Unable to launch Syrinscape on macOS 10.15 - no loading screen, nothing

Hey folks,

I’m trying to use Syrinscape for MacOS, but nothing happens - I don’t even get a loading screen! No screens at all appear.

I get the following on the command line:

➜  ~ /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/MacOS/Syrinscape
Mono path[0] = '/Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Data/Managed/etc'

And… that’s it.

Trying to run the Syrinscape Online Player, I get the following:

➜  ~ /Applications/Syrinscape\ Online\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Syrinscape\ Online\ Player
[1]    37325 killed

Which is even less helpful!

I’m running macOS 10.15, on a 2018-era Mac mini. Syrinscape worked flawlessly prior to today, and I think I tried it successfully after updating to 10.15, but I’m not 100% certain. Any one have any ideas what’s going on?

Hi @ipsi,

That’s annoying. :frowning:

@sonofconan ideas?

@ipsi I need to look into this a bit more, but I’ve just tested the fantasy and online player apps under a fresh Catalina install, and they do seem to work for me, after bypassing some new security prompts.

I had to right click and select open instead of just double clicking, to get Apple to give me the option to open the app even though it is not notarized (a new Catalina requirement for apps signed with an Apple Developer ID).

It also asked for permission to “receive keystrokes from other applications”. I believe this is just down to us still building with an older version of Unity. I think you can safely deny the permission if it bothers you to grant it. If you run into more problems (once the app is running), you might want to try and re-enable that permission in the security and privacy preferences.

I tried both of those steps, and it hasn’t helped :frowning_face:

The app is technically starting, in that I see it showing up in my dock, but I don’t get anything else… If I force the app to be full-screen, then I just get a black screen.

It’s a bit frustrating - I’m not quite sure what else I can do to debug this! Everything else I’m using is working fine, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: I believe I’m using the latest version of the Fantasy Player, but the “About” screen doesn’t specifically tell me…

Some people get a weird failure of the Fantasy Player when they have Video Drivers that need updating… you could try that? But is that even a MAC thing?

@ipsi Could you try creating a new user account (or enabling the guest account) and login as the new user (or guest) to run the app in a “clean” environment (no existing settings and application support files)?

You can delete the new user account (or disable the guest account) afterwards.

If that works, you could also try to uninstall the app via AppCleaner to remove all settings and application support files and then re-download, drag to /Applications and right click to open the first time again.

UPDATE: It’s also worth mentioning that it worked for me in a fresh install in a VMware 11.5 virtual machine (under Mojave), not directly on mac hardware.

Also, you can run the online player on a phone or tablet and control it via the master interface on your Catalina Mac.

I’m kinda lazy, so I didn’t create a new user. That said, I did nuke the following directories (which seem to be the only places config is stored?):

~/Library/Saved Application State/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player.savedState
~/Library/Application Support/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player

Sadly, that didn’t help - it still has issues on startup :cry:

There’s also the following output from the debug log (~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log), which is attached:

Initialize engine version: 5.5.6f1 (3fb31a95adee)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Vendor:   Intel Inc.
Version:  4.1 INTEL-14.0.69
GLES:     0
 GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_container_object_shareable GL_APPLE_fl
ush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_NV_texture_barrier
OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 4.1 graphics device ; Context level  <OpenGL 4.1> ; Context handle 59214336
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.PlaymodeTestsRunner.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.PlaymodeTestsRunner.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/P31RestKit.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/P31RestKit.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/LitJson.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/LitJson.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
- Completed reload, in  0.013 seconds
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
UnloadTime: 0.653823 ms
Platform assembly: /Applications/Syrinscape.app/Contents/Resources/Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Auth::UUID: Got UUID=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Starting regular player

Running standalone player

platform=OSXPlayer

deviceType=Desktop

deviceModel=Macmini8,1

Auth::checkUUID: current=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41

Auth::checkUUID: got old UUID=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41

ChapterManager::CommenceRefresh: loading chapter data from https://www.syrinscape.com/account/chapters/fantasy/1.2.1/?uuid=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41&key=REDACTED&platform=mac

Error sending mixpanel event: Error

Unsupported encoding: 'utf-8,application/xml'

Got a token: REDACTED

JWS::Decode: returning valid=true

CompleteRefresh: Token generated 19.752317 seconds ago, and expires in 2674780.247659 seconds

Update chapter dirs

updateChapterDirs: migrating old chapter dirs...

Removing invalid dirs, because we are logged in!

RestoreCustomSettings: Restoring speakerMode to Stereo

Restoring custom moods for brindol-town

Restoring custom moods for bugbear-battle

Restoring custom moods for creepy-shopkeeper-full

Restoring custom moods for dungeon-depths

Restoring custom moods for friendly-tavern

Restoring custom moods for red-dragon-city-raid

Restoring custom moods for storm

Restoring custom moods for witchwood

Restoring custom moods for custom-moods

Restoring custom moods for custom-moods-ii

Restoring custom moods for custom-moods-iii

Restoring custom moods for abandoned-lunatic-asylum

Restoring custom moods for barghest-battle

Restoring custom moods for battle-of-wolven-pass-full-rev

Restoring custom moods for bell-monk-temple

Restoring custom moods for blacksmith-2-rev4

Restoring custom moods for classic-adventure-outdoor-imported-2018-07-04-023055

Restoring custom moods for untitled-soundset-516

Restoring custom moods for elemental-earth-fantasy

Restoring custom moods for fire-elemental-imported-2015-11-25

Restoring custom moods for elements-fire-imported-2017-03-27-135137

Restoring custom moods for elements-horror-imported-2017-03-27-131556

Restoring custom moods for elements-rain

Restoring custom moods for elements-wind-1-imported-2017-03-27-115534

Restoring custom moods for flooded-cavern

Restoring custom moods for ghoul-battle

Restoring custom moods for gaint-rat-battle-imported-2015-10-06-165401

Restoring custom moods for gnoll-battle-imported-2018-02-07-005308

Restoring custom moods for goblin-battle

Restoring custom moods for demon-haunted-crypt

Restoring custom moods for mountain-pass-imported-2014-12-17-134913

Restoring custom moods for music-moody-imported-2017-01-23-155303

Restoring custom moods for shadows-of-esteren-dearg-draft-3

Restoring custom moods for music-spooky-imported-2017-01-23-160721

Restoring custom moods for music-travel

Restoring custom moods for ogre-battle-imported-2014-11-07-155256

Restoring custom moods for river-journey-imported-2017-08-09-151427

Restoring custom moods for undead-battle-new

Restoring custom moods for wagon-journey-highlands

Restoring custom moods for waterdeep-revi

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-1-rev

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-2-rev

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-3-rev

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-4-rev

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-5-rev

Restoring custom moods for dmm-level-6-rev

URIFileWatcher: watching /Users/ipsi/Library/Application Support/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player/URI

ChapterManager::CommenceRefresh: loading chapter data from https://www.syrinscape.com/account/chapters/fantasy/1.2.1/?uuid=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41&key=REDACTED&platform=mac

Note, particularly, the lines

Which imply there’s an error at https://www.syrinscape.com/account/chapters/fantasy/1.2.1/?uuid=D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41&key=REDACTED&platform=mac

It looks fine to me, but since it’s repeating over and over again, maybe something strange is going on?

@ipsi When I use AppCleaner, it finds these files for removal:

A guest account should achieve the same goal, without having to create a new user, and the guest account should clean itself on logout.

The logs show that it already has credentials and is attempting to download a list of authorised content. I’ve cleared some cache data for your account at our end. That might force the player to attempt a login again.

But I wonder if Ben is onto something with the graphics driver. The app is running and generating logs, but you just can’t see the app window. And when forced to full screen, you get a black screen.

What hardware is this running on? Is there anything installed that might be interfering with the graphics driver?

I think that would be unusual on a Mac, but I don’t see how even an invalid or corrupted XML file (list of authorised content) could prevent the app window from showing at all. Normally you’d see an error and be asked to login.

Or perhaps a new strict Catalina permission/accessibility checkbox somewhere in system preferences. I think there are some permissions that aren’t even displayed in system preferences, and one granted or denied, some can only be removed/forgotten via CLI.

You could also try: tccutil reset All (see https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/344086)

I think a new account or guest account would also have fresh security/privacy permissions set.

Yes. I would definitely look at graphic drivers. Maybe search for “Unity App” or “unity Game” + “[your operating system]”

I had someone recently who updated their graphics driver, but then discovered that their on-mother-board driver was doing their desktop… which was also out of date and that is why Syrinscape was all black.

OK, I finally got around to taking another look at this (I’ve been busy ><), and it was something to do with one of the following:

rm -Rf '/Users/ipsi/Library/Application Support/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player'
  rm -Rf '/Users/ipsi/Library/Saved Application State/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player.savedState'
  rm '/Users/ipsi/Library/Preferences/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player.plist'
  rm '/Users/ipsi/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/Syrinscape_D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41.plist'

I suspect one of those files/directories was corrupted, likely one of these two (since I repeatedly removed the others!)

rm '/Users/ipsi/Library/Preferences/unity.Syrinscape.Syrinscape Fantasy Player.plist'
  rm '/Users/ipsi/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter/Syrinscape_D105DF2A-6681-5071-A02A-23BB9F8C6C41.plist'

Removed all of that and now it at least loads again. Yay!

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand how you actually fixed it… but I AM pleaded it’s working again! :smiley: :pizza: :beers: