Sound Issues Changing Playback Device and Syrinscape

Hi Folks,
A really odd thing has just manifested itself. I’ve been using Syrinscape with Fantasy Grounds and Teamspeak using VB Audio Cable A for probably about 8 months or so with no issues. Unfortunately, there was a Windows 10 update this past Sunday morning and that I believe has bollocksed things for me. Now, whenever I switch the playback device to the virtual cable, launch Syrinscape and then switch the playback device back to my Speakers, I get no sound from Syrinscape. I do, however, get sound from the Speakers settings with other applications or say launching YouTube. Also, I can get sound from it as normal if I restart and using the default (Speakers) and then launching Syrinscape. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled Syrinscape; Realtek Drivers and the Virtual Audio Cable Drivers. I’m kind of at my wits end here. Any help is greatly appreciated…Thanks!!

1 Like

Hey Dax. I’ve had problems with windows updates and my sound settings for a while now. So, I can’t answer definitely, but after the most recent windows update my sounds were jacked again as well. People couldn’t hear me through discord. I have a process now where, after every update I do several things as follows:

1 - Check my sound settings/defaults in all programs (including VM banana, discord or ts3, etc…). Even if you haven’t touched them they sometimes reset with a windows update.
2 - Check you antivirus software and make sure syrinscape, discord, etc. are all “whitelisted”.
3 - Check windows defender and make sure it isn’t on and blocking programs. I swear with the last update when I checked windows defender it was blocking some of my apps and my av program (kaspersky) was blocking things it hadn’t previously.

I think now by sounds are all good but I haven’t run a completely live session yet, just tested everything again. If these things don’t help, let me know and I’ll see what other ideas I have given I’ve worked with sounds a lot. Good luck!

BTW, I use VM banana, syrinscape and realtek drivers as well.

1 Like

THANX Windows Update!!! :-/

:smile:

I think I got it worked out with Gwydion’s help. A little weirdness still but hopefully that gets ironed out. Never really figured out the problem but it seems to be working again and that’s the most important thing. This last update was not one that I appreciated - that’s for sure.

1 Like

Yay!

I blame Goblins at Microsoft fr building these ‘special’ features into Windows for us all to have fun with!

Maybe a little OT here but do you get 5.1-Sound to work in VoiceMeeter Banana on the Virtual Inputs?
Syrinscape only sends stereosignals to those inputs.

Hi @Gwydion,

I’ve been using VM banana, syrinscape and realtek drivers for a long time as well. Two weeks my W10 Pro got an update and since I am not able to get syrinscape playing through VM banana.I use Fantasy Grounds as Virtual Tabletop and Discord. I have tried several things, all of them useless.It is driving me totally mad. I was unable to use Syrinscape during my last 4 virtual sessions (Two PF and two CoC) and my players have already told me that they are missing the immersive atmosphere that Syrinscape generates.

Are you using Virtual Cable? Which one? The “default” one or the HD Virtual Cable?.
Would you be so kind to share your configuration just in case I am missing something?? I would really appreciate it.
Nevertheless, I will try all your suggestions today.

Thanks in advance,

Isaac

I will admit this is something I haven’t tried as I don’t have a 5.1 setup when I play. I know VM banana should be capable to handle 5.1.

Hey ichaaito. My setup is the same. VM banana, syrinscape and realtek drivers (along with several other programs since I stream on twitch). I use the standard VACs. I have also, aso I’ve posted, had problems with various windows updates. I’m sure you have done this, but start with the basics. For me, with some of the windows updates ALL my inputs/outputs seem to reset for every program, including discord. So, if you took screenshots before the update (I have screenshot of all my settings in the event they reset), go back and check them. Sometimes the name of the cables can change even which will cause an issue in VM banana. Discord can be an issue as well. Check your voice settings and make sure they didn’t reset to default. If you do all that and still have issues I would suspect antivirus software or firewall next. Most likely antivirus. Make sure that with the update none of your settings changed and you still see syrinscape, discord, etc. all whitelisted.

I won’t be around tonight at home but I should have time one night this week to jump in discord voice and help you if you send me screenshots, etc… My discord link I believe is in this thread and should be set to not expire so feel free to connect with me and PM me in discord. Good luck!

One other thing to mention and something that Microsoft recommends is that if you see that the Playback device icons changed, it means that the update may have replaced those drivers. Uninstall the VB Cables, reboot, re-install the VB Cables and reboot. I believe you may need to do that with VM Banana also. Sometimes that works…

1 Like

Hey Isaac. Any update? Were you able to get it to work? Keep us posted. Thanks!

Hi and thanks @Gwydion and @daxdoomslayer

Sorry for my late answer. I’ve been quite busy since my last post and till today I have had no time to try all your suggestions and some other that I’ve found by googleling.

I am happy to say that finally “I” was able to make it work. It is my firm belief that during the afternoon (5:30 PM in Spain) the stars were aligned in the right position. I’ve been checking since and there have been no reports about a mysterious island emerging from the deep ocean neither crazy dreams from sensitive minds talking about an imposible place. I reckon that we are still safe and sound and that Cthulhu continues slumbering in the sunken city of R’lyeh.

Joke aside, I think that in addition to windows updating something that I was not able to determine, and which was messing all my configurations up, I had a known issue with my MoBo (Asus Maximum IX Hero).
There is a several times reported problem with the “oficial” sound drivers from Asus. Output and Input sounds are crappy with such drivers, The solution from the community is to uninstall Asus Drivers and to leave the default ones installed by Windows10.

Doing that somehow did the trick. Sound was fine and without distortion when I used Discord or Hangout. My mic volume was, however, ridiculously quiet and the person at the other end had problems listening to me.
In the very moment that I installed Voicemeeter Banana and HiFiCableAsioBridge the volume of my microphone increases substantially but I sounded metallic and distorted. There was also a terrible popping noise at both ends of the line.

Appealing to the patient of my wife who was the one helping me, I continue trying different things.

1. I uninstalled the HiFiCableAsioBridge driver, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, restarted PC and tried. Same problem (Quiet mic, popping noises and metallic and distorted voice).
  2. I installed VBCable, cleaned the registry with CCleaner, restarted PC and tried. Same problem.
  3. I went to the Realtek Website and downloaded their High Definition Audio Codecs. Mic volume was great (too loud in fact), but I still heard the cracking noises at my end and there was too much static at the other end.
  4. Finally, I uninstalled Realtek Drivers, cleaned the registry with CCleaner and restarted PC.

It was 17:30 H. Always optimistic I tried it one more time just for the sake of it. IT WORKED. It worked pretty well. Voice, checked. Discord, checked. Handout, checked. Syrinscape music and sounds through both, wonderful. Tonight we were playing Pathfinder and The Rise of the Runelord (we are nearly finishing the campaign) via Discord and I was using the soundsets and everything worked flawlessly.

To give a living probe of “my success” I am considering to record myself reading “El Quijote de la Mancha” (in Spanish), adding Syrinscape sounds and effect to the record and post it here :wink:

Honestly, I have no clue about what “I have done” to make it work or what was wrong. I reckon that after uninstalling Realtek drivers, Windows10 has installed its default ones, the same ones installed previously and that were not working. So, maybe the Realtek drivers left something useful behind.

Unless someone has a better hypothesis I will stick to my “star alignment” one.

Thank you again for your help :smile: .

Cheers,

Isaac

1 Like

I think its clear that the planetary alignment was such that the sounds had no choice but to align and work and going forward you should have absolutely no issues due to the magnetization caused by said alignment… At least, that is what I’m going with…

Glad you have it working!

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it working!! It’s weird how glitches like that cause things to all of a sudden stop working and then start working again. Darn gremlins! I typically just say 'it’s magic and that’s why it’s working now" - lol!!

2 Likes