Is Roll20 Integration happening?

Thanks for the screen-cap, yes, I can’t get there to see or comment. :frowning:

All I can say is, we are always very happy to chat with 3rd parties about what might be possible integration-wise, there’s LOTs of fun and useful stuff that can happen. Am always happy to chat to whoever wants to reach out.

Looks like Ben is engaged!

3 Likes

This makes me very excited!

2 Likes

And me too (Farling) :slight_smile:

I will certainly stay a sub if this happens! Such a great tool but me and my group struggle with utilization.

1 Like

I just wrote a juicy guide on doing this with VoiceMeeter Banana without VB-Cables if you’re interested.
Simplifies the setup a bit and requires less installation.

Thanks - I am on a mac… Also, I had to install the VB cable and another instance of Discord and the config was basically the last section of your guide, so it seems similar in complexity.
My main concern is that it only really works with loud sounds. Anything subtle is lost through Discord and since atmospherics depend often on subtle sounds this is a pity. Also, I don’t want the sound to be competing with the players’ voices…

Yeah, the Online Player is really going to work well for you here. :slight_smile: = pure sound, delivered directly on your own desktop = not relying on any bandwidth and subject to any compression or bumps. That’s why getting it neatly integrated with as many VTTs as possible is a big thing on our shiny list of things to get done well.

Conversations are happening…

That’s the noise suppression and voice detection getting in the way.

Check out the last bit of my guide. It shows what settings to disable in discord to solve this.

1 Like

I like this online player conceptually but it removes the client volume control from the DM which is important for setting the mood and atmosphere.

Explain? I think you may be missing a slider that is there?

Correct me if I’m wrong but the client/player has their own volume control enabling them to mute or lower the volume of the music / sound effects.

Personally, I find it important to control that as the DM. It’s a control thing, what can I say haha

Ah yes, he he, I would have never thought of that as a negative feature! I guess you’ll need to BAN your players from touching that, once a general good balance has been set? :slight_smile:

Thanks but I am completely aware of these settings, and the youtube I followed has exactly the same advice on settings as you have (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHQeAk92Lc) and the problem is still evident over many game sessions.

Also, my players report echoing across the two Discord instances, which is weird, but another reason why any such setup appears fraught - anyway, that is my take from my experiences. I am not expert at audio engineering, just a person trying to add sound to their VTT. :slight_smile:

This is exactly why you should give Syrinscape Online a try. It’s purpose-built for playing the sounds online and has far better audio quality than trying to play Syrinscape (Or any sounds) through a voice channel.

The sounds are literally played directly from your player’s devices so there is no distortion or echo

2 Likes

Yes, I am doing that now and unfortunately running into the totally anticipated reluctance of some of my players around installing another piece of software. It does work better - I agree with that. (Then again I have learned that some of my players simply muted the discord instance that was playing Syrsinscape also, so probably no net loss.) I still think the ideal solution would be without additional effort by the players, in my opinion, i.e. direct bot integration with Discord or integration with the VTT (Roll20 is what I am using). Probably VTT integration is best because Discord is built to be very focused on voice and works hard to eliminate everything else.

The YouTube guide does not show the Discord advanced settings that are very important. Specifically:
Disable “Noise Suppression” a.k.a “Krisp”
Disable “Echo Cancellation”
Disable “Noise Reduction”
Disable “Automatic Gain Control”

This is not an issue with my methodology, you are only using one Discord instance and one piece of software (VoiceMeeter Banana).
IF you have your heart set on using Discord for the sounds then try reverting to default settings and removing the Virtual Cable and running through my tutorial step by step.

Definitely agree with Steve, the online player is super simple and easy.
That is assuming you’re not a complete gronk like me and want full control over the playback volume compared to my voice

You have those weblinks for the online player. Has anyone found a way to actually call them from Roll20 seamlessly? You can put the link in chat but then it brinks up a dialogue if you’re sure you want to go there and a new page to start and again to stop.

I was hoping with the API or something a pro account could just call the weblinks with a macro and all would be well but it’s not looking like it. :frowning:

Sadly to my understanding Roll20 does not currently allow for the weblinks to work that way :frowning: