No audio from syrinscape.com/online?

So, my group plays in person and I usually use Spotify through a bluetooth speaker for music, but just learned of this tool! The fantasy player app on the android play store is, frankly, pretty poor and virtually un-usable with a touchscreen (can’t scroll without accidentally clicking something, super laggy and slow even on a pixel 6 pro). The new web interface is perfect on my galaxy tablet/desktop, except no audio comes out?! I can connect a phone and so long as the phone remains open and I don’t use it for ANYTHING ELSE the audio plays through fine. Except I don’t use a laptop during my in person games, so I’d have to have two devices, one to control the audio and one to connect to my bluetooth speaker that I absolutely can’t touch to use for anything else or the audio will stop playing, since I can’t tab out to change the audio without minimizing the player app.

Can someone please tell me I’m doing this wrong? Surely this isn’t working as intended?

Hey @jtsmith1287,

Syrinscape uses the super powerful Unity engine for its 3D surround audio. Think of it more as a fully fledged sequencer (like Garage Band = stops in the background) than a music player playing a single mp3! Often Syrinscape is playing back 20 or more samples simultaneously, each with dynamic positioning, reverb and even doppler effect. Performance and responsiveness become a BIG issue when processes go to low power mode, and there’s issues with keeping Unity running and not destroying the rest of a device’s system, thus Unity (and hence Syrinscape) pauses atm. So yes, devoting a device to playback is a good solution… Just make sure you keep the screen brightness low-ish so as not to drain your battery.

And also note: most tablets can do multi-tasking now = see this vid of my iPad:

Android could do this before iOS
Works for you?

ALSO I’m making sure I point people at this video at the moment, 'cause I reckon there is lots of good info here, especially for people who haven’t used Syrinscape Online a whole lot yet:
And definitely this one too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGgtuJsaMwQ
(Though this video is missing a mention of the brand new shiny search in the Master UI that makes things even easier = you can opt into switching that on in the your profile page on the website)

And ask more questions here too, of course! :slight_smile:

Hi there, I just want to make sure you’re aware that the Online Player won’t do anything by itself. Make sure you’re following all of the steps on syrinscape.com/online

It sounds to me like you may have the Online Player open but as the website states “Go to the Master Interface (https://syrinscape.com/online/master/) to play with the free content and any SoundSets you own.” so if you haven’t done that bit and activated some sounds there in the Master Interface, you won’t get any sound out of the Online Player by itself.

I’m sorry to hear you don’t like the Offline Fantasy Player. I personally think its really lovely but everyone has their preferences. I hope you find a way to enjoy the Online Player instead.

Feel free to ask for help and tips and check out the tutorials on YouTube.

@benjamin Hey there! Thanks for all the info. I got everything working as intended. Now that I’ve spent a couple hours messing around with everything I realized I prefer the offline player situation better.

So here’s what’s really holding me up. Scrolling through the lists in the offline player also click the buttons. This is on multiple devices (3) now that do this.

I use Unity quite a bit and I believe this solution likely applies to what is going on. https://answers.unity.com/questions/1457266/need-to-prevent-click-triggered-when-scrolling.html. I could be doing that armchair quarterback thing right now, but the issue of clicking while scrolling is the singular issue really keeping me from loving this software. If I try to scroll moods I have to either perfectly touch the scroll bar (hard on a phone with a finger) or I end up changing the mood when I scroll. And for the sounds it’s the same thing, except I end up changing the volume of this as I’m trying to scroll.

This is strange because it is theoretically something we fixed a while ago. What device ar eyou using? Are you using the latest version? (questions like that). :-/