I originally placed this in an existing users post, but I think it should be it’s own, so here we go!
Since we are on the topic of volume, I just wanted to share with the dev team that one of the struggles I have with Syrinscape, are the many volume controls scattered all over the place. It really is daunting.
My work flow:
So I will look through my local file explorer and play sounds locally, to figure out which ones I want to upload. I play them locally, and they are loud, but then I upload them into Syrinscape, and I can barely hear them, so I scramble around to all these different volume control settings scattered throughout the creation interface, and make sure they all the way up, and then go to the master volume and make sure that is up, and then the player volume. I do finally get it really close if not the same volume as if it was local, but there has to be a better way. Oh, and another thing that I noticed, is browsing through and listening to the online library samples (samples and elements), and playing them individually - many time I can’t even hear the sounds, and there is no volume control for those. Do this test if you don’t believe me - load up a soundset and play a mood, now go to library, find an element, and play through some of them while the mood is playing. Same thing happens when playing sounds in the element playlist - even though those are full volume, I play some individually to figure out which I want to keep or discard, and I play them, and barely hear them.
A couple ideas that come to my head:
- I think all sounds uploaded should be automatically normalized if they aren’t already, and if audiophiles don’t agree, then a checkbox to normalize on upload as an option.
- I think all sounds in the online library (samples and elements) should be a max volume. We are screening these, looking for the right sound for our soundsets, so we need to hear them. So many times I just hear nothing when screening these files.
- I think the sounds in the element playlist should be at a max volume. Even though the slider is at max, many times I still cannot hear them. Again, I usually copy existing elements to my own soundset, and then I remove and adjust element playlists while a mood is playing. I just did this very thing with the Guard Cries and Scared GenCon Attendees elements.
- Do we really need all the existing volume controls? We currently have:
- Master Online Volume
- Soundset Initial Volume
- Element Initial Volume
- Individual Element Playlist Volumes (for each sound)
- Mood Element Target Volume.
- Each Individual Element Volume next to the round activation button.
- Variable 3D positioning Volume (variable - not even sure how we can predict the volumes of this in a Mono or Stereo config). Most times I turn this off since I don’t have Dolby 5.1 Surround sound during session, but it still makes me wonder how the premade soundsets provided by you, that are in 3D, translate to a mono or stereo sound setup. Many included elements are 3D.
- Distance setting under 3D Positioning.
- Online Player Volume.
- And while it isn’t a Syrinscape volume control, we also have to look at and tweak the computer system volume, while troubleshooting stuff.
I think I have them all covered, but whew, what a daunting list of places to look for volume issues. I’m not really sure how I would redesign this, but I figured I’d bring it up first, and then brainstorm about it later. Heh.