Linux Online Player doesn't seem to run

I’m a bit disappointed: there seems to be absolutely no documentation for this at all. I was hoping to get this up and running over the holidays, but there seems to be very little support or documentation available.

I have un-tarred, and run what seems to be the obvious binary, but I just get a flash of the outline of the player, and nothing; nothing running in the linux task manager, no exit message, no logs.

Can anyone help?

Slight lie: I do get the following on the command line:

Found Path: /path/to/player
Loading in single instance mode

What distribution are you on? For Arch/Manjaro you can easily install through the AUR

Thanks for the reply, Jack.

I don’t think using the .aur install method actually addresses the problem of not having any documentation or logging, though: it’s not the officially supported way of installing linux.

Also, it didn’t work :stuck_out_tongue: - I tried various flavours of ubuntu (with the official linux player), as well as archlinux, with no luck.

I suspect the issue has something to do with running unity player on linux in a virtual machine (video drivers, 3d acceleration, or the like), but since there are no documented dependencies, I had to give up after wasting three precious days of holiday time trying to get the thing running.

As I say, I’m pretty disappointed. I really hope that syrinscape step up with some decent documentation - c’mon guys, make a bad thing good!

@yamahito thanks for reporting your trouble with the Online Player for Linux.

I have just tested the Online Player for Linux downloaded from https://syrinscape.com/online/ in an Ubuntu 20.04.03 Desktop VM freshly installed in VMware Fusion on macOS.

I was able to extract the archive to my desktop and run the player from there. I did have one issue where once linked, it would not allow me to Activate This Device. I quit and re-launched the app and then I was able to activate the device.

I am able to control it via the master interface and sound, background art, and the audio visualisation is working.

You might want to take a look at the Unity player log for more clues. On Linux it can be found at:

~/.config/unity3d/Syrinscape/Syrinscape Online Player/Player.log

On macOS it is:

~/Library/Logs/Syrinscape/Syrinscape Online Player/Player.log

On Windows it is:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Syrinscape\Syrinscape Online Player\Player.log

I believe this file will be rotated on every launch of the player. You can DM me the content of this file and I’ll take a look.