We are excited to announce the Syrinscape Web Player!

Sorry about the confusion here. The Web Player went live JUST last week, so there are still some confusing sentences and links on the site.

Big thing to note is this:

1. the features we used to call the SoundSet Creator are all built straight into the DM Master Interfaces of both the Web Player & Online Player
  2. the most significant difference between the Web Player & Online Player is how you get the actual sound to come out.
  • Web Player = sound comes straight out of Chrome
  • Online Player you need to install a thing

You can tell you are using the Web Player because you are at app.syrinscape.com

All sense makes?! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FGU is working on more tighter integration with Syrinscape too. Still in development but they have included screenshots and notes of how it will work once released…

Also a video here where the owner, Doug Davison talks about it.

Hey @benjamin Thx for the reply.

I have experienced some bugs with the new web player:

• The sounds in the “element playlist” tab are not clickable. Or rather they are, but nothing happens.

There is a difference between the Web player & the Online player in the way they render the audio:

• Reverb presets don’t work the same way. It’s more obvious with “Through a light door” and “Through a heavy door”. The web player seems to apply another effect?
  • “Move toward” (speed) seems to apply a "Move away’ effect

I feel like the web player is the way forward.
But, at the moment, I can not rely on the Web player to create soundscapes and play them through the installable player, because the audio rendering would be different.

EDIT: compared whole moods, they really don’t sound the same :confused:
Everything sounds a bit more “bassy”, “round” in the web player, but also maybe less crisp

Hi Maxime, thanks for the details.

There HAVE been a number of regressions and bugs that have appeared with this BIG restructure of the way playback works.

One significant bug that has changed the colour of playback is a bug that stops NON-MUSIC elements from sounding correclty when they are SUPPOSED to playback as NON positioned. This is making a number of things sound MUCH more muted than they should be, hence the duller sound.

We’ve already got a fix in-house for this and will deploy asap.

I have also made some more tweaks of the reverbs that will be deployed very soon.

I’ll check out the Move toward one! Maybe it’s backwards! That would be a fun bug! :smiley:

Everyone keep reporting! It REALLY helps us! A LOT of code was touched with this rebuild so there are bound to be even more things no-one has found yet! :robot: :hammer:

Woot!!!

Thanks for noting this here @Abourious :pizza: :beers:

Hi, great!
Is there a changelog or a patch notes I can follow?
I’d like to know when fixes are pushed, so I can test again :slight_smile:

Also, not sure, but is this the subject to report bugs?

Thanks for the tip! It’s worth noting that if you are using the most recent version of Chrome, you can’t mute tabs by default (only sites). You’ll need an extension to do that, such as Tab Muter.

2 Likes

I know not every one can have the same set up but my Mac is muted during games because I use discord through the iPad.

And think my players also use a separate device to listen and talk in discord from their computer they are using Foundry on.

Kenku FM bot then signs into Syrinscape and all the sounds are piped through from there.

This should totally be a thing, obviously. Not sure of the most natural best place to put it, but I’ll let you know what we work out here.

I’ll start by saying that we play face to face and I play music for everyone from my TV, so many of the functionalities is probably less for my group.

That said, we were all very impressed.
We did some tests just for the fun of it, and it’s much simpler to have the players join the game with the link and hear and control their volume.

I personally found it funny that the direction of the circles around the sound icons is now reversed. Not sure why you made that change, but it made me giggle.

The only thing that really bothered me is that changing between different soundsets seems to take much longer than it did before the web player, which could cause unnecessary pauses in gameplay. I wonder if there is a way to load everything faster? I don’t know what your system architecture looks like, but now that the web player is ready, perhaps you can look into loading times and such?

Anyway, I love this new approach. So much easier, and I suspect this will not crash as much as the old player was prone to, which is always good.

Hmmm, the new web player update has made syrinscape unusable for me as it now hogs over 70% of my CPU resources when used in Chrome. This results into unbearable lag in the sounds. Is there a way to just use it the way it used to be?

You can still use it the way it used to be.

However if you want to use the web player I use KENKU FM, the CPU usage is still higher but nowhere near as high as using chrome.

How does using the old system work? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

@jenskrijgsman Here’s how to use the old Online Player - https://syrinscape.com/online/

However, we are aware of some performance issues that have been affecting web and online player, which would manifest as latency between triggering and hearing a sound.

We have made some changes a few hours ago that we hope has improved the situation significantly, and we are continuing to investigate.

Are you still experiencing long delays between triggering and hearing a sound?

1 Like

I keep testing when I can and I think the updates you made seem to be making a difference for me. Seems more responsive and I keep trying different browsers and so far firefox seems to have the least “clicks” when transitionioning moods. When using Chrome and Edge I seem to hear a click most times (one click) when transitioning moodes. With firefox so far I am not.

Thanks for the continued work!

I have noticed slight lag in Chrome (less than it was at the beginning), but not the clicking sound you talked about.
I can also confirm that Chrome goes up to about 40% CPU usage with the player, while FireFox seem to cap at around 20% and works much faster, so it seems better to work with FireFox when using the online web player.

With me it depends what moods playing.

Drider battle from D&D sends my cpu up to 70% plus.

Ambient tavern mood is about 35%.

I’m seriously thinking of upgrading. Sounds like a silly question but would simply getting a faster CPU handle it better?

Currently a Mac 2017 intel 5 quad core.

There DOES seem to be some pain point with Mac 2017s. I’ve definitely heard that model mentioned a few times by people having a hot run.

Note: we ARE looking into performance and there is quite a lot of potential to reduce the load on some machines… so stay tuned for stuff in that area from us.

Though: for the moment we are looking still at MUCH more critical server (latency etc) stuff. :bug: :hammer: We have made some quite good progress, but there is more to do… and a few regressions to fix up (in sound creation stuff). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you soooo much :slight_smile:
Finally the players do not need to register and install player-app anymore. For the amount of oneshots I’m GM’ing this is so great.
So I don’t need to use audiohijack + ground control any more :slight_smile:

1 Like