Text-prompt based Moods using AI

Hi. The Syrinscape suite is awesome. However, it remains a very, very challenging tool to use when trying to create custom Moods. It is very hard to find the right music and SFX, let alone the right combination. I currently look for Soundsets and Moods using keywords, and then customize an existing Mood. Still hard and cumbersome. Would it be possible to train and incorporate a ChatGPT engine to accept text prompts similar to the flourish text provided by DScryb, and then have it use your awesome library to put together music and SFX? So, for instance, I submit a prompt “Make a Mood for a gloomy 1920’s roadside diner, during a dark and very stormy night. Only one waitress, a drunk customer, and an elderly couple are present. Everyone is on edge, anxiously waiting out the storm. Wind and rain lash against the windows.” Now please note, I am NOT a fan of AI. I do not like AI generated art. However, this would provide a very, very fast way of putting something together quick using existing elements, that a user can then tinker with. QuestPortal already has a ChatGPT engine inside their suite with all of the Call of Cthulhu rulebooks fed into it. Works very well. I reckon one could do the same with a sound library.

2 Likes

Hey there rowdyjason
This is something that I have had to deal with for many years. And I am a creator of the official soundset.

One of the things that some of us have implemented are tags. These are words, that if typed in the “Library” “Sample” section, help us find the sounds we are looking for quicker.

For example, typing “music” & “combat” will list action pack tracks. Or “music” & “tense” for something calm. Sound effects too. Try “wind” & “cave” or “wind” & “interior” “creature” & “large”.

Unfortunately this only works on new sample that we have created over the pass 2-3 years, as the existing sounds would take many years to rename.

I hope this helps until AI can

You can also ask here! I’ve been using Syrinscape for 10 years now, and I’m pretty darn good at knowing where to find what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

@ominousbarry or @ryan.cassar - Where might one find these elusive tags in the http API? Assuming someone were trying to code up an AI such as what rowdyjason suggested?

edit: found it. limited to samples only

1 Like

@rowdyjason - I’ve been poking around with this since I want to learn how to program a LLM.

So far, my experience has been it’s both slow and expensive. While I’m enjoying myself, given the expense involved (about a $1.50 per query so far), this is not something I’m going to put too much effort into past today.

Claude v2.0

That being said - using one model, I got a really good result.

Using only the elements in the sound set “Dungeons & Dragons: Vecna: Eve of Ruin: The Lambent Zenith’s Last Voyage locations”, I asked Claude v2 to generate two new moods for me.

The first mood should evoke a sense of awe at sailing through the astral plane in a 16th century sailboat that has been magically enhanced to sustain the harshness of the astral plane. The mood should include sound effects of a 16th centruy sailing ship.
The second mood should convey a sense of danger as a dangerous creature has been spotted and is approaching as a prelude to combat.

I had it output in markdown format for use in Obsidian to make it easy to hear the results. Here’s what it output. It failed at the instructions of including sounds of a 16th century sailing craft in the first mood. :smiley: On the other hand, it only cost me $0.75

Here are two proposed new moods using the elements provided:

Astral Sailing

• Frozen in time chimes syrinscape:music:3551407:Frozen in time chimes
  • Fireside Tales Synth music syrinscape:music:3551408:Fireside Tales Synth music
  • Astral gusts syrinscape:sfx:3551427:Astral gusts
  • Shooting stars syrinscape:sfx:3551760:Shooting stars
  • Space drone syrinscape:sfx:3558150:Space drone

Danger Approaching

• Never Heroes tension music syrinscape:music:3551414:Never Heroes tension music
  • Unsettling music syrinscape:music:3551568:Unsettling music
  • Wind in the trees syrinscape:sfx:3558065:Wind in the trees
  • Large vine movement syrinscape:sfx:3558067:Large vine movement
  • Vine constrictions syrinscape:sfx:3558068:Vine constrictions

Claude v2.1

I decided to try Claude v2.1. It got the sailboat sounds included. I like how v2.1 is a little chattier and describes the moods at the end.

Here are two suggested new moods using the elements provided:

Astral Sailing

• Frozen in time chimes syrinscape:music:3551407:Frozen in time chimes
  • Fireside Tales Synth music syrinscape:music:3551408:Fireside Tales Synth music
  • Creaking ropes syrinscape:sfx:3551422:Creaking ropes
  • Wildspace random noises syrinscape:sfx:3551425:Wildspace random noises
  • Astral gusts syrinscape:sfx:3551427:Astral gusts

Approaching Danger

• Never Heroes tension music syrinscape:music:3551414:Never Heroes tension music
  • Unsettling music syrinscape:music:3551568:Unsettling music
  • Footsteps on wood syrinscape:sfx:3551421:Footsteps on wood
  • Pulsing flesh syrinscape:sfx:3558056:Pulsing flesh
  • Chains rattling against wall syrinscape:sfx:3558059:Chains rattling against wall

The first mood combines chimes and synth music with ship creaking, space noises, and wind to convey a sense of mystical exploration. The second mood uses tense music alongside approaching footsteps, strange pulsing

Wow thanks you all for your replies! @HECook, thanks for offering your help! Do I understand correctly that I can ask you for suggestions if I am stuck with a particular soundset or mood? That would be extremely helpful already. @coop: I have checked out Claude. Unfortunately, my IT / AI kung fu is nowhere near your levels I am afraid. In my opinion, your efforts do indicate that what I suggest is indeed possible! I am not entirely sure what your cost breakdown is based on, but ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. If Syrinscape were to introduce a premium rate for inclusion of a similar AI feature, I would be very interested. But again, all, thanks so much for your feedback, really helpful!

Yes, I really just meant that because of the cost involved it’s not something I’d be willing to do as an open source/free hosted service (which I was originally considering).

I got the speed issue solved though. Combination of better understanding of how to do things and using a different model. I got a better recommendation than I posted above in a fraction of the time.

1 Like

Certainly! Just ask me and I’ll help you track down whatever you need!

2 Likes

Yep, we have the “SoundSet Suggestion” thread where you can create a post and describe a scene. Then our awesome community can offer up suggestions for the perfect SoundSets.

@HECook is absolutely amazing, and will normally offer up sounds that even I had forgotten we had!