Reign of Winter

I am starting Reign of Winter and was looking for winter themed or other appropriate music. I was wondering what other people found useful for it.

Icy wasteland would definitely be my go-to set. You could take elements from that and add it to any of the other soundsets to give them a cold, frigid and icy touch

I’m sure @HECook will also have lots of awesome ideas of which sets would work well for that campaign :slight_smile:

I’ve been summoned! @adrianschauer, what places, monsters, and moods are there in the campaign, and I will certainly be happy to recommend what soundsets are needed!

2 Likes

The first part of the AP has a very strong Russian, fey, and winter vibe.
most of the memorable encounters are with different sorts of fairies.

I need some more specifics, please! Where are the characters? Forest, village, city, inns, caves, dungeons, etc? Name some specific sorts of places. With the fey encounters, are they negotiations or bargains or fights? If fights, are we talking small fey with magical powers? Ordinary weapons? Big monstrous fey? Tree-like fey? What kind of fey? What’s going on?! :smiley:

1 Like

REIGN OF WINTER BOOK 5 SPOILERS

I’m having the same issue. I’m in book 5. The party has emerged into a forest in mid-revolution Russia. Winter, forest, rifles, etc.

I can offer the following (being as I went through a small part of the first chapter in a play-by-post game - I’ll need help to know what’s in the subsequent chapters, as I don’t own Reign of Winter):

Icy Wasteland has various amounts of chilly wind as well as walking through snow, cold music, and occasional growls of something large and lurking.

Whispers in the Wind (from the Spires of Xin’Shalast in the Rise of the Runelords set) has wind, storm, creepy distant wails (which are good for a lot of things), as well as a variety of “horror tree” noises originally for a tree monster, but also work for various snapping branches. There are also noises of being inside a cabin during a storm (with wind rattling the glass).

The Birds has an element called “creaking trees” which is good for walking through a snow-covered forest.

Rifles can be found in the Modern Weapons set, or in the High Seas Battle with the “musket shots” element.

I know you fight frost fey in the first chapter, so using the High Seas battle again for “arrows landing in wood” and “arrows landing in flesh” elements (or those are also in the universal one-shot box).

I recall there being a village in the first part, so combining the “cabin” sounds from Whispers in the Wind with some of the elements from Friendly Village.

Beyond that I’ll need someone to tell me what places, encounters, and monsters there are to give more suggestions! :slight_smile:

1 Like