Online player crashing - Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution

Hi there. I could use some help if anyone has time. I am getting crashes at startup for the online player with the following error after building a new pc. I run audio for a friend’s game tomorrow night so I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I’ve tried running as admin and the suggestion on this post, not sure what else to check.

Capture

Thanks!

Yeah. Changing monitor Setup CAN cause a crash for Syrinscape… but you can just restart, correct?

Moral of the story = don’t run Syrinscape until you’ve got your monitor setup sorted.

Works?

I get that message when I open the program, and after I hit ok it closes the program so it’s not really usable at this point. I have three monitors, but it continues to happen if I disable two of them.

I also just tried manually setting the resolution to 800x500 in the registry editor. Same result with different numbers in the error.

Some other things I tried this afternoon: Changed the resolution numbers to match my monitor resolution in the registry editor, toggled the full screen mode in registry editor, disabled fullscreen optimizations on the compatibility tab, all compatibility options. Uninstalled, deleted %appdata% files, reinstalled. I also reinstalled my graphics drivers.

All good information, thanks. @sonofconan, do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

@swive_penguin I haven’t heard of this one before. If you’re comfortable making changes to the registry, I’d try searching for and removing any references to “Syrinscape”. For example:

• Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\syrinscape-online
  • Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Syrinscape
  • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\syrinscape-online
  • Computer\HKEY_USERS\*\Software\Syrinscape

You could also try creating a new Windows user account, login as the new user and launch the app.

In a pinch you could also run the online player app on a mobile device, but still control it from your computer.

Our next release should fix these full screen issues.

1 Like

Thank you @sonofconan! Deleting those references didn’t work however creating a new user did. That’s interesting, I wonder what the difference is? I missed tonight’s game but I can at least manage tomorrow’s game so thank you very much for taking the time.

1 Like

@swive_penguin does the account that doesn’t work have any accented characters in the username, and the new account does not?