Irradiated Wasteland suggestion

Thinking of running a Fallout-esque RPG and I thought it would be cool to have and irradiated wasteland soundset.

At the least, it should have geiger counter tracks for low, medium and high levels of radiation.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Ooo, neat! Who doesn’t like a bunch of mutated horrors running about in the ruins of the world? :smiley:

In the interim, there are some soundsets that could be combined to work as a temporary Wasteland set. Desert Planet, Toxic Spirit, Evil Android, and Giant Steampunk Robot make for some great varying ambiance, while the Scanner universal one-shot makes for a good basic Geiger-counter. While there aren’t varying speeds/intensities of the Scanner, you could use some of the other one-shots as low, medium, and high for different levels of radiation danger. Starships’s warning signal, Wormhole’s tachyon scanner, or Alien Laboratory’s plasma cutter, for examples.

Your mutants could be represented by the Fantasy’s Player’s Undead or Ghoul Battles, or the Zombie Apocalypse in the Sci-Fi player. Street Fight, Grue Invasion, Insectoid Hive/Swarm Attack could also be useful. For the various Vaults, Dungeon Depths from the Fantasy Player might be a good base to start, adding in more modern sounds as the type of the Vault dictates.

2 Likes

Some cool ideas! Thanks :smile:

I think perhaps I could throw in some Ogre Battle for some super mutants as well.

Hmmm perhaps its a little too specific? Could do a nuclear soundset. Geiger Counters, Air-raid sirens/klaxons, nuclear explosions (small and large), the whistling of a bomb dropping, gas mask/re-breather sounds. Could be a nuclear air-raid from the ground / a nuclear reactor going critical / and wandering around in the aftermath.

Possibly a bit more versatile?

Too be fair, if you’re close enough to hear the nuclear explosion, it’s probably too late. :open_mouth:

There’s some great potential there - plenty of games have nuclear fallout zones, whether they’re post apocalyptic, or say you’re in a space game and trying to fix your reactor before the resulting radiation kills your crew. Fire off a missile from the Nuclear Submarine set, come ashore for the fallout…

(Just FYI, Desert Planet and Frozen Moon have “spacesuit breaths” /“panic” which work for someone sucking air through a mask.)

haha Yes, yes it would be.

But it would depend on the size I guess, could also be a dirty bomb instead of a nuke or perhaps they just failed to defuse it in time.