There must be a better way to find sounds

Try running the sounds you own in the Online Player… the search engine in there is epically better… and ABOUT to get even better!

ALSO: These search functions are coming to the Stand Alone players very soon.

ALSO ALSO: once you’ve played with them, give us some feedback here. :slight_smile:

@dpilsner

Online searching options looking good Ben! Thank you for the redirect from the Desktop app. I was not clear in my original post, but specifically I was in need of a search in the SoundSet Creator.
As a subscriber I have access to everything, but have to DL the SS, to see whats in it.
I am very excitedly awaiting the new search stuff code drop :slight_smile:

OMG, this, so this.

I really think that time needs to be spent making the offline player UI better.

At the very least:

Currently playing: And the name should be a button to go to it.
Search: Search needs to be much better. The search results are not in alphabetical order. Searching on “battle” I get: Bugbear Battle, Jungleplanet Dinolaser, Red Dragon City Raid, Barghest Battle, Battle of Wolven Pass)
No idea why the first couple are out of order.

Second, please, please, please remove the short cut codes from the front of the names, if they influence results. Although, again, I don’t know how this works. My results go from . . . Yeth Hound Battle, Zombie Battle, BO Attack on Sandpoint, BO Glassworks, BO Catacombs of Wrath, BO Thistletop, BSB Dark Winds Whisper. How do I remember that sometimes it has a code in front of it and sometimes it doesn’t?

Third, even within search results, the results make no sense and it goes back to what I said in another post that I have to have things memorized, which I find unacceptable. In my above search result, many of those sets don’t have my search term, battle, in them. So, I have to click on each one individually to find what it is I’m looking for. There needs to be a way to see the sub sets from the search that are matching the criteria.

Fourth, making my own sound set under custom? Well, I had better name it exaclty every element that it contains because it only plays it, it doesn’t tell me anything about it. That leaves me having to re-search (and research) all my sound sets to find how I created something, if I want to make a variation of it, but without some of picked items and add in others.

In my mind, if you base everything on the Elements (I don’t know what to call them? In the UI, it’s soundset, first column (sound?), Elements?, then specific sounds, then global one shots? For example, under BO Glassworks, it’s sound? Outside the Glassworks, Element? Burnt Offerings Music, sound Don’t break that!, and then global one shots. So, again, if you base everything on the elements, Burnt Offerings music in this case, it would be nice to be able to search on them, see them in results, and play with them, plus sub search, and organize.

I don’t find that the online player is going to be better and if that is going to be the way going forward, then I would hope everything is done through there, with limited access if you don’t have them (but great promotion to see what is there!) as a way to make new sounds.

I apologize if I’m being too blunt but as much as I LOVE this program, I am frustrated weekly in trying to find the sounds I found a few days ago that I wanted to use for the next session because I had to memorize stuff. And then forgot. I’m running a game set in the swamp and while searching on ‘swamp’ gives me a good selection, there are still things I find that could work but it’s a different search. And there is no easy way to see both results. Then to do a drag and drop of sounds into my own area, call it a named bucket, that I can select later and drag from there to create my sound.

I LOVE Syrinscape but at the moment? I don’t need more sounds. This probably has enough sounds to last me a decade. I need the means to use them better and more efficiently, which means search, drag and drop, and more helpful ways to generate my own custom in a much easier way.

Thanks!

1 Like

So yes, the next thing to do is to go back to the Offline player. We plan to do a wide user survey offering a whole lot of enticing options (including ones taken from feedback like this = so thank you) and let the user prioritise our list for us… and then get stuck into it!

Yes. This is on our list to do. :slight_smile:

Have you tried the search functions in the Online Player… that’s the sort of direction we are heading.

Blunt is ALWAYS welcome!

Your thoughts are noted! And absorbed! And ready to be acted on!

Stay tuned for that user survey! :smiley: :tiger: :hamburger: :pizza:

Okay, I’m back. Sorry.

Did I miss the survey?

Let me approach this from another angle.

I’m going to run a game. I know it’s going to be in Waterdeep. I need generic city sounds, preferably for day/night but also Dock Ward (sea/harbor sounds), Trades Ward (craftsman working, selling), and the Market. How do I find those? I’m not making things up before hand as I find it too clunky for me to make custom sounds. I’m constrained to what already exists.

I don’t know which way they are going to go or which lead they are going to take. They might go to a haunted house where they will fight ghouls or skeletons. They might go into the sewers where they will fight cultists. They might have to fight something in their mind, so I will need creepy haunting music to set the moods.

They will definitely be at their Inn, so I need tavern sounds.

How would someone else go about finding these sound sets, on the fly, to play at the game? Please give me as explicit directions as you can. I not only want to find multiple sound sets that might work, I expect it. I can do a bit of picking between the presets and would prefer a choice. Maybe I even switch back and forth between a few. (How do I tell what’s playing?)

Thanks!

Right at the moment there isn’t a way to tell which soundsets are playing if you have multiple elements going at once, though that is on the list of improvements.

For finding the right sounds, there is a search bar at the top of the soundset lists on the player. Searching for key words like “city” “market” etc should get you what you want.

However, I have a thread here:Some good generic campaigns to help you get organised!
I have organized all of the soundsets into generic campaigns - all monsters, all locations, all adventure paths etc. I also organized them into “Town/City”, “Dungeon”, “Sewer”, “Fear and Horror”, “Undead”, which brings your searching down from searching the whole player to scrolling through a short list of similarly-themed sets.

Once you know the general trend of where your players are going, you can quickly select the campaign and set you want, or know the key words you need to search for it quickly. I too am an extemporaneous DM, and I search, play, and mix on the fly all the time. Familiarity has given me speed, and the generic campaigns have helped with that tremendously.

1 Like

@evildmguy, glad to see I am not the only one who wishes for a better improvisation user experience. I find that new users, who wish to jump in and start playing stuff on the fly, without spending time making soundsets, is one of the most difficult things about Syrinscape.

I feel your pain, and recently created a thread about it myself.

The good news is that the Syrinscape team has made notes and discussed it internally, and will be working towards improving this in the future. There is no official timeline, but hold tight!

In the meantime, @HECook has some great material In the link above, but user to user, you will want to get into the online creator, and start building campaign soundsets and elements that specifically match your scenes. There is a steep learning curve, but once you get it, there is that aha moment, and everything just flows effortlessly. Check out the video tutorials @benjamin has made for a guideline.

3 Likes

@evildmguy; @dorpond I’ve made the same plaintive cries as a primarily freeforming/homebrew GM for as long as I’ve been with Syrinscape. The sad truth is it seems their business model is built mainly around specific licensed soundsets for the big brand adventure path campaigns. I get around it by mainly using Syrinscape as a player for soundscapes by Other Providers ™ and simple music playlists, which I know is squandering Ss’s potential, but at least it’s manageable.

I still think the ultimate solution to this will involve us eating @HECook’s brains in order to steal their encyclopedic knowledge of soundsets, but that particular Feature Request appears to have been lost in the shuffle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hrm… That’s a shame…

Hey guys!

For me, Dungeon Mastering is at its core improvisory. I built it for ME, specifically to help me run sound at a table which is freeform, and always rapidly changes unexpectedly.

I frequently use Syrinscape to DJ live shows in front of an audience where I have little to NO prior knowledge of what is going to happen.

With a fairly good knowledge of where content is and good use of the search functions, I am able to please Dungeon Masters and audiences alike.

Yes, Syrinscape is specifically designed for improvised, spontaneous cueing up of sound.

AND YES, we are currently working on improving the search functions and organisational setup of sound EVEN more, specifically based on the ideas of users and specifically this thread.

So THANK YOU for the feedback here, keep it coming. We are hearing you, and will continue to make Syrinscape better!

3 Likes

I suppose the big gap here for many people compared to ME is my VAST and detailed knowledge of what there is in Syrinscape and where might be a good place to look.

One of the things we have done (for our SuperSyrins) is things like the:
Elements Rain (a collection of all the rain elements in Syrinscape all in one place)
Elements Wind (the same for wind)
And the Music SoundSets that contain just different moods of music.
And Element Horror (a whole pallette of sounds for craft horror soundscapes)
Are people using these? Should we do more of these.

ALSO:

1. We are working on making searching better and better. Do people think the search functions in the Online Player as better than those in the Fantasy Player (because we will be porting those through soon) (and continuing to make those search functions better everywhere too) (based on the feedback here)
  2. Maybe I should do some good demo videos of the steps I take to find and craft sounds together (perhaps a capture of me actually improvising at a live event?)

What do you all think?

I am not aware of any of those things you mentioned. I’d love to see more videos on how to better use this tool.

Regarding those elements, I was not aware of them, and now thinking about it, as an improv user, I think all sound can be broken down into the following categories, for tagging, organizing, grouping, and whatever else the devs or you can do moving forward, to make thing easier to find and manage:

• weather (rain, snow, wind, thunder, etc)
  • ambience (anvil, bell, crickets, walking, )
  • creatures (goblins, orcs, trolls, dragons, etc)
  • vocal (“you shall die this day!”, “taste my fist!”)
  • Narrative (all the module character talking stuff)
  • music (combat, calm, suspenseful, sad, romantic, etc)

Those are just an example, but I could see myself searching and maybe even looking for soundsets moods, and even sample tags, organized in a similar fashion?

I will experiment and see if perhaps I make my own soundsets this way, if it will make things easier during session. In addition, I will search for for “elements” that you mention above.

One things for certain, is that we need to make this process as easy and as obvious as possible for new users, so maybe even having those tags in our face somehow, to make it obvious that everything is lumped into these categories for easy finding, might be another option?

Let me chew on this a while, experiment, and report back.

1 Like

You really need to take a look at the DOM:SoundLink Module :smile:

I’ve already done the work, all 6000+ Sounds and Moods, catalogued, searchable, and ready to go.

Of course, it is a Fantasy Grounds Module, so it only works with Fantasy Grounds, but as FG is arguable the best VTT out there…

1 Like

@benjamin I think we might have an alternative to @HECook 's brains then.

(brings out spoon)

2 Likes

The simplest way that I’ve found to learning the sets is just to play with them a lot. I’ll have them running as I’m surfing the net and let them soak in, so when game time rolls around I have a better idea of what’s available and where.

So, soak your brains in sounds and also maple syrup. Helps a lot. :smiley:

More seriously, I find it really interesting, @benjamin that you say you designed Syrinscape to support yourself as an improv GM, I don’t dispute it in the slightest and I really think you’ve hit the nail on the head with why that works for you but maybe not so well for us other mere mortals.

I’ve kind of built myself into that same position with the 3rd party soundscape playlists I’ve built up… I know what’s in them, so when my players take a ride on a modern subway, I know that (redacted) produced a suitable soundscape for it which I saved in my modern city playlist. And if there isn’t something suitable, I can fall back on the various music playlists I’ve created, again because I know what’s in them.

I think the Elements soundscape idea is a good step - I discovered them last week, along with things like the Classic Adventure community soundset - generic content that might not be perfectly tailored to the situation, but are more easily accessible.

I will say that I’ve found on-the-fly soundscape management an order of magnitude easier since the creator functionality was folded into the online player.

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, I think the difficulty is the huge range of content available, especially to Supersyrins, that makes tracking down the perfect elements appear so daunting. Which is kind of a good problem to have… but it’s still a bit of a problem.

Disclaimer because Internet: I’m still a fan - Syrinscape broke my long-held aversion to subscription services (though I’d still prefer a bought and owned app, just sayin’) and I’m continually impressed with what it does and how it’s improving. I just know that I’m still not making the best use of it. Please think of the above as not so much a whinge but more a shared meditation on how to improve that, whether through changes to the service or changes in how we as customers make use of it.

1 Like

Ok, so we all agree that Syrinscape is great for people who know the material very well, I think if we all put our heads together to make it just as easy for new users, it will be a huge win for everyone.

Thankfully we have a great team of people here to brainstorm with. We’ve got this!

I’m sorry for my erratic posts.

Going all the back to HECook’s first response to me, I have made campaigns for myself.

I also use the search feature.

Hmm. Okay, I don’t want this to be a really long explanation. Let me step back.

I just find the experience lacking. Or I don’t understand the search algorithm. My post was asking people for specific steps on how to find the sets needed. Here is an example of why I find it confusing.

I go to all soundsets and search on ‘elements’:

The first one in the result, RSAC Temple of Hram has this:

Already, I’m looking at the soundset where the title nor the choices don’t have the word element in them. Huh?

Neither does Cleric Spell (Kyra), nor Clockwork Entities. Elemental - Earth at least has the name in it. This is what I find confusing.

What it seems to come down to is having it memorized and I just don’t have the time to devote to do that. Or the ability with music. If that’s what it takes, which is fine, I will have to accept this will always be a struggle for me.

I’m disappointed because I see the potential in this. I could make the sound groupings (I don’t remember the term for the middle column and elements off the top of my head.) It seems to me that there need to be a way to find the base elements, or building blocks used, to be able to piece things together into groups.

I’m talking about these:

I would need search functionality on these, so I can pick and choose what I need for my own soundsets and then make sure I name them well.

Thanks for the replies!

I’m given to understand that the SoundSet Creator has a more detailed and tagged search that will give you much closer to what you’re looking for, and at some point in the near future, that same search will be put in the players as well.

If I recall correctly, the reason that a search for “element” would bring up seemingly unrelated soundsets and sounds is that they were initially categorized on the files used to make the sounds, which might not always match up with what they’re called in the sets. (Correct me if I’m way off-base with that @benjamin) That’s why the Creator search function is being brought over.

I know why Cleric Spells and Wizard Spells come up for “element” though - because each has a one-shot called “endure elements”.

For the current search function you sometimes have to get quite specific. If you want to bring up the four “elements” sets (fire, wind, horror, rain), you need to type the word "elements " Notice there’s a space after the S? Putting the space matches the formatting of how the “Elements - Whatever” are titled, so only those four sets show up.