Is Roll20 Integration happening?

This is exactly why you should give Syrinscape Online a try. It’s purpose-built for playing the sounds online and has far better audio quality than trying to play Syrinscape (Or any sounds) through a voice channel.

The sounds are literally played directly from your player’s devices so there is no distortion or echo

2 Likes

Yes, I am doing that now and unfortunately running into the totally anticipated reluctance of some of my players around installing another piece of software. It does work better - I agree with that. (Then again I have learned that some of my players simply muted the discord instance that was playing Syrsinscape also, so probably no net loss.) I still think the ideal solution would be without additional effort by the players, in my opinion, i.e. direct bot integration with Discord or integration with the VTT (Roll20 is what I am using). Probably VTT integration is best because Discord is built to be very focused on voice and works hard to eliminate everything else.

The YouTube guide does not show the Discord advanced settings that are very important. Specifically:
Disable “Noise Suppression” a.k.a “Krisp”
Disable “Echo Cancellation”
Disable “Noise Reduction”
Disable “Automatic Gain Control”

This is not an issue with my methodology, you are only using one Discord instance and one piece of software (VoiceMeeter Banana).
IF you have your heart set on using Discord for the sounds then try reverting to default settings and removing the Virtual Cable and running through my tutorial step by step.

Definitely agree with Steve, the online player is super simple and easy.
That is assuming you’re not a complete gronk like me and want full control over the playback volume compared to my voice

You have those weblinks for the online player. Has anyone found a way to actually call them from Roll20 seamlessly? You can put the link in chat but then it brinks up a dialogue if you’re sure you want to go there and a new page to start and again to stop.

I was hoping with the API or something a pro account could just call the weblinks with a macro and all would be well but it’s not looking like it. :frowning:

Sadly to my understanding Roll20 does not currently allow for the weblinks to work that way :frowning:

Too bad. Something as simple as whitelisting syrinscape in the chat menu to just pass through instead of the double hurdle would work wonders.

Yeah, I’m sad that Roll20 stiiiiiill aren’t keen to get this working for their users.

Everything is ready and working on our end, and using the links and the AMAZING extensions that the community have built in Fantasy Grounds is SUPER fun = auto triggering spell sounds, sounds for critical hits and fumbles, type “fart” in chat and Syrinscape plays a fart sound = so fun!

2 Likes

Roll20 integration (or Discord integration) was my biggest reason for being excited to have won a SuperSyrin sub. Hopefully, Roll20 manages to get it working before my sub runs out. (or maybe you can pair with Astral?)

Hi @sprunka,

When you say “Roll20 integration”, what specifically do you mean. There may be a lot you can do anyway, without any help at their end.

Why don’t you outline some things you’d like and we can workshop how to get them done. :slight_smile:

Specifically, using a single source for audio. Roll20 has a music/sound player :jukebox" thing and has “decent” tracks you can switch between. I’d love the Online Player integrated into that section, where I can have 2 tabs open… Roll20 and the Syrinscape Mixer and my players would only need the Roll20 tab, no extra software downloads or accounts (even free) to create.

I have it running through Discord right now, but Discord really compresses the bitrate and makes the sound very tinny.

My players seem to prefer Discord Voice chat over Roll20’s, so this set up is going to work for now. (I think)
I know I can boost the bitrate, and that will help against the tinniness. We’ll see if everyone’s bandwidth can handle it. (I have one player that lives in rurally and another in Brasil. Both of their connections are a bit weak.)

I’m just a “can’t I just have everything I need/want in one place?” kind of person.

The reason I didn’t use Syrinscape until I won the subscription is that is was more trouble than it was worth (or so I thought before I actually got to play with the full sound sets.) I play mostly modern games and, when I first made my account and tried the free stuff, it really felt like it was more geared toward Fantasy play. Between that and the difficulty of getting everyone to have the audio, I gave up.

I’m glad I’m back though and I will almost definitely re-up when my year expires. I’m enjoying the modern and cyberpunk sound sets. And tonight I discovered uploading your own samples! (I don’t have any made yet, but I’m excited.)

Hey @sprunka
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

So you want Syrinscape’s sounds to stream from either our servers or the Online Player running on your computer through Roll20’s servers, get mixed into Roll20’s sounds and streamed out to your players. Because Syrinscape’s sounds are not just mp3s, they need to be created/mixed SOMEWHERE on a processor with a fair amount of power.

I’d be fairly confident in saying this is unlikely to occur.

Is it reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally that hard for your players to create and account, run the app, link it, and forget? Here’s a video of me getting every step done in just 3 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSRWk8rBh40

And, of course, after that initial setup, almost ALL those steps go away.

Soooooooo… if your players STILL don’t want to get that done… maybe what you are looking for is a better Chat program that will compress MUCH less… have you tried Cleanfeed? Or Zoom with the settings set to “original sounds”…? There are options out there.

NOTE: we ARE working on making joining a game MUCH easier for Players… so they don’t even need an actual account… and certainly DON’T need to remember a log in… since often MY players forget that. :smiley:

i.e. a link that:

1. triggers a download (of needed)
  2. triggers a run of the Online Player
  3. joins the Player into the GM’s game automatically (no-questions-asked).
    Sort of like a Zoom link does right now.

Works?

3 Likes

Honestly, it was hard getting some of the players to even sign into both Discord and Roll20. I turned up the bitrate on Discord and it isn’t horrible right now, so I think we’ll be running with that for the near future at least. I guess I was kind of hoping that the Roll20 music interface could stream from source the way the Player apps do. I’d still manage the Master mixer and soundboard to play the right sounds and playlists at the appropriate time. Your tutorial on running the sound and the game at the same was great. Helped me plan better!

Thanks for all you do with Syrinscape.

1 Like