Syrinscape - Fantasy Grounds Extension delisted

Just an FYI to any that have purchased and use my Syrinscape extension for Fantasy Grounds. DMsGuild recently changed its policies and have decided to remove nearly all Fantasy Grounds extensions from their platform. They have delisted my Syrinscape Extension from there, so it is no longer available for purchase. I am somewhat in limbo as there is no current place I can legally publish it for sale, so I am waiting until things shake out. Smiteworks is aware of the affected extensions and is taking steps to provide a method for sales, but it will be some time before its ready.

Individuals who have already purchased it can still download it and my sound module update website is still functioning.

In the interim, if you want to use syrinscape with FG, you can check out the other sound extension AudioOverseer.

1 Like

Wow that sucks!

Note: mattekure’s extension is the best! AMAZING stuff! Keep us in the loop, and let us know if there is anything WE can do to help you out!!! I’ll have a chat to @steve about this!

Is there somewhere we can get more info about what-the-heck-is-going-down?!

There have been numerous discussions on the FG forums about it. It first seemed to come up a couple of weeks ago with one user reporting their extension was removed. From what little communication we have received, it appears that at some point Wizards of the Coast determined that they did not want extension content for Fantasy Grounds that wasn’t directly tied to 5e mechanics or adventure content. Any extension that just altered functionality for Fantasy Grounds without providing some D&D 5e mechanics and/or content was removed. Earlier today I was informed that most of my extensions were removed, including the syrinscape one. They seem to err on the side of removal rather than allowance, and I am not super sure I understand the rationale. Some of my fellow developers products that seem to fully meet their requirements were also removed. All in all over 30 extensions were delisted. I fully expect another round of cuts to the rest of my extensions but we will see.

For the time being, this puts my extension in limbo as I stated. Smiteworks is working on a solution that may become available in the next few months. Having been delisted from DMsGuild am no longer bound by their content publishers agreement, so I am free to figure out another solution as long as it meets with Smiteworks requirements.

Total nightmare of a situation! Thanks for the info @mattekure. We will have a look through and have a think.

Since dmsguilds.com is operated by the same people as drivethrurpg.com can’t you list your extensions there instead? There are various FG modules available for sale on drivethrurpg.com.

Unfortunately its not that simple. Smiteworks currently has a publishing contract in place with DMsGuild to allow publishing of Fantasy Grounds modules/content there. There is no current agreement with DTRPG, even though they are both under OneBookshelf parent company. Smiteworks has a small number of publisher contracts with individuals that allow them to publish on DTRPG, but its on a case by case basis, and they have recently stated that they do not wish to enter into a large number of these contracts.

Recently Smiteworks has indicated they have dedicated a developer nearly full time to working on the solution, so we hope to get a first glimpse of their proposed solution sometime early next year, but it may take some time before its fully available. One nice thing about their proposed system is that it will allow extensions to auto-update the same way modules bought through smiteworks do.

3 Likes

Your extension adds a brilliant dimension to our game play. I’ll be happy to support any letter-writing campaign to support your work.

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Its an odd thing, the day after I posted this, they relisted everything, with the intent to take it all down in the new year. I believe I have found a way to meet all of their criteria to allow it to continue to be listed. Since they require it to be “specifically augmenting a piece of 5E content or approved IP”, my plan is to build out a Fantasy Grounds module for some of the WotC published adventures that Syrinscape has developed soundsets for.

I am currently working on Waterdeep Dragon Heist. The idea is that the module I include will have all of the sounds organized by when they occur in the adventure to align with the existing FG module to make it easy for DMs to use the moods and one-shots during the adventure. So its a companion module to the official one with all the sound links organized for easy play.

4 Likes

I have published my compilation module for WDH as a free inclusion with the extension on DMsGuild. I am hoping it makes it easy for DM’s to use as it organizes all of the sounds through the entire adventure to align with the official FG module.

3 Likes

Might be a stupid question but is this why this extension/mod set no longer works for us?

I have access to the files still and tried everything from reinstalling to a new syrinscape token and also a whole new account…silence.

Like everyone else this added greatly to our game and now, silence, I feel for you I really do. I think WoTC is being ridiculous, but that’s how corporate entities seem to work.

Its difficult to diagnose what might be going wrong via the forums. The extension does still work and I use it in games at least 3-4 days a week. If at all possible, please come over to our discord for support as its much easier to communicate there. https://discord.gg/FVgtecr Visit the #mattekure-stuff channel and ping me.

In the meantime a couple of things to try.

1. make sure your extension is up to date. As of today, the current version for FG Unity is v20. It should say that in the chat when you load a campaign.
  2. Update your sound links file. The standard way is to use the web service https://mattekure.com/Syrin2FG/
  3. within FG, make sure you have the correct player type selected in the options, and if using syrinscape online, you have your authentication token registered. If using the Genre players like Fantasy or Sci-fi, make sure you have downloaded the sounds you want to play and test that you can play them in the player.
  4. If you are using a mac, make sure you are using syrinscape online and have the helper app installed. https://github.com/Moroverse/syrinscape_bridge/releases It wont work without it.
3 Likes

OK will do, thank you. #2 is the only thing I can try, everything else is up to date and configured as is with the “Online” player and FGU is up to date.

1 Like

Also, while it doesnt happen often, I have encountered a few users who reported that Syrinscape just stopped responding to links. In those cases the URI handler had somehow become disabled or deleted by anti-virus software. In those cases it took a full uninstall and reinstall of the application, and whitelisting the URI handler app to make it work.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help. I did get it working properly, clean install of both FG and the sound set. Not sure what was going on but it’s working now and our game tonight was like old times…with sound which really adds to the experience in my opinion.

I hope you get everything worked out so you can offer this to folks again, it’s a great mod.

1 Like

Awesome, glad to hear it. Thankfully the extension is still for sale and available for any who want it. It has a new home now on the Fantasy Grounds Forge at https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/117/view