Linux URI handling

@Jiminimonka Nothing yet to report, sorry.

I so want to throw money at you guys but until this works in Linux… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This absolutely breaks my heart. I set everything up on a windows computer and actually run the games from a laptop with linux. I originally had everything setup with syrinscape online… it was annoying enough that on linux it still opens extra tabs that have to be closed but it functioned… until I lost internet.

Decided I’d never do that again since it killed the mood so I spent about 2 weeks converting everything over to run off of the offline fantasy player. Sync’d everything and… nothing because now I find out that there’s no linux support for the URIs yet.

Very frustrating. Not really sure why I’m subscribing at this point.

1 Like

Sorry about that @styles2304

It would be sad to see you go. :cry:

Any updates yet or is this the lowest priority thing on your schedule?

Any update? I found a third-party bridge app that theoretically would work around this, but it’s notarized and thus cannot be run on secure Macs.

Did you bundle the URI handler?

still no update? guess you are making enough money from the windows brigade and dont care about other platforms even though Unity is cross platform…

Hi @Jiminimonka

It’s certainly NOT a matter of we are right with the amount of money we are earning and don’t need your support too.

As might not surprise you, it is more a matter of: we have a finite amount of dev money and dev person hours, and a big pile of a) things we need to get done right now to keep things going smoothly b) other things that we need to fix up as soon as possible c) shiny things that people would love us to do.

We have not forgotten the item highlighted in this topic, there is a formal dev ticket for this in a prioritised list, but indeed, it has NOT reached the top yet.

Sorry this isn’t really what you want to hear, but it is the truth! :-/ :frowning: :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,
Interested to know if there has been anything new on this? Or is it still on backlog?

Thanks!

Unfortunately we are still struggling with many other much sought after features :slightly_frowning_face: We are pushing hard though to get on top of some big ones!

The truth is all I want to hear. At least I got a response.

I know its hard work with a small team, I think I was just being grumpy when I made that post.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

What is the syrinscape:// URI scheme used for? Registering a handler is pretty straightforward on Linux; I may be able to throw something together fairly quickly that end users can run themselves.

@joelh

Afaik there is no way to access the program except through their interface without their helper program they haven’t released did Linux.

Ah, so these URLs need to do something beyond launching Syrinscape with a particular set of command-line flags? Seriously, I have no idea what these links are meant to do.

The URLs are used to initiate playback or stop playback of specific sounds with Syrinscape. With URLs you have a couple of different options for how its handled. You can use a browser to open the URL, but doing that means that it will open a new tab everytime you launch a sound. The other option is to have a URI handler for your OS that points to the Syrinscape Player. When you have this in place, any time a syrinscape URL gets triggered or opened, it gets passed to the syrinscape player for handling and not to the browser.

The primary issue this thread is about is that there is no URI handler for MacOS or Linux at this time. So trying to use the URLs from with VTTs like Fantasy Grounds is more limited. For MacOS, one community member developed a small helper utility app that registers a URI handler and passes it off but this only works for Syrinscape Online, and not for the Fantasy or Sci-fi players.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining!

Here’s a program to do that. It currently only works with the Sci-Fi player (easy to change; see the top of the script), and I haven’t had too long to test it, but maybe it could give you something to work with until the Syrinscape guys can make an official one.

Debian / Ubuntu / etc: https://github.com/piquan/syrinscape-url-handler/releases/download/v0.0.1-debian/syrinscape-uri-handler_0.0.1-1_all.deb
Other Linuxes: https://github.com/piquan/syrinscape-url-handler/releases/download/v0.0.1/syrinscape-uri-handler-0.0.1.tar.gz

To be clear: this is not an official Syrinscape program. It’s just something I wrote to work with their program. If anything goes wrong, blame me, not them.

3 Likes

Oh, I misread the scheme: it should by syrinscape-particular-app://, not just syrinscape://. So please edit the .desktop file accordingly. If there’s interest, I’ll release a fixed version.

1 Like

I’ve fixed the bugs I mentioned last night. This now works with both Syrinscape Fantasy and Sci-Fi, and correctly registers the proper URLs.

Debian / Ubuntu / etc: https://github.com/piquan/syrinscape-url-handler/releases/download/v0.0.2-debian/syrinscape-uri-handler_0.0.2-1_all.deb
Other Linuxes: https://github.com/piquan/syrinscape-url-handler/releases/download/v0.0.2/syrinscape-uri-handler-0.0.2.tar.gz

This is not an official Syrinscape program. It’s just something I wrote to work with their program. If anything goes wrong, blame me, not them.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Looks like Syrinscape could add this to the Linux release in a few minutes.