Syrinscape Online Player Android App Not Playing in Background

I’ve scoured the boards and could only find an .apk to “fix” this issue but only with the Fantasy Player.

The setup I’m aiming for is to be able to controll the audio from the Master Interface in my laptops browser and play to my linked phone that’s connected to a Bluetooth speaker. It works great, but I also have curated a playlist in Spotify to play in tandem to everything else that Syrinscape has to offer.

Is there any plans to update the Online Player’s Android app to be able to play in the background?

Yeah, this is NOT something we were able to work around in the end. There’s just no way of guaranteeing the app the processing power it needs once it goes into the background, and we found phones let the audio start breaking up once they got interesting in running other processes.

That said, running the app in multi-tasking mode (which you can do with the current latest build) works well for me on iPad… that keeps it in the ‘foreground’.

Also, consider trying the brand new shiny Web Player, that might give you a few options too?! Though performance on Android is not something we have dug into yet.

Is there an update on this? Do you ever plan to support it?

I’m a new user and I run my tabletop games from my android tablet. I’ve been playing with the Syrinscape app, but there’s no way I can find to run it in parallel to my other game apps.

Unfortunately, Syrinscape just doesn’t work for me in it’s current state.

Brian M

Hi @BrianM,

The solution for you may well lie in the Web Player.

What I do, is run the Web Player UI on my tablet (with the sound muted) and share my audio with another device plugged into my surround system.

The sound comes out of that powered and (otherwise) unused device… while I use the interface on my tablet (which doesn’t now need to stay in the foreground).

If your ‘plugged in’ device is a weaker phone of tablet that won’t run the Web Player audio smoothly you can instead use the Online Player app.

Info on the two solutions here:

Have a play there and let us know how you go. :slight_smile:

Ok thank you for the reply. I’ll give it a try.

Cheers,
Brian M

1 Like

Cools! Let us know how you go, what ultimate solution you come up with, AND ask some questions if you need to! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get everything going at once on my Android tablet. There isn’t enough real estate to keep Syrinscape in the foreground while running my other game utilities and displaying the documentation at the same time.

My workaround is to run the Fantasy App on my phone (also Android - connected to external Bluetooth speakers) which can sit beside me on the table. It can stay up all the time on the phone and I can control the sound from there while we play.

Thanks for your help and suggestions though. This is an Android limitation I will have to live with.

Brian