Syrinscape Online Oneshot Low Volume

@kenanmd_2004 If i may, i would like to make an alteration to the original soundset on the server, to see, if that eliminates the problem for you. Are you okay with that?

I have also tried the “SWFD Custom Voice Tracks” soundset with the online player and didn’t run into any issues. This is very mysterious. Are you guys sure, that you adjusted the master volume on the GMs’ side and the players’ volume on the client side? Sometimes it’s the small things that are overlooked but have a big impact on things. I can’t recall how often i ran into volume problems and discovered later, that i just forgot to adjust the slider. :wink:

Sure! Yes try whatever you think may help. As for your question regarding the master volume, it is set properly. My other (non-custom) tracks that come from Syrinscape’s own elements works at correct volume. Thank you for your continued assistance

1 Like

@kenanmd_2004 I tried a fix, please testrun the new version, if you have the time. :wink:

I’m looking at this now. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for looking into it New_Vision and Benjamin. Although slightly better, the one shots are still softer in volume than music. If you figure out anything else, let me know

OK! We have reproduced this effect now.

These things are pesky to fix until we actually manage to make them happen for us, so thank you for your patience! :beers: :smile:

We are fixing it NOW!

1 Like

That’s great news! Thank you for helping me. Let me know if my process of adding the sounds needs to be done differently in the future.

Hey @kenanmd_2004

Some questions for you:

1. Can you tell me: did you have Players following your game when you heard this? I experienced it just now, while I was running a game. But My Online Player has return to normal volume balance now.

2. If the above is true… did you have a Player restart their Online Player… while sound was already playing… or something like that… because we did, and then we noticed the effect.

But… annoyingly now… that may players have left the game… the balance is back to normal.

1. If you use the Online Player NOW, do you get the same effect?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Benjamin,

Some answers to your questions…

1. Yes I had players following the game when the problem happened. They all also reported to me the low volume problem (couldnt hear the one shots without maxing out their player volume, which then made the unaffected based syrinscape sounds too loud).

2. There are indeed times we have to restart out players (due to freezes or other minor glitches). However, to my memory, it happened before and after any restarts to the online playerr.

3. Now after just playing it this morning, the volumes are A LOT better.

What do you think the problem was? If I notice it again in the future, are there any steps I should follow to correct it? Thank you again for your time.

Also, as we have a game tonight… I am noticing the Soundset “SWFD Character Oneshots” is having this volume problem VERY BADLY. Espcially with all the “Isshwarr” titled oneshots. I even tried recreating the soundset again as “SWFD Character Oneshots Test” and increasing the Soundset volume to 175% and it did not help. This is very odd :confused:

OK! I think I have it nailed down.

Can people try this and let me know if you get the same result…

To reproduce.

1. Run the standalone Syrinscape Fantasy Player
  2. Install SOUNDSET “eok Arkona Palace”
  3. Run the MOOD “Marai rakshasa battle”
  4. Note what the ELEMENT “Rakshasas” sounds like. https://www.syrinscape.com/admin/syrinscape/element/225107/?_changelist_filters=chapter__id__exact%3D10045%26q%3Drakshasa
  5. Note the SAMPLE “Dark_Sphinx_complete_processed” in this ELEMENT has “Is 3D” unchecked, which means we should be hearing NO reverb and no positioning. https://www.syrinscape.com/admin/syrinscape/soundsample/521296/
  6. Yet when we play that same MOOD in the Online Player, the music is SUPER ECHOY and LOUD. There is positioning and reverb applied to this MUSIC ELEMENT that should NOT be.

THANKS in advance!

It is very possible that you need to KILL and RESTART someone’s Online Player to make this bug manifest. Yes?

AND in the meantime I’ve found a work around.

Ensure that music elements where you have samples set to NOT 3D ALSO have Reverb set to OFF!

I’ve done this on “SWFD Custom Voice Tracks”. Check this now… and it should sound right, whether the bug is manifesting or NOT!

Works?

Hello Benjamin, sorry for the delayed response! I was out of town. Ok I tried creating a new sound set called ‘SWFD Character One Shots’ with freshly made elements using the same sample files. I turned 3D sound to OFF and I turned reverb to OFF. I just uploaded the soundset. I then closed the Soundset creator and opened the Syrinscape Online player. I tried to play the sounds and they were very low volume again. Im curious to see if you can duplicate that.

Ok so to date, the only thing I can reliably do to make an element composed of a custom sample play on Syrinscape Online at a volume all my players can hear is to make it a ‘Music’ element. ‘One shot’ elements play at super low volume no matter what adjustments I try and make (which include boosting overall soundest volume, turning off 3D sound, Turning off reverb… none of these help). Hopefully this helps you figure out the problem. Turning it to a music element makes it play perfectly at a volume where everyone can hear it. That same sample played as a “one Shot” is too soft in volume for anyone to hear.

OK @kenanmd_2004

OK. We’ve found an additional bug in the Online player Playback. A new build will pushed today… so stay tuned.

As far as I can tell NOW… the Player and Creator AND Online Player are all sounding exactly alike again!

*cross all goblin fingers and toes

2 Likes

Not sure if this was solved, but in our recent efforts to leverage the power of SyrinScape for our Eberron Podcast (stay tuned!), we were recording 6 separate tracks of in-person audio! (1 DM, 4 players, 1 SyrinScape) and experienced the same issue with having OneShots be EXTREMELY SOFT. Our crack wiz audio engineer felt that it was the result of ‘Phasing’, in which audio is split into L and R channels, but if resynced and played, would result in a ‘zero-ed’ out waveform of extremely soft audio. We would solve our local recording issue by splitting the Aux out of the Laptop into L and R inputs into our mixer/recorder.
It worked liked a charm (albeit resulting in 7! tracks of audio. Those L & R channels would have to be merged later to result in 1 finished SS track).

Could this issue of PHASING be considered in the backend of the SyrinScape software? If played locally, one will have little issue since L & R audio would be delivered from laptop/desktop speakers just fine, but if delivered via Online Player it would have to be ‘merged’ into a single track and thus suffer the effects of Phasing, canceling out the waveform to near zero (my best hypothetical guess).

I Love SyrinScape and am finally using the Custom Soundscape tools exactly like how I imagined It would be for our creative endeavors. Thanks! (May post on other SS threads to update with my story)

Yes. I get the feeling this is sometimes the problem with some bluetooth speakers making the OneShots (which are most frequently in the centre) very soft too.

NOTE: You can put the output of Syrinscape into mono, in case that helps… but note that if your phase is reversed somewhere and then mixed together this will actually cancel out ALL of Syrinscape’s sound… except some that might be leaking in through the vocal mics etc… these things can be quite confusing sometimes… and reasonably hard for us to problem shoot at a distance. :smiley: :bug::hammer:

ANY READING THIS IN THE FUTURE: yes, consider the issue of phasing and cancelling when trying to work out why some things are MUCH softer in Syrinscape in some contexts

ALSO NOTE: the Fantasy Player has a OneShot volume slider that goes from 0% - 200% allowing it to DOUBLE the volume of the OneShots relative to the other content in Syrinscape.

This slider is thus far missing from the Online Player Master UI… hence it’s sometimes hard to get the volume out of the OneShots that you want there.

This is on the list of things to fix!

Sense makes?

Sorry to crash the conversation :slight_smile:
But is this related to my ticket?

1 Like

Yes, very possibly! :slight_smile:

Party crashes are always welcome… as long as they bring virtual beer!

1 Like