Add OneShots to Global OneShots

Darn your +1d20 Spear and Magic Helmet beats my +4 hammer of Goblin Whopping!

On a more serious point though that’s awesome to hear! really glad to hear it all went well and the players (& DM) enjoyed all the noise :smile:

We actually have lots of ideas in the works at the minute, with the new Maste/minion system in development our poor dev team are working harder than santa’s elves to bring in lots of new stuff. just a few of the ones we are working on are the ability for Syrinscape to used for online games as well as traditional round the table games, no longer needing to download content, which will prevent long download times and will allow you to quickly search and listen to content as well as avoiding taking up excessive space on your devices (or in fact no space at all). The ability to better customize soundset and the ability to play Syrinscape in the background… phew!

And all of those are currently in Dev :smile:

or as Ben said…

All this and much MORE good organisational stuff will be emerging this year!

Like a beast out of the sucking MUD! :hankey: :smile:

1 Like

Count this as my vote for this option. Being able to populate the global oneshots myself would be invaluable. Thanks!

1 Like

+1 From this ole DM too

1 Like

Requests heard and logged (in my brain). :smile:

Video game developer here. I might humbly suggest Jira or Trello for task logging instead of your brain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Curious though, what was the original intent/vision behind the oneshots? They seem to be an arbitrary selection of sounds that may or may not be relevant to a particular GM, depending on the game they are running.

Aren’t globe oneshots supposed to be an “at your fingertips” tool that allows your favorite sounds to follow you regardless of the soundset you are currently on? Doesn’t the fact they are not customize-able completely negate this core function?

Genuinely curious what the original design was.

Cheers,
Nalgrazzim

lols @nalgrazzim

We use assembla to log project actions needed AND priorities.

I guess… what I meant… was “you request in noted, and a small bump in the urgency has been noted in my general feeling of what the community would REALLY like NOW!”

Note: as a work around right now… (if you are on PC), use the 3rd party integration tools to make yourself a window of just about anything you’d like to have close to hand to click.

On other devices: use the Syrinscape SoundSet Creator for that level of customization.

Future: Syrinscape Online will have all the fold out tools that will make this sort of stuff work much nicer-er.

Sense makes?

@benjamin

I just want to bump the priority of this.

After using the player for almost a year now, I am constantly reminded of this shortcoming. Syrinscape is a good program, but this one issue makes it a constant annoyance to use, forcing the GM to flip back and forth between pages because the global oneshots that are (arbitrarily) decided for them on every page are usually completely useless for what they are attempting to achieve. Most times, they may as well just not exist.

Considering how a soundboard system like this is used in practice during a game night, the GM wants to be able to create an atmosphere for an adventure they have planned, and to simulate - IN REAL TIME - events that are likely to happen during that adventure. This necessitates having a custom selection of audio elements that are always at their fingertips for simulating events that they believe are likely to occur (ie: sword clashes, gunfire sounds, robot voices, starship engines, fireballs, etc).

Being able to customize the global one-shot panel should have been, from day one, treated as an integral part of the core system and should never have been relegated to an “optional” or “secondary” system. I am not sure why this decision was originally made, but now having used Syrinscape for so long, I think it speaks to a critical misunderstanding of how your product is used by your customers.

But that’s fine, it happens. As game developers we can’t see everything - that’s what QA and playtesting are for. But once you identify an issue like this, that thing needs to be treated as an A1 priority, and you throw all the engineering resources you have at solving it until it is addressed. Anywhere else, this would be considered a critical missing feature.

So this is me, as a GM of 20+ years and a developer at a AAA video game studio, respectfully telling you:

Fix this. It is well past time.

If you need design, analytical, or technical assistance, feel free to PM me. I’ll offer whatever help I can.

1 Like

Bumpitty Bump! :smiley:

@benjamin or @Steve. Would be awesome to get an update on this topic.

1 Like

Hi @nalgrazzim

So… here’s the current dev plan (given a non-infinite amount of time and money).

1. Complete work on Syrinscape Online (make it stable)
  2. Turn on the Creator functions in Syrinscape Online
    NOTE: This is when you’ll be able to do the thing you are asking for (note details below)
  3. Fix things that pop up along the way (eg we’ve just found out the latest iOS build doesn’t work properly on the iPhone MAX)
  4. Cope with the FAST growth we are still experiencing. (also Dnd+TwitchCon)
  5. Then we’ll take another round at the Standalone Players. Here we already have planned: making the search function as good as it is in Syrinscape Online; a few other things.

Sooo… with step 2) You’ll be able to build a special SoundSet full of Global OneShots that you can then Install in the Stand Alone Player, giving you the customization you are wanting.

I hope that makes sense?

Hey @benjamin

I think so. When we talk about “global oneshots” we mean the oneshots that “stick” with the player and follow you around, correct? With the Syrinscape online import you are talking about, does that replace the current oneshot panel with the a custom one?

I was curious how the original selection of global oneshots was decided. The medieval one seems to be full of modern sounds including a taser and a chainsaw which makes… very little sense, given the context. The sci-fi one seems somewhat arbitrary as well, but at least it contains 100% scifi sounds.

Also, this may be a different topic, but it is definitely related to the functionality of oneshots. I know alot of people would really appreciate a separate volume slider for oneshots in general, as they are currently often drowned out by the default (very high) volume of the ambients, and must be heavily fiddled with each time before they are audible over the background. I know this has been promised in the past a looong time ago but never got implemented. This is kind of the other half of the “making global oneshots usable” track. Any plans on this? It seems a modest change that would make a huge impact.

Cheers. And thanks for the response!

They have set up a volume slider for one shots in the standalone player. I believe they have that on the list of things to add as they revamp the online player in the near future.

OneShots are attached to SoundSets. So to get rid of the modern weapons in the Global OneShots, simply uninstall the “Modern Weapons” SoundSet, which is specifically made to make those show there. :smiley:

All the current builds of Syrinscape have a separate volume control for the OneShots. :slight_smile: Time for an update?

Hey @nalgrazzim

Why don’t you:

1. grab the Syrinscape SoundSet Creator.
  2. make a SoundSet with a whole lot of OneShots you’d really like to have as Globals
  3. Upload that SoundSet
  4. i will jump on the server and make them Global (which is a single click missing from the current Creator build).
  5. Also, make yourself a version of Bugbear battle with all the Global OneShots deleted and upload that too.

Then you’ll be able to have showing what you want to have showing.

Works? :smiley:

Heh, perhaps it IS time for an update. Apparently my client isn’t updating automatically when restarted. I’ll manually download and install the update.

Also thanks alot for the offer to help, I think your suggestion would work perfectly. :slight_smile:

However… my focus is almost entirely with the scifi player - I only use the fantasy player for additional environmental effects and the occasional weird alien creature sound (and, oddly enough, whenever I need a taser or a chainsaw…)

Should I still use “Bugbear Battle?” Or one of the basic scifi ones?

Sorry yes. If you are running the Sci-Fi Player you won’t need to edit Bugbear Battle.

So… this:

1. Each Global OneShot is attached to a certain SoundSet. So installing THAT SoundSet will make those Global OneShots appear. Soooo… if you didn’t want the standard Global OneShots that show when you install Bugbear Battle, then you could make an edited version of Bugbear Battle (“bugbear battle mine”) that has those OneShots deleted. Then when you have THAT installed then your Global OneShots will be empty.

2. THEN make a SoundSet that has the OneShots you DO want in it and upload that. I’ll set them to Global (which, yes, the Creator SHOULD be able to do, but just happens to NOTE)… then you should be right.

3. SO instead, do all this, but within the Sci-Fii Player

4. Useful info here:
    In the Fantasy Player:
    The swords and arrows, spells and more are in “Bugbear Battle”
    The cheesy musical stings are in “Stony Beach”
    The Wilhelm Scream is in “Tavern Brawl”
    The Modern guns and explosins are in “Modern Weapons”

In the Sci-Fi Player:
The Flamethrower is in “Insectoid Hive”
The “Small Arms” & “Automatic” weapons fire are in “Giant Sandworm”
The Airlocks are in “Alien from Alien”
The Wilhelm Scream is in “Alien Cantina”

I realize this is an older topic, but I am very interested in updating my “Global OneShot List” as well! I think I saw something somewhere that we could request sounds we would like in our Global Set. I have a few ideas! Also, I do have access to the content creator and would be willing to compile a set, if that would help!

You can do this yourself now with the Creator :slight_smile:

Awesome! Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out now!

1 Like