Syrinscape and Discord (Updated)

Morning, all! I decided to put together some new videos on how to setup Syrinscape with Discord. I have three updated videos as follows:

#1 - Syrinscape with Discord using VM (through your mic):

#2 - Syrinscape with Discord using VM (separate from your mic):

#3 - Syrinscape with Discord using Virtual Audio Cable only (separate from your mic):

I still recommend cleanfeed as in my mind the best option, but I know a lot of people still use discord so I thought these might help. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Fantastic, thanks for doing these @lordgwydione :grin:

1 Like

Slightly easier than two different Discord installs - run one in a browser session. We tested that today with the Syrinscape user in the Chrome tab and it worked flawlessly.

3 Likes

Hi. I just tried your technique 3 (creating a separate Discord account to connect Syrinscape using a virtual cable) and am running in to challenges. When I have my Windows sound output to the virtual cable input, I can load Syrinscape and play sounds and I can see the meter on the mic check in Discord move showing that it’s working (but I can’t hear them myself).

But when I set my windows system sound back to my headphones so I can hear things, it stops working. I can hear Syrinscape through my headphones b/c its play on on my local machine but it’s not showing up in the Discord channel through the virtual cable.

Could there be something going on where Syrinscape switches sounds devices after loading? Maybe a recent windows update or something? I’m running Windows 10 v 1909.

Hey @brian.weeden. I think we just need to tweak a setting.

Before you launch syrinscape, do you switch the windows default output to Cable Input? Then as soon as syinscape launches do you switch it back to your speakers? If you do that, as long as your two discord instance are set up correctly it sholdl work.

No, Syrinscape shouldn’t be switching sound devices after loading. If you are going through the process of switching your playback/output in windows as described above before you launch syrinscape and it isn’t working, can you post screenshots of your two discord instances? I’ll review and see if I see something wrong.

There is one easy solution that I haven’t seen here that a friend taught me. You can either use the Online Player or the downloaded players. This works great for anyone who isn’t comfortable trying to set up VACs.

1. Open up your player of choice
  2. Go into your Discord settings.
  3. Open up “Game Activity” and click “add it”. Use the dropdown to select your player.
  4. Exit discord settings
  5. In your discord voice chat you can then “stream” your player.
  6. Tell all your players to watch your stream and boom, done.

The online player doesn’t show what soundsets you are using but the downside is you have to have the online control panel open. I prefer using the Fantasy Player running myself but either option works.

I had changed it but not the default :slight_smile:

One more question - if you close Syrinscape, you need to redo this process, right?

Yep. I made a comment on this in another forum. You’re right. Pretty good, simple option!

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately you do.

So, when I have the default output set to my Virtual Cable then Syrinscape works fine. The second I change the default audio output from my Virtual Cable to my speakers Syrinscape only plays from my default audio output of my speakers. My players can no longer hear it over discord. I have gone over all the videos but have so far been unable to get this to work. Is there ANY plans for Syrinscape to add in a setting to change the audio output? If not there really should be, a work around is fine for a short period of time but long term it is unrealistic.

Basically what I am finding is that Syrinscape is in fact following whatever the default output device is no matter what.

First off welcome! Second, they are working on that ability so right now I have a workaround. You can use a small free program called audio router. See this video

Jump to 34:51 so you don’t need to watch my entire video!

2 Likes

Yes, like @lordgwydione said it’s something that we are working on adding. Syrinscape is built using the powerful Unity Engine, which is partly what allows for the apps 3D sound. Oddly the older versions of the engine didn’t allow for changes to audio output, it just defaulted to what was active when the program launched. Thankfully the newer version allows for a lot more flexibility, which means we can finally look at adding it as an option :grinning::crossed_fingers::tada:

1 Like

You just sold a sub. :laughing: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Thank you very much. I finagled a work around for my game tonight, but I will go through this and get a better setup for my next game as well as my standard gaming. You are a champion!! :+1: :+1: :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m having this same issue actually.

1. Start both Discord Instances
  2. Set Windows Output
  3. Launch Syrinscape
  4. Wait wait wait wait
  5. Confirm its playing in Discord via cable
  6. Change Windows Output back
  7. Syrinscape starts playing through my headphones instead of Discord
    In the image, you can see the input bar moving in Discord which represents the sound functioning. In the second, you see it is not.

So sorry for the delay!!! I just saw this. Ben and team are testing the ability to change the output device so there have been a lot of reports that the old way of “tricking” syrinscape like the method above isn’t working. There is a workaround. If you use audiorouter (free program) you can force syrinscape to play back where you want it. You can see more info on it in this video I prepared:

Go to 34:51 in the video where I talk about audiorouter. Keep me posted.

2 Likes

Thanks for this @lordgwydione! Yes, work on being able to change the output device is looking really promising. We are looking forward to being able to post up more information on that soon.

In the meantime, this is a great workaround

2 Likes

Took a few mins to configure things just right but definitely worked!

3 Likes

Hello there,

I just started with Syrinscape…great!

But…how can I use it with Discord…running Syrinscape and Discord on a iMac und BigSur?
Voicemeeter doesn’t support MacOS…