Sound dies when I switch from online player to master interface

Hi,

I’ve got a question regarding the online player on the iPad. If I use it on mine there seems to be a problem which I guess lies with apple. So I start the online player and it properly starts and links the iPad. Then I change into safari and go to my master interface. Once I start mood I have to go back to the online player app to actually hear it. Which means in order to hear something the online player has to be the active app. Every time I switch to change a mood it first kills the sound, second it reloads the master interface site (which takes some time), third I choose a new mood and fourth I go back to the online player and I can hear sound again.
Is there any way to get smooth transitions on an iPad. I know that video apps are able to produce a small window that always stays in the front and thus the sound never gets lost whichever app I use in full screen mode besides the video app (basically a picture in picture thing). If that would be possible with the online player it would solve this problem.
Thank you, Christian

Hi,

Yes, the Online Player will only Player when it is in the foreground OR present in multitasking. Another option is to run the Online Player on ANY other device (eg your phone).

Here’s a copy and paste from our FAQ about background playback:

——

Why won’t Syrinscape run in the background on iPads and iPhones?
NOTE: There is now an Android build that plays in the background. Download it here.

Syrinscape uses the super powerful Unity engine for its 3D surround audio. At the moment that’s what’s stopping it from going into the background. Think of Syrinscape more as a fully fledged sequencer (like Garage Band = stops in the background) than a music player playing a single mp3! Often Syrinscape is playing back 20 or more samples simultaneously, each with dynamic positioning, reverb and even doppler effect. Performance and responsiveness becomes a BIG issue when processes go to low power mode, and there’s issues with keeping Unity running and not destroying the rest of the Tablets system, thus Unity (and hence Syrinscape) pauses atm. I have actually found it is best to have Syrinscape sitting open on the table in front of me so I can change Sounds with just a single touch. Just make sure you keep the screen brightness low-ish so as not to drain your battery.

ALSO: Remember you can sign in as you on up to three devices at once, so you might get one of your players to bring a tablet to devote to Syrinscape for the game, with the bonus that they will get to keep the sounds when they are home too. Just make sure you leave a chunk of time to download necessary content.

Does that all make sense?

That said, should it become possible to keep Syrinscape running in the background at some time in the future, be assured, we will DEFINITELY go for it! It’s something I would like too!