Questions regarding the Soundset Creator

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, I just want to thank you guys for putting this creator together. It is absolutely fantastic (I played around with it all night, importing different samples after watching your tutorial videos).

I uploaded the soundset: Dungeon Exploration (Wet Cave), and have a few questions…

1. The volume is super low when I play my uploaded / created soundset in the Fantasy Player. I know you said the best format was .wav files, but I’ve been using .ogg. I set the volume to ~60% for some of the different sounds and 100% for others. During playback, they are super quiet (max volume for my speakers and max volume in the Fantasy Player). While they sound great in the creator when previewed, I’m wondering if the should be boosted past 100%? If so, is this due to the file format, or is the volume in the creator not representative of the volume in the player? I would use .wav files, but they are huge in comparison. Does it matter if I use .ogg?

2. The app folder for the creator has been installed on a standard hard drive I use for media (3tb), but the file conversion when I upload a sample (or downloading premade ones) is putting them into the appdata/local folder. This folder is on my SSD, and is now starting to take up a lot of space. Can I move this folder, or get Soundset Creator to look somewhere else?

3. How large of a soundscape can I upload. The first one is just under 100mb. Should I be making these much smaller?

Hmmm, there are several reasons what could have happened.

1. How do you review the sample? I guess you upload it and press the play button in the samples section? If you do it like this, you only listen to the imported sample itself, not to the environment (aka elements) you put it in. The thing is - if you put a sample into an element, the volume is modified by different factors. First thing is the volume slider in the element. And then there is the distance with which you let the sample play. Distance slider has a HUGE impact on the volume. You might want to check those things first.

2. Have you checked the ProTips section of the forum? Lots of useful stuff in there and i think these are the droids you’re looking for:

Apart from that there are a lot of issues addressed there, so it’s definitely worth a look.

1. 100mb is quite huge. I don’t have the exact number right now, but you definitely shouldn’t go over 100. Maybe @Steve or @Benjamin have a more exact answer. You should keep in mind, that you want to up- and download it again. That’s no problem for people with fast internet connection, but that may be not the case for everybody. Especially if you’re doing stuff for the community (Community Content) you should think about file sizes.

:smiley: :cookie: