Discord Bot for Syrinscape to get Stereo Sound

EDIT - I can change channels in the Dap application while running it so that’s all good.
Hi Amerisun,
I have got to the same stage as Davecan, so your tip about file extensions really helped, thank you.
However, I have now run into another problem, where Discord Audio Pipe won’t let me add it to more than one channel in the server, and I will need it in several. Any suggestions? Or do I need to pick the channel I want to run it in, only one at a time, at each run?
![image|690x159]
(upload://hcLZMItM3K9iksSRoYcPGImzLhI.png)

Many thanks in advance.

Garrick, The only way I was able to do that (just tested it out) is to create a second bot, and configure it exactly like the first one. Then copy the discord audio pipe directory you created in this tutorial and in the second one edit the token and put the second bot’s token in there. Then one bot lives in one channel, while another bot lives in another. They both can feed from the same audio device and both sound the same in each channel.

It would seem that only one bot of the same kind can live in the same server in one channel. So in the user interface you’re showing above, the second device you add has to go to a different server (not the same). I checked Discord’s documentation and it’s a limitation on their side they don’t allow a bot to be in more than one channel on the same server at the same time.

Thanks Amerisun it is working great for me and my players. Great sound and really easy to setup.

1 Like

After a few headaches, I finally got this working on my Mac. Here’s a couple tips for those trying to run from python on a Mac:

1. You MUST have the opus library package installed (e.g. “brew install opus”) to get sound output from the discord bot.
  2. To get the GUI to work, I had to rollback the PyQt5 module to version 5.14.
  3. Run the python script from the terminal window.

Hope this saves at least one person some time and energy.

3 Likes

Quick Question? So this seems to work with the desktop client also…I mean if I start the desktop client up with the Cable Input selected and then move to to head set the sound seems to flow through the bot? I personally like the desktop client better then the web client so hoping this works?

1 Like

Let me know if you get this to work my dude! I reeeeeeeeeeallly don’t like the online player.

Yes, it can work with the offline player too. If you are using virtual audio cables then Windows’ ability to route the sound from the fantasy/sci-fi player to the cable is the way. In fact - this works for every application that produces audio.

4 Likes

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh baby! This thank you brought to you by one super happy nerd! :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to give this a shot in next weeks game. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Any chance you could write an idiots guide on how to get it setup on Mac?
I’ve been going in circles trying to figure everything out but I’m clueless at this stuff. All I’ve managed to do is follow a YouTube vid on making a discord bot on Mac…

Hey RetroPanda, I quickly threw together this pdf guide on installing python and setting it up to run the discord-audio-pipe app. I left out how to setup the virtual cable and how to setup the discord bot as it is already explained in the video. If you run into any issues while going through it let me know in case I missed something.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m failing right at the start :see_no_evil: Step 2 brings up -bash: brew: command not found and further down #!/bin/bash: no such file or directory.

Hmmm, I think that url may be broken now, try copying/pasting this command:

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"

Let me know if that doesn’t work or you run into a new problem

Awesome, seem to be making progress but now I’m stuck at part 6, I get -bash:thenn: command not found.

Part of the problem could be that copy/pasting from the PDF isn’t proving efficient as it seems to put spaces in places that shouldn’t have spaces, but I’m not sure where spaces should be. Do you have the guide in a word doc by any chance?

Yeah, looks like a copy/paste problem. Here’s a Word doc version:

1 Like

Discord gained popularity among other users as a free Zoom alternative. Nevertheless, it was still complicated to navigate the Discord screen share with no audio issues. but here to get Stereo Sound. after fix this issue you will get better sound.

Took me a while to getting back to it, but finally got it set up and working. Massive thanks for the guide :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I can get this to work on my main GMing PC, this will be amazing. I guess I don’t then need to get the subscription to Syrinscape. I bought the Two Headed Serpent chapters on a lark last night so test them out to see if I liked this versus the Mac based soundboard with a second discord account option I got to work.

90% of my games are notmally one shots, so I don’t like asked players to do more than show up on time and participate for four hours. This may be a way to up my game even further. Thank you.

1 Like

@mdrueen If you want to do this, might be more advantageous to use my newer tutorial that uses Syrinscape Fantasy Player (local player to the PC) instead of the web player. This makes it much easier to install / configure / get running as well. Lots of people prefer this and it’s superior in the form of it playing faster / locally instead of from the cloud.

1 Like

Is this the version you put up on youtube two weeks ago? I have it book marked

Yup that’s the one. :slight_smile: And you don’t need a subscription, any purchased content or free you can play through the player.

2 Likes