New user - setup on Android tablet

Hello,

I’m a DM running Ghosts of Saltmarsh entirely on my Android tablet (Galaxy Tab S7), which means at the table I’m constantly flipping between apps due to limited screen space - combat manager, GoS PDF, browser to look up various things, etc.

I would love to add Syrinscape to the mix, playing background sounds while I manage other parts of the game. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I use the downloaded app, or the web player? What are the differences between the two?

2. With everything running on my tablet, I will need to put Syrinscape in the background when I do other things. I’ve read that on Android Syrinscape struggles to play audio uninterrupted while in the background. Has this issue been addressed? If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks very much for your help,
Brian M

Welcome to Syrinscape! :grin:

The Web Player is our newer app and designed for both online and offline play. It has a lot of extra features over the Fantasy app, including enhanced search, customization of SoundSets etc. It can run on some tablets, but is especially built for PC and Mac.

Our older Fantasy Player, was designed for mobile devices as well as PC and mac, however mobile devices are not generally designed for background play, which is why Syrinscape wont run in the Background. When you move an app to the background the device throttles the amount of resources available to apps, which means that the device then struggles to play Syrinscape. Rather than just one music track, Syrinscape is often playing 20+ tracks at once and applying all of the effects to create that dynamic environment

If your device is capable of split screen, then you can still keep Syrinscape running in the foreground and still use a browser on the other half of the screen.

Thanks so much for the response Steve.

I will install Fantasy Player on my tablet and play around with split screen and see how it goes. If I can make it work I’ll be picking up some of the GoS content.

Cheers,
Brian

1 Like