Issues hearing Syrinscape sounds in Fantasy Grounds Unity

I acquired a Syrinscape Super Syrin subscription about a week ago to integrate with my D&D games that I support using Fantasy Grounds Unity (FGU). However, I’ve had no luck whatsoever in getting sound piped correctly to my players during three different gaming sessions.

I’ve watched all the Syrinscape videos for setting up my account and setting up the software for gaming, read through the FGU Atlassian support site (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2078932993/Using+Sound+Links) watched the Fantasy Grounds Unity 4.4 Feature Update video a few times (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoXe-sc2Uws), checked out various other explanatory videos, but I still cannot figure out what either I or my players are doing incorrectly.

What’s happening for me is the following:

I go through the setup described in the FGU support site documents and through online videos to use Syrinscape with FGU (Eg, setting up the authorization key), then generate the connection to Syrinscape through the FGU settings options, and then invite my players to join Syrinscape. I also have two Sound Link Packs activated for my campaign (PHB and MM). However, none of my players can hear any of the sounds that should come up automatically through the sound link packs nor any sounds that I try to play in Syrinscape. (We are currently playing the Storm King’s Thunder campaign and many of the monsters in the campaign do have associated sounds in the Sound Links Packs).

I’ve spent a good deal of time trying to get this figured out, and many of my more experience players, who know I’m not a technophile, wonder if it’s worth all my effort.

That said, I’m not quite ready to cancel my Syrinscape account. Could I please get some answers to the following questions:

1. Do the folks playing PCs in my game also need to have their own free Syrinscape accounts to hear Syrinscape sounds piped into FGU?
  2. When I want to play Syrinscape sounds, am I managing what is being played through FGU options/controls, or through Syrinscape options/controls?
  3. Is there a location where I can find a checklist of each step I need to follow to first set up Syrinscape, and then to do the same in FGU? (I’m a previous military aviator and prefer to have both a checklist and video support)
  4. Where can I go to find suggestions on what to do when my players aren’t hearing the Syrinscape sounds?

The sounds do not play through Fantasy Grounds, they play through the Syrinscape app. The SoundLinks are there to allow you to trigger the sounds through FGU to play in Syrinscape.

So to hear the sounds the Host needs a Syrinscape account and either a subscription or to have purchased the sounds being used. Your players also need to have Syrinscape open, but they do not need an account. Then any sounds that you trigger in FGU and you have access to will play to any connected device.

Within FGU, once linked you should simply click invite. You then click the first link that appears in chat to open the Master interface and your players then click the link that appears in their chat to open the player. You can then leave those pages open in the background and play your game entirely in Fantasy Grounds

1 Like

@bbpalmer58 I’ll add a couple of thoughts. I’ve used Syrinscape and Fantasy Grounds together for several years, and it’s an integral part of my game.

I’ve had better luck generating the players’ Syrinscape link from the Syrinscape website and emailing that to my players. The FG chat link, at least initially, wasn’t working consistently.

In every session, the first time I activate a link, I have to bring my Chrome browser to the front before it starts to play. After that, everything works as expected. I’m on a Mac, so your experience may differ.

Have a look at mattekure’s “Syrinscape Sound Chat Triggers” and “Syrinscape Sound Links” on the Fantasy Ground Forge. Working with your Syrinscape subscription, mattekure’s extension and module analyzes the FG chat box and autoplays sword clashes, death screams, spell sounds, etc. And you can create your own triggers- my players all have Baldur’s Gate II character voices.

Good luck. Syrinscape and Fantasy Grounds together are a powerful experience.

Go through the steps highlighted in this post in the FG forums: Syrinscape integration, only if I share my initial link can everyone else hear it. (fantasygrounds.com)

1 Like

Thanks @martinblake1415, this is a super helpful post and guide from FG’s Trenloe :grin: