Skype & Syrinscape broken?

I have been a supersyrin sub for a long time, but I cannot seem to get skype to work with syrinscape anymore, so unless this support forum can work some magic I might have to give up on immersive soundscapes altogether.

Here’s the setup:
Hardware: Headset and mic combo

System: Windows 10 Pro v1903 build 18362.239
Apps: Skype 8.48.0.5.1, Syrinscape 1.4.3, Voicemeeter Banana 1.0.5.1 and VAC Virtual Audio cable software.

Windows Settings:
PLAYBACK: Voicemeeter Input (Default Communication Device)
RECORDING: Voicemeeter Output (Default Communication Device)

Voicemeeter Settings:
Hardware Input 1: Microphone (2- High Definition Audio) B SELECTED
Hardware Input 2: Voicemeeter Output (VB-Audio Virtual Audio Cable) A SELECTED (I have also tried “Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable”)
Virtual Input: A AND B SELECTED
Hardware Out: Speakers (2- High Definition Audio)

Skype Settings:
Mic: Voicemeeter Output (VB-Audio Virtual Audio Cable)
Speakers: Voicemeeter Input (VB-Audio Virtual Audio Cable) (I have also tried “Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable” and the Voicemeeter Aux Input)

The guys cant hear me unless I set my mic settings in skype to the actual microphone, and they cant hear the syrinscape sounds no matter what I do.

I feel like I have tried every possible combo of settings at this point… and I am at a loss. I have uninstalled & Reinstalled every program at least once. Please help, as this was working before for years and now it just doesnt. I dont want to cancel my sub, but if I cant get it to work for my game its of no value anymore.

P.S. I am not interested in the client/slave version. I want everyone to hear the exact same sounds that I pump to them through Skype.

1 Like

Also, this thread:

https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/syrinscape-protip-07-using-syrinscape-with-skype-for-online-play/426

Wasn’t any help, though it is what I followed a long time ago to get up and running. Just doesn’t work now.

It’s not what you want to hear, but I moved off Skype a long time ago because I found it “played up” a lot, and that I got better functionality (and two channels - one for sounds and one for voice) out of Teamspeak.

Perhaps this is your actual solution: stop using Skype and use Teamspeak instead (or Discord)? :man_shrugging:

Cheers

May I ask why it is that you don’t want to use the Online player? We always strive to make it better for everyone, so if you tell us the reason why, we possibly could enhance your experience or convince you of its benefits.

When you use the Online player, everybody hears exactly the same sound, that’s the whole point of the Online player. Even better - the Online player streams directly from the Syrinscape servers and has full quality audio, whereas using voicechat software could harm the quality.

You are correct- not the solution I need because video is more important to us than soundscapes. If we would have to cut one, it wouldn’t be the video.

Or… are you using a video app also and just muting its audio? Seems like the two would likely be out of sync. But I am thinking your groups might not care about or want the video capes- my group loves it.

The online player plays the exact same one-shot sounds, but in a random background soundset the whole group doesn’t hear the same random noises. For instance, in a troll fight, the random vocalizations of the troll arent the same for everyone, leading to situations where some players are laughing about it when others arent in on the joke. Lots of other implications, but thats a good example.

Other reasons for using skype are some of my folks will occasionally use their phone for audio and video (with the skype app) to reduce the strain on their computer or to shore up for temporarily non-functioning computer equipment like mics, cameras, or headphone jacks/speakers. The bogus headphone/jack thing happens way more than I would have thought.

Bottom line is: does this program no longer work with skype? If it does, is there no one that can help me figure out how?

I can’t jump in voice but I can try to help for a bit in discord text chat it you want. If you can send me screenshots of everything you have posted above so I can literally see the settings, I might be able to help.

Discord invite here. Just pm me when you can if you are interested:

1 Like

One other quick thought. You might try to first updated VMB to the latest version. Right now it is on 2.0.4.8. Not sure that is an issue, but it looks like you are running a pretty old version. We can try to troubleshoot without you updating as it sounds like you have uninstalled and reinstalled a lot already. Happy to try and help.

1 Like

Awesome- I will hit you up and get some screenshots. Also… I downloaded that version straight from the VMB website this month! So that’s odd! I will definitely try to get the newer version.

I’ve been sent away on a two week mission- so I’ll tackle it when I return home. Please don’t close the topic before I return :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you get back, post here or PM me if my discord link doesn’t work. I think they have expiration dates so if it doesn’t work by the time you attempt to join my discord channel just let me know and I will send a new one. Happy travels!

So, oddly I downloaded the latest VMB off the site (listed as 2.0.4.8) but when it installs and I check the version… it still says 1.0.6.8

VMB is ridiculous to uninstall (Why doesn’t it have an uninstaller!? Why cant windows add/remove programs even see it!? Questions for another day perhaps…) but even after completely eradicating it off my computer and reinstalling fresh off the site, it says it’s 1.0.6.8 in the “about” menu of the app. Maybe they forgot to update the version in the “about” menu?

So sorry to hear that! Definitely sounds like a bad install. Whenever you install VMB it should ask you to reboot before finalizing and I know there are known issues if you forget that step. Please see this thread and let me know if it gets you sorted once you try again. Hopefully this will work!

https://forum.vb-audio.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=381

That’s the exact post I followed to get it to uninstall.

Totally followed that. Still shows the old version number in the “about” menu. Rebooted every step of the way (super annoying), but nevertheless- the install is the same.

Something unacceptable to me: one of the things they recommend to uninstall their program is a Windows system rollback!

But I installed it like, 6 months ago… and I don’t have system rollbacks set up even (not like I would ever roll back 6 months!)

Crap. Not sure what to recommend at this point. They do have a forum that I’ve used on occasion if you want to reach directly to Vincent, the author. I wish I had other ideas! I’ll keep searching to see if I find something.