Linux--any sucess in getting Syrin to work?

Hey folks,

I am about to switch all of my systems to Linux alone. Has anyone had success getting Syrinscape to run on Ubuntu or Mint? Has WINE worked for you? What problems (if any) have you encountered and how did you get around them.

I’ll be very interested to hear of people’s success or otherwise with this?!

From a user:

This is good to see. I’ll try and get more details and instructions for everyone.

Ok, so

I was able to get the sci-fi, fantasy, and boardgame players all to work on Ubuntu LTS through wine. Actually the whole installation process was relatively painless. Soundsets and campaigns download correctly and the sounds play. The “one shots” both in the general category in the bottom right corner and the ones specific to each soundset play, but they are missing the writing that indicates what they are named.

However, the soundset creator does not work. It seemed to install correctly, but when I try to launch it I get Fatal Error “manage returned -1”

anyone have thoughts on this?

Hi. i just installed the creator in ubuntu 16.04 and started it. it seems that que autostart of the player doesnt work in linux, so you need to start the service manually. to do this, do a right click in the syrin icon in the tray and select “open player” and “open interface”.

i’m sorry about my english.

1 Like

Send me a PM if you need help with the setup in linux!

1 Like

@ramiroandrescruz you are amazing! Thank you for posting that up :smile:

Now I just need to get the writing to appear on the one-shots and It’ll be perfect! Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Hi there,

i also have this problem starting the creator under Linux (Lubuntu).
I am using a different desktop enviroment (LXDE) so I do not have the tray that you are using. Do you know wich file is connected to “open interface”? I found the player.exe and I am able to start it without problems with wine, but I cannot figure out wich is the right one for the interface.

Best regards

1 Like

For the interface, just navigate to:
http://127.0.0.1:51704/#/login
in any browser.

Works for you?

Hi,

it does not work when I start player.exe and navigate to the adress - it just tells me that the site cannot be found.

But somehow it works (in my oppinion randomly), when I try to start the “Syrinscape SoundSet Creator.exe”. Sometimes it gives the error message, sometimes it works. When I find out which regularity is underlying I will tell.

Best regards

Some infos…

There are three components to the Creator.

The player = made with unity that plays the sounds
The interface = HTML5 hosted in any browser
The server = django (which is the bit not being found sometimes)

Thanks for posting that you got it going. Did you have to install anything else? All I am getting is a black screen on launch with no tray icon. I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and you help would be much appreciated!

1 Like

Nope, just start the program. i had some issues with the playing of the sounds, some are lagging. i guess that the best option still is installing it in windows or in a VM. the player works well in ubuntu 16.04

1 Like

im really sorry about not answering you before. i had a couple of personal issues and forgot about the email updating me about this post. i read that you make it work already… so have fun with the creator!

2 Likes

Thanks for helping each other out here, everybody! :pizza:

I seem to have managed to get it going. I added the latest stable Wine repo, updated, and installed Syrinscape. After first launch Wine will ask to install missing components and then everything seemed to work fine.

The only bug I found was the text from the search box wasn’t showing although the results worked. Oh, also have been able to get third party intergration working.

Link below for Wine 3.0 instructions

2 Likes

Great, thanks for sharing that @guntherkraft :smile:

1 Like