Modern-day Car Chase or Road Trip

So you now have a horse/horse & cart journey soundset, which is pretty awesome. However, there have been a good number of instances when I was running a modern day game and had a severe lack of automotive sound effects. What is needed is a soundset for car chases or car trips. Engine hum/roar, gear shifts, tire squeal, crunch of collisions, scraping of steel against steel, cars zooming past, or just a mild consistent engine sound perhaps with occasional passing cars, for those times when there is a road-trip planning session. Totally missed that during my Feng Shui 2 game, had some awesome car chases accompanied by lame cobbled-together attempts using ambient road sounds.

2 Likes

Sounds from a car chase (squealing tires or plinking dust/gravel, collision crunches, etc.) would also be awesome for a Mad Max-style car carnage scene! :smiley: In short, seconded!

2 Likes

So there will be a car/traffic set coming out this year for the Sci-Fi player (yay!) which I’m super-stoked about. I had an inquiry though - I have an adventure that starts with a battle on a commercial airplane. Is the upcoming Skyjack or Silver Scream sets coming in May have plane sounds? Skyjack sounds like it, but hey, I’ve been wrong before! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would be cool, yes.

1 Like

Yeah, the Car Chase is going to be amazing.

This is what I just sent @gil yesterday:

1. Cars (road) 1920s AND 2017s
  2. Cars (sky) Pulp Sci-fi Vehicles AND Super-future Speeders

For each of the two time periods, each SoundSet will have:

• Stuck in traffic (very slow, with honking outside, in the big city)
  • Under the speed limit (travelling normally with normal engine and gear sounds)
  • Speeding (racing to get somewhere fast)
  • Chase (crazy speed with screeching tyres etc)
  • Chase with guns blazing (as above but with the windows down and guns blazing)

All these MOODs will be the sound from INSIDE the vehicle. i.e. for role-playing conversations inside a car and/or trips to places OR during chases.

How does that all sound?!

So SoundSet 1) will looklike this:

SOUNDSET Cars (road)
MOOD Stuck in traffic
MOOD Under the speed limit
MOOD Speeding
MOOD Chase
MOOD Guns blazing
MOOD Stuck in traffic
MOOD Under the speed limit
MOOD Speeding
MOOD Chase
MOOD Guns blazing
(with the 1st 5 MOODs sounding 1920 and the 2nd 5 MOODs sounding 2017s)

Add your own thoughts, corrections, editions everyone else?! :slight_smile:

Actually, that does sound pretty amazing. Sounds like you have it mostly covered. Maybe an option to swap out guns for spells, or to include both, for things like Feng Shui and Shadowrun where you have mages in your modern? Two great tastes that taste great together.

1 Like

That Car Chase is sounding pretty cool! One possible suggestion, perhaps a “Bystander” element, if the PCs come by a drag race (sort of Fast and Furious-style) or are on foot when the action starts (“Hey, was that the notorious John Dillinger? Mount up boys, let’s go catch us a crook!”)

2 Likes

Yeah, @gil, some sounds of people shouting out as the cars wizz by would be cool.

Even just:
“Hey!” “Watch out” “Slow down you fool!”