Making Local Backups

I am using the fantasy player on both a Windows and a Linux machine, and I want to make backups of the sound sets I have downloaded, for when I replace these machines. I’d rather do a simple copy from the backup location than go through downloading the sound sets again.

In Windows, I found “C:\Users\me\AppData\LocalLow\Syrinscape\Syrinscape Fantasy Player”, and in Linux, I found “/home/me/.config/unity3d/Syrinscape/Syrinscape Fantasy Player”. The folder structure under these two folders are identical between Windows and Linux.

If I copy these folders to a backup location, would it be sufficient to later copy this backup to a new installation to recreate my current setup? Or does Syrinscape look in other locations for some other data it needs to use the data in these folders?

Are the Linux and Windows folders interchangeable? Could I copy the Windows Syrinscape folders to a new Linux install, and then that Linux install should be able to play all of the sound sets I downloaded in Windows?

Thank you.

1 Like

I think, yes.

Are the Linux and Windows folders interchangeable? Could I copy the Windows Syrinscape folders to a new Linux install, and then that Linux install should be able to play all of the sound sets I downloaded in Windows?

Not so sure about this one.

You might perhaps experiment by changing the name of the Linux Cache right now, copying the Cache from the Windows machine and seeing if it works… with the ‘backup’ that you haven’t actually deleted the old Linux Cache.

On a side thought: any particular reason you are still using the older Offline Players, there are some pretty heavy advantages to the Web Player (and if performance is an issue, the Online Player as a backup) = MUCH better search https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnR5nS1GhA AND no need to preinstall content (samples are downloaded and Cached as needed automatically.

Either way, let us know how you go! :slight_smile: Good hunting!