SyrinScape for Foundry V12+

HELP!

Has anyone found an alternative to how you can get Syrinscape sounds piped in to Foundry now that the dev of SyrinControl is not maintaining it?

And no one has taken over from them.

Works perfectly in v11 Foundry, however v12 onwards it is just not happening.

I contacted the original dev and they have said they are not dealing with it anymore and no one has taken it on. :frowning:

Ok that is sad. I relied heavily on this module to add Syrinscape sounds to scenes. Could this be possibly be taken over by Syrinscape directly? I think this should be ideally a Syrinscape owned and maintained module to drive Syrinscape adoption within the Foundry VTT community.

1 Like

Hey all,

Yes, itā€™s sad that @frondeus is not able to keep support on this one. Their hard work was GREATLY appreciated by us here! :pizza: :beers: :partying_face:

It is possible that all SyrinControl needs is a check and update of compatible version counter.

Taking over OURSELVES is not something we have the capacity to do right now = there is SO much important stuff we are trying to get doneā€¦ :frowning:, but we are ALWAYS very happy to support anyone as we can if they need help getting started with the extensive API and Docs we have built for integrations like this (the drop-in code and calls are what are used in SyrinControl)ā€¦ and Iā€™m sure @frondeus would do a helpful handover to someone who is willing to take the plunge.

In the meantimeā€¦ if you use Foundry and can possibly imagine a way your players could swallow opening a single tab in the backgroundā€¦ there is the Web Player at app.syrinscape.com it really WAS built to work alongside any VTTā€¦ and you can still use all the API calls to control the Web Player from directly withing YOUR text and sheets and maps in Foundry.

ANDā€¦ long term we ARE working on a couple of angles for things that might help EVEN MORE seamless sound for players on ANY VTTā€¦ so stay tuned for news on that front. We will need testers at some point. Anyone keen? :telescope:

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. Yes I understand the business decision. However for me the web app is a step backwards as it is slower and requires DJā€™ing.

With the module it was possible to directly link scenes to playlists and drop ambience on the canvas.
For me a web player is no alternative to a foundry module. Therefore I moved to the competition yesterday that has a fully integrated module.

I really loved the content of Syrinscape and the mapping of sounds to adventures like CoS is awsome but for a premium service I also expect a native module to use a VTT. The audio is the main thing for sure but not everything.

Happy to come back however, if you found a way.

I understand @Valmont and am very sad to see you go. We look forward to seeing you back when you are able and appreciate the support you were able to give while you were able to.

Just clarifying a couple of things:
Hmmmā€¦ so playback itself canā€™t be slowerā€¦ because SyrinControl was literally using the Web Player code dropped into the page for playback, but you might mean having to go through the process of searching etc(?)

Iā€™m pretty sure you can still drop shortcuts in as macros directly in Foundry. Does anyone know an efficient way of getting this done without SyrinControl? Itā€™s our API links = which can be downloaded in bulk in the csv that SyrinControl was using.

Do you maybe want a bit of help doing some workarounds for the medium term before you have to go through the whole process of reworking sound?

Happy to help.

Aaaandā€¦ just for my infosā€¦ SyrinControl still works for the previous build (11) of Foundryā€¦ just not the latest update?

@benjamin - yes, according to one comment on the issue, thereā€™s a simple API change needed. Someone just needs to pick up the torch.

Iā€™ve reviewed the code - itā€™s written in typescript, and the original author seems to have been quite competent. Good test coverage, well written code.

1 Like

Huge bummer about SyrinControl not working in V12. But the Web Player works just fine.

2 Likes

Aha! Now this is interesting (and sad) - Iā€™m on V11 and canā€™t move to v12 because the Foundry Cyberpunk module wonā€™t work with it yet until the devs do some updates which they have said theyā€™re doing, albeit possibly slowly.

Iā€™m not a fan of DJing - too much going on running the game to do that as well and value the automation of sound triggering, so SyrinControl is important.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a dev to take it on, and in the meantime, I better start reading on how to use API calls from macros etc. WIll need to learn how to write macros in Foundry too, oh well! :slight_smile:

Setting up macros to trigger the sounds is actually fairly straight forward;

1. Create a Macro
  2. Name it something like memorable
  3. Change type to ā€œScriptā€
  4. Enter the code as: fetch('-LINK-', { mode: 'no-cors'})
  5. Replace -LINK- with the API link from Syrinscape (leave the surrounding ā€™ ā€™ )
  6. Test by clicking ā€œExecute Macroā€

You can use the macro either from the hotbar or copy it into your journal. so you can include them as part of your story notes ect.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve - I tried that out but get no sound - hereā€™s what I have:

This is an assault rifle sound, id: ā€˜e:1922449ā€™. I can get that element sounding fine selecting directly in SyrinControl as not upgraded to Foundry V12 yet.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Gareth

Have you got Syrinscape open in the background? The sounds wonā€™t play through Foundry, they will play from the Web Player

Yes I have it open in the background and Iā€™ve checked I donā€™t have the SciFiPlayer open. I disabled the SyrinControl module in case that had an impact and have re-linked my laptop in my account. From the web player I can manually trigger the ā€œAutomaticā€ element from the Cyberpunk Trauma Team pack, but executing the above macro for the API of that same element, get nothing. Trying other sounds including moods gets the same.

Following that, I saw a reference about the Web Player being a UI and the Online Player needed for the sounds, so I opened the Online Player. Selecting the ā€œAutomaticā€ element in the Web Player it sounds twice and I can see itā€™s also playing in the Online Player. But trying the macro, still nothing.

I also saw reference to port 7977 so opened that, but still no sound.

Doing more searching I found in your forum someone else has this problem - they didnā€™t reply it was resolved however in the chat it was mentioned ā€œBasically the API recieves a call (from anywhere), and the call is directed to the correct game by virtue of the DMā€™s ā€˜tokenā€™ā€

Iā€™ve not got anything in place for a DM token so I will check out documentation as I guess it could be more than just entering the above script in a macroā€¦?

Raising my hand to help testing on anything you have in the works!

1 Like

This is a real letdown. Iā€™ve been subscribing to syrinscape for quite awhile and for the last year or so mostly because of the integration within foundry. Iā€™m hoping someone will be able to work on this, but if not, I guess Iā€™ll have to cancel my subscription.

Hiya @joharr, rest assured we have been working on resolving thisā€¦ and in the meantime it looks like someone may have jumped on the project and given it a push forward to make it compatible with v12 for the moment? Have a look?

Actuallyā€¦ looks like there is a update request there that would need to be merged = but looks like it would be a fixā€¦ we are investigating! :robot: :hammer:

FWIW: I just discovered Foundry and am prepping for my first game using it. I also just found syrincontrol and didnā€™t realize it wasnā€™t compatible with Foundry 12, so I had been messing with it trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. In playing around with it I discovered this: when I use the sounds as a macro from the import function of syrincontrol - it does start playing the sounds. The catch is: 1. I have to have the web player open - and my players have to have the webplayer open as well. i.e. it doesnā€™t play through foundry, but I can at least start and end elements and moods from macros.
I have also found that when I use Monks tile triggers, can I can automatically trigger the macros to start the music playing. Itā€™s not really how syrincontrol is supposed to work, but at least itā€™s giving me a clunky work around until this gets updated (which I really hope it does!!)

Edit: I missed in the thread where this was already posted - sorry. :confused:

2 Likes

Here are the codes that I use for the macros - i think syrincontrol has to be enabled for them to work.

game.syrinscape.playElement(id: number);
game.syrinscape.stopElement(id: number);
game.syrinscape.stopAll();
game.syrinscape.playMood(id: number);
game.syrinscape.soundSources();
game.syrinscape.onlineElements();
game.syrinscape.onlineGlobalElements();

2 Likes