Serious bug - fantasy player shut down all of a sudden

I’m about to start a session. Prepared by starting up Syrinscape. It runs, but after 10-20 minutes it suddenly shuts down and goes to the homescreen.

Running it on an iPad 4 with its latest iOS.

We’ve not had any other reports of the app behaving like that. Are you using one of the Genre Players (Fantasy, Sci-fi, boardgame) or Syrinscape Online?

We have just released an updated version of the Genre Players, so I would definitely recommend updating the app. Also with the iPad (or any tablet) you might want to make sure that you have closed any other apps that you have running in the background. Syrinscape is a powerful app so if you are using a soundset with lots of content then it does mean that the device is working quite hard. If it’s a large soundset and you have other programs taking up the devices processing then it might be the tablet that’s closing the app. I think the Gen 4 iPad was 2012 so it does run one of the older style processors, so anything to help reduce the processors work will improve it’s performance.

Is this happening with one of our soundsets or one of the ones you have built? have you tested it on a smaller soundset, one with less elements? That might help identify if it is the app or the device that’s crashing

It’s one of my own sound sets. I’m not running any other apps. Playback works flawlessly on my iPhone X.

The iPhone X came out in 2017 and has one of Apples newer processors running it. The iPad 4 runs on a 1.4GHz one-core processor but the iPhone x is on a 2.4GHz six-core processor, so the phone has quite a lot more power for running programs.

Does the iPad crash as often when you are running smaller soundsets? I suspect that if your soundset is big it could be using up to much of the iPads processing power, which would cause the iPad to drop the app

I’ll try it out and see if there’s any difference.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar problem today while running Descent into Avernus. On an iPhone 8 with iOS 14 and the latest app version. The sound started popping and then crashed over and over. It also caused my phone to get super hot (not on the charger). Reboot didn’t help, and it drained my phone which usually lasts all 6 hours of the game to only 3. I honestly believe it’s an iOS 14 and new app conflict because I’ve never had this issue before the last build for both Apple and the app.

Did you manage to try this out @bjornsundell? A few other people have actually reported a similar issue since updating to 1.4.9-p1 - iOS so we are looking into this. if you roll back to the previous version do you still get the same error?

Haven’t had the time to try it out yet. Sorry. But then it seems its not only me.