Syrinscape Master/Minion Combo Update

I’m very interested about Syrinscape but the Master / Minion combo is crucial for me since about 95 % of my gaming happens in an online environment. Your post got me to think on trying out Syrinscape before it’s out though. Kind of learning the tricks so when it’s out, I’ll be ready. But there is no point doing this sike 6 months in advance. So I would like to ask more about the beta. How certain is it that it will happen in November and will I be on it automatically with SuperSyrin subscription?

@maetco666 => Not sure if you are aware or not, but if you are using the Fantasy Grounds VTT there is already a solution to this “Master/Minion” setup via the DOE: Sound Extension (Plug-In).

If this is relevant too you, then check it out over on the Fantasy Grounds Forums.

Cheers

1 Like

I use Roll20 but thanks for trying to help.

@maetco666 => Weeeeelllll, at the risk of starting a flame war, you know you could …

:smile:

Seriously, Syrinscape is a great product, and Ben’s a great person, so even without the Master/Minion its worth using it. You could try using it over a VoIP app such as Teamspeak or Discord (we’ve had quite a lot of success doing this) and there’s plenty of help around if you find you need it.

So I hope we’ll see more of you around these boards, OK?

Cheers

I really hope this comes to fruition because this is exactly what I wanted Syrinscape to be as someone who’s friends have spread across the world.

I look forward to sending lots of bug reports and feedback when the beta comes out eventually.

I’ve read the pro tips on this matter and it have seemed that it’s a lot of work to even try and there is no quarantee to get it to work. How long would you say it takes to set it up through Discord for a person who has never used Voice Meter or Virtual Audio Cable? Also should the free demo of Syrinscape work with the setup so I can try first whether I get it to work and subscribe only if it does?

Yes, the “free” demo is the real program - its the extra Soundsets that we pay for.

Setting it up with Discord - shouldn’t take that long, perhaps 10 minutes to get things set up (once Syrinscape & Discord is installed) - @Gwydion helps people all the time (and I know he’s seen this thread) so he’s the one to ask in detail (I set it up with Teamspeak - and wrote the Wiki Entry for it on the FG Wiki, but not Discord - but the fundamental theory’s the same.)

Shout out to @Gwydion - he’ll get you sorted if you have trouble :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I had a completely wrong idea of how hard it is to get it to work through a VoIP. I did a test and it worked on first try. Now I feel obligated to subscribe :smile:. Ben, thank your community for an extra paying customer.

4 Likes

Welcome @maetco666 and thanks @Dulux_Oz and everyone else’s! It’s officially true we have the best and most helpful community ever!! Ok perhaps it’s not ‘official’ but really we could not ask for a better community :grin:

2 Likes

How about now?

(Kidding!) :smile:

One thing I did want to ask/suggest: Will the minion side of the player have its own volume control? From experience of using sound & music via TeamSpeak & Skype, it’s almost impossible to set a single audio level for transmission that suits everyone when you’re trying to combine background audio with voice comms. People using headsets are going to hear things differently to people using speakers… who may hear things differently depending on the ambient audio levels where they are. Wherever you set the volume there’s always that one guy who wants you to turn it down more!
Recent experience in a game where we were using Discord for voice chat and the DM was using the Roll20 jukebox for background audio really brought home to me how useful it is for everyone to be able to adjust the background audio levels separately in relation to the voice audio, setting it at whatever level they find most comfortable (or off completely, if they have no joy in their hearts and hate puppies).
So while you say in the video that the minion player won’t have any dials or controls, I’m hoping you’ll consider giving it an independent volume control at least.

Dr V

PS… now? :smile:

To my knowledge, yes they,ll have volume control of their own player but the Master will have control of what sounds are played. @benjamin can confirm that but yeah I totally agree that individual volume control is very important

Along this line, would it be possible to add some sort of “Max volume”? I forget what it’s technically called but some TV’s and amps have this setting? IIRC iTunes and some media players can do this on converting of audio as well?

I have no idea if this is possible really. But sometimes some sounds (animal roar comes to mind) come in really loud compared to some sounds.

Almost like the volume slider needs a min/max setting? I run on a 7.1 system so I know some of it is because of the “distance” setting. Maybe we could get a global min/max distance setting we could adjust?

From adding my own sounds via creator, I know it’s a PITA to really dial in volume across the wide range of sounds (so I’m definitely not faulting Ben, building dynamic soundscapes is an art and you really appreciate his work when you have to do it yourself lol!)

HI @jamz

Yep. You’re talking about limiting and/or compression.

What I do when I want this is I turn up the master volume lots (to max) (on Syrinscape) and then turn down the actual speakers. Then as everything ads together, Syrinscape will compress everything to fit under Unity’s audio output limit.

Give that go?

Works for you?

Meeting today with the dev team says we are still good heading for our beta in November. :smile: :beers:

3 Likes

IsItNovemberYet? Isit? Isit? :smile:

Slightly more seriously… I’m really keen to try this. I’ve been experimenting today with Discord (my group’s current VOIP of choice) and while I managed to get it to function, the quality just isn’t there. Plus the need to set the voice activation so low means the mic picks up every wheeze and fart I make, which is far from ideal :-o

3 Likes

The other option/workaround for now is to create a separate instance in discord for your sounds. You can set your voice to PTT and the sounds to constant. This requires voicemeeter or similar program, though and is a bit more difficult. Or, you can really go crazy like I do and push out sounds through a direct audio feed through VLC… :smile:

But I digress… Yes, is it November yet? Am I signed up for the beta! lol

1 Like

Did we say November, we meant… Haha nope testing is going well so fingers crossed we will still be on schedule. I’ve probably just cursed it now though, sorry!! :smiley:

ETA = Soon™

:joy:

1 Like

OMG! I used Syrinscape on my desktop and now that I’m DMing from a different location I downloaded it onto my mobile phone, and got all set up to use it and BAM! went to a different screen to get some notes and the sound was gone!! So I too am excitedly awaiting for a way to pay Syrinscape in the background of my phone! Yay!!

I currently run syrinscape with a Fantasy Grounds / Skype setup (using voicemeeter and VAC). I run from a laptop with 5 players all on video chat, pumping the sound through to them. I don’t have any issues with sound quality or lag, so I am trying to understand why master/minion is so anticipated? Is it a huge gain for folks with different setups? What am I missing?

It seems like pumping the sound through my connection to the players like I do now would be ideal, as it requires no downloads or setup from their end. My players aren’t the most tech savvy, so getting them up and running takes a lot of troubleshooting in the beginning- what with all their differing computer situations and all.

I feel like I am missing an awesome benefit of master/minion- everyone seems so excited! I wanna be excited too- please tell me why I should be!