Players not able to play Syrinscape sounds in Foundry VTT

I hope I’m just missing something really basic here. I realize this is 50% Foundry VTT and 50% Syrinscape question. I’m posting the same question in the Foundry VTT forums as well.

I’ve created an extensive list of macros in my Foundry VTT tabletop that play certain sounds/music from my Syrinscape library.

A simple Foundry VTT macro looks like: game.syrinscape.playElement(#######)

They all work perfectly for me when I am logged into my Foundry VTT as the GM. When my players login to my Foundry VTT they can all hear the Syrinscape music and sound effects that I’ve setup for them.

My problem: When a players execute a macro designed to play a sound from Syrinscape it does not play. If I (The GM) execute that same macro on behalf of my player then it works and everyone can hear it.

Hoping someone has a solution for me. I’ve spent weeks setting up all of these macros.

Thanks in advance.

A good resource - even on Foundry VTT I needed my players to have this.
How to setup the Syrinscape Online Player for remote play

Have the players put in the auth token into Syrincontrol settings under module settings?

Did your players need the online player also?

We had done this prior to the last change. Maybe we don’t need it anymore

Thanks for the responses everyone. I don’t think I did a great job explaining what’s going on.

Everything works exactly as it should. I’ve been using Syrinscape and FoundryVTT for a long time. If I (the DM) initiate a Syrinscape sound effect or play some music, all of my players can hear it. It is awesome.

This unfortunately is a one-way-street.

I have created 100’s of Macros that play Syrinscape sounds effects (mostly for spells) . When I (The DM) execute these macros they work great. For example I have created a macro that plays the “Detect Evil and Good” sound effect in Syrinscape. As long as I (The DM) execute the macro it works just fine. I have embedded this macro in the spell details page for “Detect Evil and Good”. When I (The DM) click on that spell it plays the Syrinscape sound effect everytime as it should. When one of my players select this same spell from their character sheet it does not play the sound.

I need my players to be able to initiate the macros that will then play the Syrinscape sound effects for their spells. It makes no sense to expect the DM to manually execute a spell sound effect every time a player casts a spell.

This is extremely disappointing and I hope I’m overlooking something obvious or there’s a fix/workaround for this. In the meantime I will try using the basic sound effects (ugh) that come with FoundryVTT or the ones that I have imported an MP3 file for. This defeats 50% of the reason I have a paid Syrinscape subscription.

1 Like

Hi @dgregory, I am pretty sure there is no reason at all on the Syrinsape API end why you shouldn’t be able to trigger sounds. Basically the API recieves a call (from anywhere), and the call is directed to the correct game by virtue of the DM’s ‘token’.

Are you using a Foundry extension to make these calls or the macros themselves are simply calling our API?

Wanna give us an example of what is being sent so we can check the format is correct (though disguise your token in public (obviously).

Otherwise if it IS an extension, then approach the extension builder?

We can get this sorted, I am sure! :slight_smile:

I am wondering if it has to do with the auth token. For instance if I or another GM joined your game as a player if we used one of your macros it would work because we have our auth token inputted into the module settings for SyrinControl.
Two ways to check this; first you can invite someone who has syrincontrol set up in their game to your game to test it out using their auth token, or second you have your players find out if they can add your auth token in their settings. Are you running via the cloud or self hosting?

Edit: Also I realized make sure you go into user permissions and ensure that players are able to run script macros