Problems with the new fantasy version

So, after a long absence, I loaded up the newest version of windows Syrinscape 1.4.10-p0 and the performance is even worse. Multiple not respondings, takes a long time to start something, even playing instant sounds takes a few seconds. Logging in took minutes! Just to type my password I went through three Not Responding results.

Clicking on a soundset took forty seconds for it to be ready to play with one Not Responding. That was the first soundset. The second only took fifteen seconds to come up. The third took about ten seconds to switch to it. Fourth and subsequent ones take five seconds to switch to.

I do a search and grab the tiny thin scroll bar and if my pointer leaves the scroll bar, it stops scrolling and I have to grab it again.

Where is the improved search interface? Where are the improvements?

Hi @evildmguy,

The performance shouldn’t be any worse. What are you running it on?

DO NOTE: on first run, there is a LOT of downloading and sorting and stuff that happens in the background to get setup… depending on your internet connection this can take a little while.

forty seconds

Yeah, probably due to the first time run.

Yes, the scrollbar dragging does have a bug, but scrolling with a roller should still be smooth(ish)?

Improved search is still on its way.

We had a real dev crunch since Nov, losing a significant team member at the Interaction Consortium, so despite having the financial resources we weren’t able to finish off the stuff we wanted to get done… soooo we went into recruitment mode. Turns out this takes a LOT of time and emotional energy, BUT as you might have seen form our Socials we have TWO new shiny dev people in our internal team! Yay!

BUT of course, on boarding new dev members takes a lot of time too! :smiley:

That said, @sonofconan just pushed what should theoretically be a final draft of the new search to Staging for us all to test… so that SHOULD be arriving on Production in the next week or so.

Thanks for your continued engagement and patience!

There IS accelerated dev progress happening right now, which should really start to pay off through the rest of the year! :fireworks:

I can only say I hope so. I have been looking for a reason to subscribe again. I want to give you my money! I can’t justify it until at a minimum, searching and performance are improved.

Thank you for your reply.

edg

Arise, old thread!

@benjamin

I know this is not helpful but all I can say is that when I went to use the offline Syrinscape again, it completely failed me. I wish there were logs I could send or it wasn’t while gaming, so I could get some video of it.

My system, even as old as it is, is still a good one. I have 64G RAM, an nvidia GeForce GTX 980 video card, and 6 3.3 GHz cores.

The past few game days, I start up Syrinscape in the morning, I don’t know how long it takes to be ready as I go do other things. Eventually, I use it for some background music throughout the day. So, it’s up and running and is fine. The guys arrive and I go to use Syrinscape and it’s not responding. I do manage to search among sound sets (can’t wait for the new search you are making to be done) and that is okay but selecting them doesn’t do anything. I try single shot sounds. Nothing happens. The interface is that slightly darker, not ready mode. I gave up.

So, I thought I would try it again right now.

It took fifty five seconds to start up, load the default Abandoned Lunatic Asylum soundset, and play it. it takes thirty seconds when I switch between sound sets to be able to play them. That is unacceptable.

After switching between five sets and waiting thirty seconds, now it switches in about three to five seconds. But at any point after me using it and having something on for a while, it might switch back to taking thirty seconds before it is ready to play again.

Okay, while typing this, I switched between a few sound sets and it was fine. Then I scrolled down and selected a new soundset. A minute later, I still couldn’t play anything. I can switch back and forth between soundsets but I can’t change anything. It’s still playing what it was before. (Which I don’t know what that is because there is no Now Playing or any way to go to the playing set.)

Now, three minutes later of waiting, and syrinscape has gone to Not Responding. I’m pretty sure that’s what happened on game night and so I didn’t go back to it. Okay, thirty seconds of that and it’s responding but I still can’t play anything. I can once again pick another soundset but I can not play any of the new sound sets I pick.

Oh, it came back after forty seconds of waiting, after switching back and forth between sound sets. But now any time I switch to a new sound set? It again takes more than a minute for me to be able to play that soundset.

If you create a version that makes logs, I will gladly run it and send you the logs. My guess, from what I’m seeing, is that it loads the soundsets being displayed, maybe up and down a screen’s worth, but when I scroll past those it has loaded, it fails.

As I have said, I want to find a reason to go back to my super syrin subscription but with performance issues like what I am seeing, I can’t justify it.

edg

Hi,

Sooooo, that is NOT expected, tested, or widely reported behaviour for the current version of the app. :open_mouth:

Which I suppose that means we are looking for something perculiar about your particular system/setup. Unfortunately PCs are widely varying in their specs and operating system setups.

Buuuuuuuuut my guess would be first to look at:

1. operating system up to date
  2. using the latest version of the app
  3. update your graphics card drivers (a likely one)
  4. clear the appdata cache (you can make a copy to quickly restore if you like)
  5. thorough virus check
  6. look at cpu usage and memory usage
  7. look at audio acceleration settings
  8. starting to run out of things to think

Might be best to do feedback and help on the support email rather than on these forums, since we are not talking a widespread bug effecting many users, but helping with the particulars of your system (so we can share logs etc).

NOTE: there ARE crash logs. I thiiiiiink they get stored in the program directory. Can you see those?

QUESTION: do you get the same strange performance out of the Online Player?

You can use that player for local play (without a sub). Your owned content shows up just like in the Offline Players. Then you’ll be able to try out the search beta too! Give that a try and let us know on support at syrinscape dot com how you go.

We’ll get you sorted. :robot: :hammer: :pizza: :japanese_goblin:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yep, Win10 is up to date.
  2. I’m on 1.4.11-p9.
  3. Yep, graphic drivers updated.
  4. Okay, done. However a few points on this one. I run a command you gave me that allows me to have data on another drive. I have five physical drives, six logical drives, so I assume you mean C? However, the install is on one drive and data files are on another. Not sure how this might change your advice on this one.
  5. Runs nightly.
  6. I have to run something like Minecraft to push my 64G and that’s with all mods. My CPU rarely runs more than 20%.
  7. Searched for this and find nothing.

I did look under the install directory and library directory and didn’t find any logs. As I’m running it now, I see nothing new for the past month?

I get okay performance from the online player but don’t like that I need a web page open and something running to use it. It’s not my preference.

Thanks.

edg

Okay, loaded Syrinscape up again. Ten minutes later, I still couldn’t play anything. I could search and use the tabs but switching only showed the buttons and never played them. I watched it for five more minutes and finally at the end of that time, it could play things. Terrible performance.

One of the devs suggests:
“I would guess it’s because he’s doing the linking to a (probably slow spinning) external disk”

Have you tried Syrinscape with it’s Cache on a normal internal or SSD system disk?

Sorry we haven’t been able to find a fix for you. This is just not something we have been able to reproduce OR are seeing reported from anyone else.

Interesting on the idea. I don’t have any external drives. The data is stored on an internal 7200 RPM drive mainly because my main SSD drive is tiny and I don’t have the room for the data files.

I’m at the point where the fantasy player is unusable. It takes two to four minutes to load up. With All Soundsets, if I have to scroll more than two screens to find something, it might be ready right away or it might take minutes to be ready to play. If I have searched, it’s a crapshoot if they are ready to play or will take time, even if the results are next to each other in the list.

I’m really bummed because it’s just dead and unusable for me. :frowning:

Yeah, looks like your device just doesn’t like the Fantasy Player.

You’re got two options, I reckon,

• use the Fantasy Player on a different PC, or a Tablet, or a phone.
  • use the Online Player.