Syrinscape Online and virtual tabletops?

Not quite sure how to run a game with Syrinscape Online. It seems I’d need a virtual tabletop too. What works best? Discord? Roll20? Zoom?

Do you have more info on what you are trying to do? There are offline players (fantasy, six-if, and board game) that you can use for in person games.

You don’t need a virtual tabletop to use syrinscape online. Syrinscape online is just usually used with VTTs because it lets you play music to other people’s computers (when they download the player) to help immersion when everyone is in different rooms

I want to run an online game using Syrinscape sound effects. So I want to present clues and interact verbally with online players while playing the sound effects.

Hey @mrshiny :slight_smile:

When we play online, we use:

• ANY chat client for voice communication (eg Zoom, Skype, Discord).
  • For maps we use a Google Presntation which we all share so we can move round our tokens etc
  • We use the Syrinscape Online Player to run sound (music, ambiances, spell sounds etc)

NOTE: we also sometimes use a VTT to do minis and maps and dicerolls, my favourite one of those is Fantasy Grounds (nice tool + nice people).

To get started with Syrinscape Onlines:

And definitely check out this video:

Have a good look at all that and then come back here and ask some specific questions. :slight_smile:

Makes sense?

ALSO: Welcome to everything Syrinscape AND this forum! :pizza: :beers:

I tried quite a few VTT and settled on FoundryVTT. With the Modules and multiple Systems supported it was the one I found mostly fitting for my needs. You need a somewhat fast upload though or you need to fork out some cash for hosting it in the cloud.

I started running games online in March like many of us were forced to. I settled on Fantasy Grounds because I like its automation features, and a few weeks ago I started using Syrinscape for sounds.

There is an absolutely excellent extension on DMSGuild if you are running 5e which lets you control all your Syrinscape sounds from within Fantasy Grounds. So now I have the moods I want pinned as links to my maps and can just click them to activate without taking attention away from the game.

Even better, the extension has automated a whole bunch of spell and combat sounds - it checks the FG chat output for “triggers”, then plays the appropriate spell sound in Syrinscape without me lifting a finger. It really adds to the game having players HEAR their fireballs and cure wounds without me having to remember to DJ them.

You can customise these triggers too. So in one of my games where players are finding out about new sorts of music-based magic, I don’t need to say “you hear mysterious magic sound number one”, I can just play it to them… and automate playing it when some PC or NPC casts an appropriate spell.

The only downside I have found thus far is that with FG, Syrinscape in a browser, the Syrinscape Online Player and Skype/Discord for video chat, something in my system is struggling a bit to keep up. But it might well just be my slow rural internet connection (we’re getting a leased line put in so will see if that improves it).

It’s not the cheapest or the simplest set up, but I have to say FG plus Syrinscape is absolutely killer in terms of what it will do for you, especially what it will automate.

Cheers, Hywel

2 Likes

Yep @hywelphillips . I love syrinscape and mattekure’s extension that lets you automate chatsounds. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, Mattekure has done an amazing job with his Fantasy Grounds Syinscape link extension. When you also use his chat triggers extension it really helps showcase what can be done with Syrinscape’s third-party API. We use it all of the time in our own team games and love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes