Need help with picking up sound tracks

Hi all,
I just bought the SuperSyrin subscription, and I want to use it in my games. I GM two games, one is Curse of Strahd, and I see there are SoundSets ready for the campaign, neat. Another campaign is Storm King’s Thunder, and sadly I was unable to find any SoundSets. I am still pretty overwhelmed by the library, so I might need some help setting up my Sunday game.

I am looking for nice tracks for a large city, some shopping, talking and chilling. (They are returning to Silverymoon finishing quest, getting a reward, good stuff).

After that, they will most likely go to Evermoors, which are obviously moors filled with fog, ruins of long-forgotten cities etc. There they will find a tomb in an impressive mountain range that is occupied by the undead. They are going to find an artefact from Raven Queen.

If they skip this, they might do so overland travel with a couple of horses and cart heading to Hill Giant encampment where lives gluttonous hill giant chieftain.

Any help with the tracks would be appreciated.

Hi there! Let’s see what I can do…

Large City - Big City (Magnimar) has a lot of the sounds you’re looking for, including streets and a market. Friendly Tavern is good for when they put up their feet (and there’s a Tavern Keep set for the bartender). The Local Heroes set has some shops and whatnot, and the Creepy Shopkeeper does too, plus some dialogue buttons.

For Evermoors - Elements - Horror is a good set, which includes several mist/fog elements for general creepindess/eerieness (and can be adjusted for minimal to maximal creep). Add in a little Elements - Wind for the wind through the moors, and perhaps a little bit of birds or vegetation from Farmland. For the crumbling ruins, kick up the Elements - Horror, kill the wind and birds (or switch the wind to ominous wind) and there is a great “crumbling buildings” element in Death House I that would suit for old ruins.

For the mountains, there is a Mountain Pass set for traveling and whatnot. For the tomb, there are several sets that could suit: Catacombs of Wrath has both dungeon and undead, or you could use Dungeon Depths and Undead Battle (or Zombie, Wraith, or Devourer Battle), or there’s a Dungeons set from the Curse of Strahd adventure that is also good. For the artifact, you could use Shimmering Veils, or personally I like the Preserver Artifacts from the Sci-Fi player, which has interesting “awe” elements from anything from good things to eerie things.

Overland Travel - Wagon Journey is your best bet there. For the hill giant encampment, Into the Valley (the mood In the Valley) is a good one. For the gluttonous hill giant chieftain, use a some of the same sounds as In the Valley, the giant grunts and growls, hill giants, crackle (of flames). Then add some sounds from Friendly Tavern (glasses and whatnot) or if you have the Supersyrin, there is a community set called “Steadying of the Hill Giant Chief - Mansion” which has some giant eating/feasting whatnot. If you want to add some… color, try the Gurgles & Gas set, for chewing, burping, farting, etc.

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Great! I tried to put something together on my own, but these tips are much better! I do have supersyrin, so that I will use the community set. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Once again @HECook SLAM DUNKS it! :pizza: :beer:

Also, hi @matzase, THANKS for your support as a sub! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: no worries, I used it in two games already, and I am satisfied :slight_smile: the only issue with the online player is that I have over 200ms latency, which can be seen when I try to change music.

The latency is not that much of a problem. If you start a mood for the first time it has to load all the sound data to your computer, which can cause an initial delay. :frowning:
If you have the chance just trigger the moods you are using in your game prep - this way the files are already downloaded and you won’t experience a big delay anymore. Fyi - Syrinscape is not streaming the audio data when using it. It stores the files temporarily on your device. This way Syrinscape Online still runs on all the connected devies, even if the connection experiences a glitch or momentary slowdown. :slight_smile:

That is a 5th of a second (not siginificant in the playback of a soundtrack)… as @new_vision you’re possibly experiencing a pause on FIRST playback as the App caches the needed samples(?)

Two things for this:

1. you can silently trigger some moods you need, by turning everyone’s volume down and working through some of the content you are going to use ‘tonight’.
  2. one of things we plan to do for the future is give DMs a way of selecting SoundSets for the apps to actively Cache in advance of playback. (this is not at the top of the list yet, but it is there).

Cheerz for the info :slight_smile:
It most likely is connected with the loading. When I try to play one shot of a spell, we need to wait a little bit to start playing. With moods, the small delay is negligible as no one notices it.