DOE sounds extenshion

Sure. It’s a (minimal) hack, there’s nothing weird/special in there I hope.

For a “distributable hack” on this board I could maybe offer a .reg file (easier to verify, doesn’t require to run the binary as admin) and the thing itself.

But obviously it would be best if Syrinscape would provide this. Maybe syrinscape-player: for one (exists) and syrinscape-online: for the other?

2 Likes

Wanna post some good info here that I can show to the dev team?

Also: yay!

1 Like

I think all the info is there already. The dev team seemingly (see Dulux_Oz posts above) already knows how to use/implement a protocol handler, because it is used in the old (“non cloud”) player.

We need the same. This thread has the discussion of everything involved, the Github link above has the full source for the C# solution we’re using. Even if your dev team uses a different stack (?), the code is very short and basically just

• register protocol handler (Windows registry stuff)
  • when called with a protocol “url”, call Syrinscape Online player api via web request and discard the response

That’s all it seems to take

2 Likes

Love it! :cake::pancakes::beers:

1 Like

Just for the record:

I’m NOT part of the Syrinscape Dev Team.

I’m also NOT part of the Fantasy Grounds Dev Team.

I am, however, one of the Fantasy Grounds Community Devs (& a professional ICT Consultant, for what ts worth) :smile:

1 Like

Blame it on English not being my first language - but what I wanted to say above is: The Syrinscape Devs should already know how to implement a protocol handler like the one I did, because you mentioned that their other player - (never installed it, dk anything about it, I’m clueless) the older one, not the Syrinscape Online one - uses exactly this mechanism to allow integration. Into DOE amongst other things.

Basically I just quoted you for the information you gave above:

hence Syrinscape Devs do know how to do that. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

So is this just a little applet to catch the URL call to the syrinscape server and:

1. instead of opening the default browser
  2. do the page request to our server
  3. throw away the returned info

Correct?

Can we filter out requests that we DO want to go through to the browser, like clicking on the username at the top of the Online Player, or clicking the PIN connect thingy?

1 Like

Kinda. Not quite. This is an application¹ that registers a new protocol (in my code that’s syrinscape: but that’s my own choice).

It doesn’t change anything about the behavior of normal links at all. If you want to go to a user’s profile or anything, you’re talking to https://www.syrinscape.com/online/ and that happens in the browser.

But the DOE links are changed by the GM to point at, say syrinscape:elements/20/play/ for a fireball effect. DOE tells the OS to ‘open’ that, the OS calls the application, the application builds a request to the Syrinscape API and throws the result away, terminating afterwards (no windows pop up). If you keep https links in FG/DOE nothing changes and you get browser popups.

So if you bundle a small tool like this / register a protocol handler during installation, you’d support DOE (and potentially other stuff that works similarly) without changing your current behavior/player at all, for all I can tell.

①: Nitpicking, but applets remind me of a dead Java thing that’s unrelated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just want to follow up and say I hope this is something which can be integrated into the player installer. It would be HUGE for Fantasy Grounds folks like myself!

1 Like

Yeah. We are looking at this. :slight_smile:

Something you could turn on or off to catch the calls as required.

Do you know if anything changes in regards to getting the online player integrated with Fantasy Grounds Unity? I guess the real question there is did Smiteworks provide you with Alpha access to be able to look at this ahead of the upcoming public release?

No, SW did not give me alpha access (even though I asked), so I’m waiting for beta access.

But I have serious doubts that Syrinscape Online will work with FGU - the issue isn’t with how FG and/or (suppossedly) FGU work, its how Syrinscape Online works, which is different from how Syrinscape Desktop Works.

Still, we’ll see once I can get access to FGU.

I have been in good commications with the guys at Smiteworks. Making sure integration works well for FGU is something important for both teams. Syrinscape Online works well with FG, and there’s no reason that will change. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry @benjamin, but can you explain to me exactly how “Syrinscape Online works well with FG” - because as far as I am aware, it does not work with the DOE:Sound, which is how the majority of people who use FG and Syrinscape (in an automated way) use the two products - FG=>DOE:Sound=>Syrinscape Desktop (not Syrinscape Online).

I thiiiiiink we can look up above on this thread @Dulux_Oz at the comments by @ben?

No?

We just need to impliment a way of catching the calls rather than opening a browser every time AND change over to the new links.

I thought we had this discussion already?!? :smiley:

Yes, we had - but the Thread is on the DOE:Sound Extension, and the question from @mike1 yesterday was if I had gotten the DOE:Sound working with FGU and with Syrinscape Online - the answer to which, in short, was no, and I added I had doubts because of the issues getting Syrinscape Online working with FG because of the differences oin how Syrinscape Online works compared to how Syrinscape Desktop works.

I also said we’ll have to wait and see.

Your comment - “Syrinscape Online works well with FG” - is, as I pointed out, (to the best of my knowledge) not correct: Syrinscape Online does not work well with FG (and the DOE:Sound) - it doesn’t work at all - this is (as unpalatable as it is for me and, I’m sure, you) an objective fact - unless something has changed in the last couple of months that I’m not aware of - and if something has changed then I’ll be happy to confirm it does now work and promote it heavily both here and on the FG Forums.

Not, if you have proof that Syrinscape works with FG Unity (know as FGU) because you’ve been able to test it out with the Alpha release of FGU, than that’s absolutely fantastic - and I’ll confirm as such as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of FGU myself, but even if that is th case, accidetly misleading your customers in saying that “Syrinscape Online works well with FG” in a DOE:Sound thread is something I have to correct and/or clarify.

I’m neither an expert on DOE:Sound nor Syrinscape, but I firmly believe that we’re using both and it works for us…
… but we’re also using the small tool I described above to work around the ‘open a browser’ limitation.

So, while it does seem to work for us (potentially we’re not using the full feature set of either DOE:Sound nor Syrinscape, I wouldn’t know) it only works because we fixed it locally. Syrinscape should make this possible out of the box though?

1 Like

You had to change all the links you actually want to use, correct? @ben

i reckon it’d be great to make the TOKEN interchangeable or settable somehow, so that they don’t have to be a part of the copied in link (since the token is unique to the person running the game).

A little bit of work to do on both sides, but do-able.

I suppose we should all wait for FGU to come out and then work with that OR even better work directly with Smite Works to integrate properly straight out of the box (talking has been happening).

I am chiming in here to confirm that the “proxy” app created by @ben is pretty much exactly what we built and install alongside the genre players. Our version handles requests for the OS to open syrinscape-player://... URLs by sending an http://localhost:<PORT>/... request to a local web server running in the genre player app.

And this proxy app is pretty much exactly what is needed (thanks @ben!) to work around FG / DOE:Sound limitations (it sounds like it can only request the OS to open a URL, it cannot send an HTTP request itself) to work with Syrinscape Online.

The Syrinscape Online (beta) API is accessible over HTTP to any person or app with an internet connection, and works in a way that is typical for online APIs. Clients send an HTTP request to trigger an action and get an HTTP response indicating success.

The use of this proxy app is not at all required for the normal operation of Syrinscape Online, or even for a typical 3rd party integration. Even players using integrations (like FG / DOE:Sound) that do require it, might not run the Online Player on the same machine as the integration.

And so, I do not believe that the proxy app should be installed or run with the Online Player. I think the right place to supply (via download link) and document the use of the proxy app is alongside any 3rd party integrations that need it.

But we can build and code sign such an app, and @Dulux_Oz can direct link to it from our servers, if it helps.

I thought @Dulux_Oz was also in agreement on this point, having previously indicated to us that the proxy app seemed like a workable solution, and that he could put it alongside DOE:Sound and update the instructions for those who want to use it.

If that is no longer the case, we can make a sticky post here or an FAQ on syrinscape.com about how to use the proxy app to fix the DOE:Sound integration with Syrinscape Online.

It would be great to also make a small change to the DOE:Sound extension to work with the proxy app and the remote control links provided by the master interface as-is, so users do not need to manually transform the https://syrinscape.com/... URLs into syrinscape-online://... URLs. It could leave syrinscape-player://... URLs untouched and so it would work with the genre players and the Online Player.

This is not exactly true, even if all users are on Windows. @benjamin has already described a few points of difference. I will point out the main ones I see:

• Only the GM needs to have access to the soundset content.
  • Players do not need to pre-install all the soundset content the GM might want to use.
  • Better sync. The genre players almost always apply some randomisation to the element parameters (e.g. sample playlist, sample position and movement in 3D space, delay between samples, etc.) Individually controlled genre players will each generate their own settings for these in response to every play command. Syrinscape Online ensures that all players generate the same settings. For example, with individually controlled genre players, players may get a different music playlist, or a timely dragon roar or other effect that only one player hears, etc.
  • The GM can adjust global and individual element volume for all players. (Players can still set their global volume locally.)
  • The GM can use the master interface to search for and jump into any soundset and play any element, without having previously added their remote control links into FG.
  • Works on macOS.

So even if it does require installing one more app, some users may prefer to do that.

I am not sure I understand this comment. You do need to install the Online Player. You do not need to install soundsets. And you do not have to install it on the machine running FG / DOE:Sound or the Syrinscape Online master interface.

Yes, you might need to install one extra app if you have nothing already installed, but if you want to install Fantasy and Sci-Fi genre players, or have already installed the Online Player (somewhere), that is also no longer true.

And if it is only the GM who needs to trigger Syrinscape via FG / DOE:Sound, only the GM needs to install the proxy app.

Yes (edit: If I remember correctly our GM was able to do this with a simple search and replace in some XML file even? As in, I think this was a quick thing and not a one by one manual process)

That is what I do. The application has a configuration file containing the token. FG/DOE:Sound are configured to use something like “syrinscape:foo/bar” which will be turned into a request to (not the actual thing of course, just the idea) https://api.syrinscape.com/foo/bar?TOKEN=secretTokenHere"