We are excited to announce the Syrinscape Web Player!

I really love that this is now available. Thanks guys for all the work

1 Like

Hi,

Really love the update!

I have an issue tho. It just stopped playing sound.
Everything was working just ok.

Then at some point, after reopening the interface, sound stopped working.
When I click on a mood, I have the FX effects and all tinted with blue, but no sound. Also there is no “wave animation”, it’s just a flat audio line.
Also tried some official content, same issue.

Tried with Firefox (that I never used with Syrinscape), exact same issue.
Tried to empty the browser cache, same.

I need help :slight_smile:

EDIT: just realized that the new web player is not the same as the soundset creator!!
The link in the news page is not the same as the link in the menu. But the interface looks the same.

I’m a bit confused between all the solution i have to broadcast my sounds now.

So we have :

1. A set of 3 offline players
  2. A web based soundset creator
  3. A downloadable syrinscape online player
  4. A web player

What are the difference between the soundset creator and the web player (2 & 4) ? it’s seems to be the same interface.
Is the 3 required to share sound with the web player (4) ? Could it be used to broadcast sound from offline players ?

@florian_turchet Good questions. We are still making a few changes to the new website to make this less confusing, but hopefully the following will help right now:

• Use the Web Player for local and remote play if you’re on Windows, macOS or Linux.

This is the easiest way to get your players connected. Just click Share Audio in the menu to copy a link to invite your players. They don’t even need a Syrinscape account.

• The Online Player is still available for local and remote play if you encounter any issues with the Web Player (which is very new), or if you or your remote players need to use iOS.

• The Offline Players are still available for local play if you have no access to the internet at the gaming table.

The Master Interface will control both Web Player and Online Player clients, but your players should all use one or the other.

The green Play Now button will take you to a version of the Master Interface with an embedded Web Player.

Thanks !

Does it mean that third party integration (like the ongoing developement on Fantasy Grounds) won’t need the online player anymore ?

Fantasy Grounds is a Unity based app which I believe still cannot run the actual player (JavaScript / Web Audio API) directly within itself. But the Web Player is still dramatically easier for Fantasy Grounds and other similar apps to integrate with than the Online Player.

Each remote player will just need to click a link shared by the GM or the Fantasy Grounds app to open the Web Player in a browser, then click to activate the player. Nothing to download or install. No Syrinscape account needed.

For other web based VTTs or in fact any other web based system, we are aiming for them being able to embed the actual JavaScript / Web Audio API player within their web site or app.

Our home page and our new oneshot adventure Under a Fell Black Sky are examples of the kind of seamless integrations that should be possible.

We are currently working on making these integrations easier for our VTT friends to implement.

Sorry about the confusion here. The Web Player went live JUST last week, so there are still some confusing sentences and links on the site.

Big thing to note is this:

1. the features we used to call the SoundSet Creator are all built straight into the DM Master Interfaces of both the Web Player & Online Player
  2. the most significant difference between the Web Player & Online Player is how you get the actual sound to come out.
  • Web Player = sound comes straight out of Chrome
  • Online Player you need to install a thing

You can tell you are using the Web Player because you are at app.syrinscape.com

All sense makes?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FGU is working on more tighter integration with Syrinscape too. Still in development but they have included screenshots and notes of how it will work once released…

Also a video here where the owner, Doug Davison talks about it.

Hey @benjamin Thx for the reply.

I have experienced some bugs with the new web player:

• The sounds in the “element playlist” tab are not clickable. Or rather they are, but nothing happens.

There is a difference between the Web player & the Online player in the way they render the audio:

• Reverb presets don’t work the same way. It’s more obvious with “Through a light door” and “Through a heavy door”. The web player seems to apply another effect?
  • “Move toward” (speed) seems to apply a "Move away’ effect

I feel like the web player is the way forward.
But, at the moment, I can not rely on the Web player to create soundscapes and play them through the installable player, because the audio rendering would be different.

EDIT: compared whole moods, they really don’t sound the same :confused:
Everything sounds a bit more “bassy”, “round” in the web player, but also maybe less crisp

Hi Maxime, thanks for the details.

There HAVE been a number of regressions and bugs that have appeared with this BIG restructure of the way playback works.

One significant bug that has changed the colour of playback is a bug that stops NON-MUSIC elements from sounding correclty when they are SUPPOSED to playback as NON positioned. This is making a number of things sound MUCH more muted than they should be, hence the duller sound.

We’ve already got a fix in-house for this and will deploy asap.

I have also made some more tweaks of the reverbs that will be deployed very soon.

I’ll check out the Move toward one! Maybe it’s backwards! That would be a fun bug! :smiley:

Everyone keep reporting! It REALLY helps us! A LOT of code was touched with this rebuild so there are bound to be even more things no-one has found yet! :robot: :hammer:

Woot!!!

Thanks for noting this here @Abourious :pizza: :beers:

Hi, great!
Is there a changelog or a patch notes I can follow?
I’d like to know when fixes are pushed, so I can test again :slight_smile:

Also, not sure, but is this the subject to report bugs?

Thanks for the tip! It’s worth noting that if you are using the most recent version of Chrome, you can’t mute tabs by default (only sites). You’ll need an extension to do that, such as Tab Muter.

2 Likes

I know not every one can have the same set up but my Mac is muted during games because I use discord through the iPad.

And think my players also use a separate device to listen and talk in discord from their computer they are using Foundry on.

Kenku FM bot then signs into Syrinscape and all the sounds are piped through from there.

This should totally be a thing, obviously. Not sure of the most natural best place to put it, but I’ll let you know what we work out here.

I’ll start by saying that we play face to face and I play music for everyone from my TV, so many of the functionalities is probably less for my group.

That said, we were all very impressed.
We did some tests just for the fun of it, and it’s much simpler to have the players join the game with the link and hear and control their volume.

I personally found it funny that the direction of the circles around the sound icons is now reversed. Not sure why you made that change, but it made me giggle.

The only thing that really bothered me is that changing between different soundsets seems to take much longer than it did before the web player, which could cause unnecessary pauses in gameplay. I wonder if there is a way to load everything faster? I don’t know what your system architecture looks like, but now that the web player is ready, perhaps you can look into loading times and such?

Anyway, I love this new approach. So much easier, and I suspect this will not crash as much as the old player was prone to, which is always good.

Hmmm, the new web player update has made syrinscape unusable for me as it now hogs over 70% of my CPU resources when used in Chrome. This results into unbearable lag in the sounds. Is there a way to just use it the way it used to be?

You can still use it the way it used to be.

However if you want to use the web player I use KENKU FM, the CPU usage is still higher but nowhere near as high as using chrome.

How does using the old system work? I can’t seem to find it anywhere