DOE sounds extenshion

I know you are working on making the master/minion compatible with DOE sounds extension for fantasy grounds. I was just wondering if there is any more info on how that is going or an eta of it being available. Thanks

I have the same concern. Unfortunately I can no longer justify the $20 price tag without it working with DOE. I will be on the lookout for this improvement and will reconsider when this works. Thanks.

Our work is done for this now, and I am looping in our FantasyGrounds+Syrinscape genius to plug all the bits together,

SO excited! :slight_smile::smiley: :fireworks:

You had to roll it out as soon as I went to work didn’t you? :yum:
Can’t wait to test it out tomorrow.

:rofl::space_invader::cookie:

Wor hor hor!

It’s pretty cool.

I can trigger OneShots from anywhere in the world. I don’t need to even be logged in as anyone!

@Dulux_Oz
@Gwydion

BOOM! It’s working!!!

You can now:

Start and stop MOODS
Start and stop ELEMENTS
Calls are the same for every user for every element except:

Every call has to be accompanied by and authentication token so the server knows to whom the play/stop call should be delivered.
At the moment you can find out the code attached to your code by copying any of the API links in the MasterUI
BUT we plan to impliment having this code shown on the /cp/ page
AND people need to be able to get a new code if they need to.
You can get the calls by toggling the “API Links” button at the top left of the Master UI.

We have also implemented our server delivering all the calls via an actual API… and we are testing that with a small closed group at the moment. (for smooth and easy Fantasy Grounds implementation).

It’s gonna be AMAZING!!!

1 Like

Ok I am testing this out and its acting weird. I am on a mac, but I copy the API link from one of my moods and paste it into DOE’s sounds. I hit the green button to create the sounds link. But when I click on the sound link it takes about 20 seconds to do anything, and all it does is bring up this and doesn’t actually start the mood

Note in the URL you’ve linked to that you’ve copied a STOP commant, not a PLAY command. :smiley:

Ah, I didn’t realize there was a different link for the play and stop. They were so close together that I thought it was a toggle? Will that website come up every time though? That’s really annoying as it I play in a window and it makes chrome primary as it loads the site.

I can confirm that everything I try to do opens that framework site before playing or stopping the sounds? Is it meant to do this? Currently it is easier for me to tab over and play them manually and not use the the API integration.

I’m just getting around to picking some sounds/music for my session tomorrow night (yes, leaving it to the last minute, I’m horrible I know) and I see this behaviour also. I think this is expected behaviour since the URL is an actual web link with the online player (complete with https) whereas before it was not a web address. So DOE Sound extension is just opening the link that we’ve passed to it. I’m sure Dulux can modify the extension to not do this but I have no idea if that would break other functionality or what. For tomorrow’s game I’ll just close each window when they open up.

Yeah, it’s silly to open a window every time…

I imagine that’s something WE should be able to fix too. :smiley: :hammer: :fishing_pole_and_fish:

Awesome! Just saw this. Been extremely buys with work. This sounds very promising!

2 Likes

Yes. So, our server will always return a webpage to whatever requests it. The page, acknowledges the call as successful and gives a tiny bit of other info.

So we are needing a modification to the thing doing the calling, to receive the webpage rather than using the default browser on windows to open the url.

That’ll be up to @Dulux_Oz to make the change in DOE… so you’ll need to advocate for him to spend the time to do that?

Sorry, can’t be done - not with the level of access we (the FG Community Devs) have to the underlying FG-Engine.

SmiteWorks may be able to change how the FG-Engine works, but the way the DOE:Sound works now is that it relies upon both a URL-call provided by the FG-Engine and the corresponding OS-functionality to take the details of that call and use them with the registered default app - in the case of the desktop Syrinscape App that’s the App, but in the case of a webpage that’s the default browser. That’s why the DOE:Sound only works on Windows-based machines: the “default app” functionality on MACs and Linux is different, and I’ve never been able to work out how its different and therefore how to get that part of the process to work on MACs and Linux.

Basically, if the Desktop Syrinscape App didn’t pre-register itself with the Windows Hive, then the DOE:Sound would not work.

I’m open to suggestions, but remember, we (the FG Community Devs) don’t have access to the workings of the FG-Engine, only what SmiteWorks has provided to us.

1 Like

I don’t suppose there’s a way to run a curl command is there?

Not easliy.

I tried using a curl (and wget) for my DOE:REMU Extension. While I got it to work it also required a batch of batch files, each specifically written at “install time” to make the system work - net result: the Experiement was a failure because it required a level of computer coding/super-power-user knowledge that the average user just doesn’t have, and so, as I said, it worked, but the number of issues, misconfigurations, etc, etc, etc, made it un-viable.

The fundemental problem is that SmiteWorks have locked down the FG-Engine pretty tightly (which is a good thing) so that “advanced” functions like external program calls are effectively blocked. They allow a URL call because they need that for their own system to work, and I discovered that I could use that existing call to get the FG-Engine to ask the OS to do somethings (like load a web page in the default browser, or, because Syrinscape “registers” with the Windows Hive, get the OS to play a Syrinscape Mood), but we can’t pass out any arguments to any such call - its got to be all one string (like a URL). So getting curl to work involved actually calling a batch file to call the curl to run a 2nd batch file - in other words, a “real” hack. :frowning:

Thanks Dulux_Oz, I was grasping at straws.

Dave (BoomerET)

I know the feeling :smile:

Sounds like I need to talk to Smiteworks. Are you able to send me a chunk of text kinda explaining exactly what they would need to do for your kind of thing to work? PRetty much what you typed before but optimised for me to explain to Smiteworks?

THANKS in advance!!! :slight_smile: