Sounds of War Series : Rome/Greece/Medieval/Fantasy/Viking

1- Massive volleys of arrows going up and high , darkening the sky but being caught into into large bronze shields,
2- Latin phrases such as “Testudo!” to usher in the Roman shield wall formation as the Roman Army forms up and “Roma Victor!!” when the battle is won. (Roman)
3- variant horns of differing battle formations
4- shrieks of agony
5- fire burning on the field
6- groaning of the fallen on the firld
7 - Roman siege weapons being craked and let loose.
8- Crumbling city wall (From projectile catapault rock impacts)
9 - wailing fleeing townsfolk after a breach.
10 - Rallying deep trumpet with heroic music
11- slingers skirmishing en masse
12- Berserk barabarians howling and snarling into combat (Viking)
13- Cavalry charge command and then the thundering hooves begin
14- Cavalry contact with infantry sound
15- Cavalry falling into traps/shrieks
16 - trireme ramming ship sound.
17 - galley slaves desperately pleading to get out from below as ship sinks
18 - countless swords and axes clashing at the same time echoing across a field
19 - Cracking ice on a battlefield across a frozen lake (Viking)
20 - RETREAT! followed by panic and rout.
21- Viking boast song/ mead hall song for ambiance (Viking)
22- war drums en masse

4 Likes

I second this, and also perhaps marching battalions and running battalions? Maybe like marching chants, but I suppose that’s kinda implied! Any who Seconded! :smiley:

1 Like

This is all GREAT stuff. Let’s do it!

Can a few people try this for me:

1. Go to the “HBS Aria Park Protest” SoundSet,
  2. start the “Protest Battle” Mood.
  3. Turn off the “Protest drums” and “Women’s screams” elements
  4. Turn down the “Riotous yells” element (and the two below it).
  5. Go to “HBS Redact & Revenge” SoundSet
  6. Turn of the “Hell’s Rebel’s music”
  7. Go the “Bugbear Battle” SoundSet
  8. Turn on the “Axe and shield” and “Battle cry” elements
  9. Finally, go to the “Custom Moods” SoundSet
  10. turn of enigmatic silence
  11. Save your custom mood (using the little plus at the bottom of the second column)

How does that suit you all for a starting point?

People can use that for the moment, and if you all like it, or have any modifications, I will mix all that together and add a few more bits (at your suggestion) and make an actual dedicated SoundSet.

Let me know how you go?! :slight_smile:

~Ben

2 Likes

Got a game tonight so will give this a try and let you know how it goes :grin:

I just tried what you suggested, Ben, and I think that mix of elements sounds really good!

2 Likes

The suggestions are pretty awesome but I was just curious, is there any plan in the future to implement some kind of war sounds? Most notably what I’d be all for is “marching armies” like thousands on the march and maybe with commanders yelling orders?

1 Like

Bugbears in battle is good for small encounters, but I am just checking if there was anything new on the front of larger scale war sounds. I need find that my campaign often need ambiance for something like the siege of “Helm’s Deep” from Lord of the Rings, or like the “Battle of the Blackwater” from Game of Thrones. I also need the sounds of many arrows raining down on an army like in “Braveheart” or “300”.

Also a friend is running a GURPS: Rome campaign that often uses onagers, ballistae, Greek fire, etc.

I would be willing to pay extra for a set this robust. I can’t be the only one really wanting this. The players in my campaign are totally sucked in by the sounds from Syrinscape running when we play D&D.

if you have a Supersyrin subscription then look for ‘Battle of Wolven Pass’ it should be just what your looking for. Currently its only available to people that have access to the creator but that might change if enough people ask @Benjamin for it :smile:

1 Like

I like this @Pertinax_Caro

“The players in my campaign are totally sucked in by the sounds from Syrinscape running when we play D&D.”

What @Caldeth said is absolutely right. There’s actually a quickly growing library of content available to SuperSyrins for free as Community Content. Including some DnD adventures that some people are building (not done yet).

Very cool really!

Add to that the “Battle of the Bastards” Game of Thrones.

1 Like

What I would love to see/hear would be PRE battle sounds, like the already mentioned marching, but far more important, chanting soldiers/orc. Soundsets that can emulate the feeling from the moments just before the start of the battle of Helms Deeps:

The moments just before a big battle are usually the best to create the moot for it. Who would remember Zulu if not for the Chanting and singing right before the charge?

If you have a Supersyrin sub then you’ll be able to listen to Battle of Wolven pass which has exactly that. Men marching with a herald and Orcs marching to drums and chants

1 Like

Yep @caldeth has done some awesome work there!!!

1 Like

The Roman and Viking dialog would be the coup de gras to add to this. I love ancient historical and there are some Ancient Roman RPGs out there that would get some play, along with Vikings.

1 Like

We hear you! And totally agree.

“Battle of Wolven Pass” is very fantasy based but a more historical version is on my list of things to try. Anyone speak Latin or Nordic? I offer virtual :cookie: for voice samples!

I have rudimentary Latin knowledge but would need to research the topic to get it right. Here are some links:

1 Like