System Freeze - caused by Bluetooth speaker

I’ve downloaded Syrinscape to try it out and see if I wanted to use it at the gaming table. However, the software is hard-locking my entire system down, so much so that my only recourse is the power down the machine from the on/off button. I cannot even access Task Manager or the Windows restart/shutdown menu. I can access the task bar, but I can’t do anything else otherwise, nothing works. Happens about 10-20 minutes after running Syrinscape with or without the player running.

Surface Pro 4
Windows 10 Pro
Running the application in Administrator mode.
Event Viewer shows the following:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscBrokerManager
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

So, question is, do I really have to set the DistributedCOM permissions just to run this application? Usually this kind of errors are benign, but this is causing a very hard crash of my system. Have you seen this before, because this is a major hurdle towards me purchasing any of the soundsets.

Ooo! That’s nasty!

Definitely NOT seeing ANYTHING like this at all from anyone else.

Maaaaaybe… .some overzealous malware protection is interfering with Syrinscape’s operation…?! And that’s causing a memory access lockdown… ummm…

Note: you can also run Syrinscape on MACs, Android and iOS… but you should EASILY be able to run in on any Windows PC.

Another thing to check might be a display conflict. Syrinscape is built on Unity, so maybe search for into on the Surface Pro and Display Driver conflicts with Unity Apps? And/Or set something re that?

Some ideas?

Definitely let us know how you go… and if you come up with a solution!!!

I’ve narrowed this down to the bluetooth device and not to Syrinscape. Seems my new bluetooth speaker is causing the DCOM error and locking up the system, I was just running Syrinscape in each instance and was sure it was the culprit. It wasn’t. On the other hand, this new bluetooth speaker is a real problem…

1 Like

That’s good to know! :slight_smile:

And bad to know for the Bluetooth speaker. :crying_cat_face:

Note: this is a really good example of why bringing these things up is important, because I was able to say that we weren’t getting similar reports, which let you look wider than Syrinscape. Yay for challenging assumptions and getting context! :beer:

Yeah, I had forgotten that my bluetooth speaker was new and it was the first time using it on the Surface Pro 4. I’m currently testing it for YouTube content and seeing if it will crash again. In any case, probably returning it, since it constantly tries to pair with any device after it is turned off, where I have to remove it altogether from the device and re-pair it. Not the thing I bought it for obviously, which was what made me doubt it was really Syrinscape in conjunction with it.

1 Like

I’ve found Bluetooth to be quite a hassle sometimes.

Weirdly pairing… cracklying between two devices… refusing to connect at all.

When it works right, I love it… but there’s still a bit of a way to go before it really feels like the future!