Lost Mines of Phandelver Sound Sets

A few friends and myself are hoping to start an Actual Play D&D podcast soon and we plan on using Syrinscape for our audio! We plan to start with Lost Mines of Phandelver and I would like some help with getting the Sound just right!

The plan is ultimately to run through as much of the official content as possible (Hoard of the Dragon Queen, Rise of Tiamat, Storm Kings Thunder, etc.) so I will be coming back for help with those eventually. Just wanted to start working on our first season!

SPOILERS FOR THE ADVENTURE BELOW

The First Chapter of the Adventure begins with an overland wagon trip and a Goblin ambush, which is easy enough. After that the players enter a cave the Goblins are using for a lair. There is a stream running through the cave and rock dam the Goblins can break to cause a large rush of water to push the characters out of the cave. Monsters you encounter in the cave include Goblins, Wolves and a Bugbear.

The Second Chapter deals with a frontier town that is being resettled. Standard Town and Tavern stuff, but also includes a basement hideout with bandits the Players may explore. Players can encounter Skeletons, a Nothic, more Goblins and Bugbears, the human bandits and a Wizard with his rat familiar in his sort of alchemic lab.

The Third Chapter has the characters infiltrating an old abandoned castle that has been occupied by Goblins, a Hobgoblin and his pet Grick and Wolves, a Doppleganger and a trapped Owlbear.

The Final Chapter sees the players enter a lost mine called Wave Echo Cave (named because it has an underground lake that causes the reverberating sound of crashing waves throughout the caves!). There the players can encounter a Drow Wizard, Spiders, Flame Skulls, a Wraith, more Skeletons, Stirges, an Ochre Jelly, Ghouls, Bugbears, a Spectator, and a Magical Forge!

There are also a series of Side Quests that include: a trip into a Sirens Lair in a spooky forest, fighting Orcs and an Ogre in a cliff side cave, dealing with a Red Wizard and his zombies, and exploring a Blight infested abandoned town ruled by a young Green Dragon.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

We can do that!

Chapter 1
There is a Wagon Journey soundset, and a Goblin Battle one too, though depending on the makeup of your wagon party, you may need to adjust the sounds (the Goblin Battle has women and children screaming). For the cave you can use In The Cave’s “Exploring the Cave”, Dungeon Depths, or Flooded Cavern. For the rock dam, you can use the tumbling pebbles one-shot from Mountain Pass, and then the flooding/dam elements from Black Magga Battle for the rush of floodwater.

Chapter 2
Brindle Town and Friendly Tavern will do for the frontier town (with some sounds from perhaps Farmland, Mountain Pass, or Elven Vale Day to represent the closer press of nature, depending on the geography in question and how big the place is). The basement hideout can be represented by The Waspnest’s “Wasp Nest Dry Cellar” to start. For skeletons, use the Zombie Battle and crank up the “skeleton bones”/“scratching bones” sounds. The Nothic can be represented by the Grioth Battle with the wing sounds turned off (and maybe some claw scratch one-shots from Dragon Battle) with the rotting gaze by be done with Ezran-Male Wizard’s “bleeding” one-shot.

For Goblins we have the Goblin Battle, Bugbears the Bugbear Battle, and for humans we have In the Cave’s Goroc’s Gang. For the alchemical lab, use the Mad Scientist’s Laboratory for the background, with Ezran-Male Wizard or Board Game Player’s Spellcaster-Sorcerer for the wizard. Giant Rat Battle can give you some familiar sounds, if needed.

Chapter 3
The old castle can be Dungeon Depths, with Goblin Battle for the goblins (with the extra town sounds in that one turned off). The hobgoblin can be done with Bugbear Battle. The wolves - I’d recommend the Thrushmoor set, the “Druid Battle” mood. Turn off the “witch combat voicings” and “fire” elements, and you have lots of angry-sounding wolves ready to go. The grick can be represented by the Flying Fiend, just turn off the wings element (the wing swoops sound like flailing tentacles, so keep those). The owlbear can be represented by the Tiger Battle with the jungle sounds turned off. The Doppelganger can be just any humanoid, presumably, but if you want to get into shape-shifting shenanigans, break out the “shapeshift” one-shot from Sci-Fi Player’s Grue Invasion,

Final Chapter
The cave can be done with Flooded Cavern or Dungeon Depths, with the waves element from Stony Beach for the echoing lake. For the wizard, Ezran-Male Wizard or Board Game Player’s Spellcaster-Sorcerer. There’s a spider battle in Tiller’s Marsh called Spider! Flame skulls - use Fire Elemental and throw in some undead growls/screams from Zombie/Undead/Ghoul Battle. For the wraith, Haunted Heart, the Myriana Attacks mood. Skeletons as above, Ghouls use Ghoul Battle, stirges use Flying Fiend Battle with some insect sounds from Swamp. Ochre Jelly - Ooze Battle, Bugbears - Bugbear Battle.

The Spectator - use the spell sounds from Ezran - Male Wizard, with some bite sounds from Grimple Battle. The Magical Forge can be done with the Glassworks set, the Furnace Room mood, with the “glass breaking in the distance” element turned off. Add some of the magical resonance elements from Shimmering Veils or Disjunction Chamber.

Side Quests
Spooky Forest, use Witchwood, and In the Lair of the Siren for the siren, of course. The cliffside cave can be done with Dungeon Depths with tumbling rocks and wind from Mountain Pass (for the outer parts), with Ogre Battle and Bugbear Battle for the foes. The Red Wizard can be done with Board Game Player’s Spellcaster-Sorcerer, with Zombie Battle for his minions.

For the abandoned town, we’re going to pull from a couple soundsets. From Angel in the Tower, use the “precarious steps” mood. And from Thistletop, the “creaking stockade” element. Some insects from Swamp. From Deserted Desert House, the “on the creaky porch” mood elements. (Maybe some crow sounds too from the same set, if you’re feeling it.) And then the Green Dragon set for when the master shows up!

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I just realized I messed up and said it was a Siren but they actually encounter a Banshee! Other than that this is perfect!

Banshee? Get thee hence to the Voornith Battle soundset for its eerie wail, or the shattering shriek in Flying Fiend Battle. :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks a ton!

Guys, just wanted to thank you for this as well. Just started using Syrinscape tonight (and the guys loved it), but didn’t realize there were recommendations for modules until just now. Great stuff!!

You want it, we got it! Give me the details on your module in question, and we can put together a collective soundset for any module! :smiley:

1 Like

I can find references to “Tiller’s Marsh” when I google it, but I can’t seem to find it in Syrinscape. I see a release by Legendary Games, but I can’t find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Spider! sounds like it would be a cool sound to have. Thanks again.

Tiller’s Marsh is part of a set called “Bandit’s Cave”, which has three subsets, Corbin Village, Tiller’s Marsh, and In The Cave.

I have a link to the campaign I made for it, maybe that will let you see it: https://syrinscape.com/account/campaigns/6068-42fad60a46/

I can see the Campaign and the three subsets and so I imported it with the handy button. When I go to my accounts, I see the Bandit’s Cave campaign, but when I click on it it’s empty. Strange, because I can see the graphics of the three soundsets in your shared link (so I know they aren’t a figment of my imagination), but they are otherwise not accessible.

Thanks for trying.

Hi Both, the Bandits Cave campaign is actually a piece of great Community Content created by the fantastic Paris Crenshaw, Author of the Bandits Cave and lead Developer of Legendary Beginnings line of Legendary Games so it’s only available to Supersyrin users. Thats why you can see it on HECook’s list but can’t access it yourself I’m afraid @gkennedy3. Supersyrin supscription grants you access to both the Fantasy and Sci-fi catalog as well as the Syrinscape Soundset Creator and all of the great Community Content that’s been released.

Take a look here to see some of the content thats been released so far https://syrinscape.com/about-syrinscape/community-content/