Syrinscape SoundSet Creator not opening

Downloads fine and installs fine, but when I click to open it it keeps trying and failing to connect. Then, after a minute or so of trying, it closes and my anti-virus software says that a file “Real Protect-ECI 88D88E1AE945” has been quarantined from the Syrinscape SoundSet Creator folder in my program files. Not sure if this is a known issue?

This is probably the time, when the Creator is trying to connect to the Syrinscape server. Try to set an exception in your AV program and allow the Creator to access the internet.
This sometimes happens with anti virus solutions. Out of curiosity: what is the AV of your choice?

McAfee, unfortunately. I find it to be less obtrusive than some of the other mainstream options…

So I set all the SyrinScape stuff to have maximum permissions through my firewall, and it’s still doing the same thing. I’ve tried restoring the quarantined file but then the program doesn’t open at all (I don’t know that McAfee is properly restoring it).

The internet connection is good, but when I open SyrinScape it says “Connecting” then “AutoReconnecting” then “Connecting” then “Disconnected by Host” (would that be SyrinScape?); it does that once or twice before giving up and then I get the quarantine message.

I’m on an HP Envy running Windows 8.1 (64-bit) with an Intel i7 and an NVidia GeForce 840M graphics card, if that helps at all. I just use the on board wireless to connect to my home internet.

Incidentally, since I’m upgrading from a Pathfinder subscription, I can confirm that the Syrinscape Fantasy player works fantastically well and connects without issue.

Sounds like Syrinscape is having trouble contacting the server that the software runs on the local machine.

have you got a clean install?

What are you clicking on to run the Creator?

See any Goblins needing crushing?

I… think I have a clean install? I’ve been uninstalling and reinstalling each time the file gets quarantined since merely restoring the file doesn’t seem to work. How would I know if the install is clean?

I’m clicking on the desktop shortcut created by the installer. That opens up a small window with the dialogue about connecting / reconnecting / etc.

I see many goblins that need many much crushings on their lil goblin heads, and thanks to Syrinscape Fantasy Player, I not only see those goblins but I can HEAR them too. :smiley:

OK. Things being quarentined is aBIG worry.

There’s a lot of fancy stuff the Creator does… like write to the registry and store data in a Cache and access the internet to download AND upload content… all this would look very very suspicious to a malware program like McAfee… and if you are having to save things from quarentine then WHO KNOWS what is getting done to Syrinscape’s install settings and reg entries etc.

OK… looks like you need to find some way of whitelisting the installer AND all the files that it installs and the directories it writes too… hmmm… not sure I know how to do this.

I’ll do a bit of digging and see what i can find… in the meantime… let us know if you get it working, because you may well help some others at some point! :slight_smile:

Good luck goblin hunting!!!

I mean, I could just turn McAfee off while I download and install, and then set it to give maximum permissions to Syrinscape once I turn the AV back on. Let me try that and see if it works.

Stay safe. Turn it back on quick once the install is installed!

So that seems to have worked this time. I now have it open in the browser. It did take several “connecting / auto-reconnect” cycles to do it, but at least this time nothing got quarantined since I had… ya know… turned off the program that does the quarantining…

I do not know what will happen on subsequent attempts to connect to the SoundSet Creator. But for now I am quite happy that it was a simple fix to at least get basic access to it.

Now I just have to learn how to use the thing… :stuck_out_tongue: