House of lament Ambiance

Hello.

This is my first post so i dont know if this was answer already.

I am planning to run a Curse of Stradh campaingn using the House of Lament adventure for level 1 to 3. Can someone recommend good soundset for this adventure ? I plan on running it as written.

Do you recommend using the Death House soundset ?

Thank you.

I don’t happen to have that adventure, but if you could tell me more about what you need (mood, places, encounters, monsters, weather, etc) I can certainly recommend things!

Have we finally found a kink in the armour?! :astonished:

Hee! I usually make up and run my own adventures, so I very rarely buy any pre-written ones. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!! for the official dnd 5e House of lament.

The house of lament is an adventure for lvl 1 to 3 players in the DnD 5e book “Van Ritchen’s guide to Ravenloft”, in it, the players find a heavily haunted manor. When they arrive, they explore the building and eventually conduct sĂ©ances which awaken the sleeping spirits of the house.

The manor as 6 stories : first floor, second floor, third floor, basement, widow’s walk and beneath the house. There are 31 different rooms separated into 3 categories : castle ruins (stone tower and basement), manor (old, made of wood, Victorian style) and beneath the house (natural rock cave, hidden, inhabited by evil)

There are 2 stages : sleeping and awaken. During the sleeping phase, the spirits interact with the player in a creeping but harmless way : vision, apparition, manifestation, loud screaming, ect. During the awaken phase, the spirits becaume hostile and the haunting becaume dangerous

Here is a few specific thing that can happen:

1. A confrontation with an ageless nameless evil deep below the manor.
  2. 3 séance, each more dangerous from the last, allow the player to communicate with spirits and awaken the house
  3. A harp being played by ghost
  4. Blood oozing from the wall
  5. A childrens room is protected by magic, 2 childs spirits are trap inside
  6. A storm happen soon as the player arrive (outside, on the porch, inside)

Monsters include : spirits, skeleton, boneless zombies, shadow, shadow demon, peryton, swarm of maggots, a witch, animated toys.

If someone who knows the adventure want to add something feel free to do so. I just started on syrinscape and don’t know what is important in sound design.

I hope this will help you.

Okay! So, yes, Curse of Strahd’s Death House I & II are indeed appropriate. However, so is Into the Mists - Death House, which has a particularly good children’s room/children’s encounter. Both sets have catacombs, which will be great for what you need, and there are undead battles in each, along with creepy chanting, spirits, etc.

CoS’s Death House has two tracks, Darkelf Harpist and Witchwood Harp, for your harp player.

For the ruins/tower, I like the “tower peak” mood from Descent into Avernus’ Vamthamour Villa, but Curse of Strahd’s Walls of Ravenloft has a “gate tower” mood that’s also good. You can combine some of that with the Storm or Natural Disasters set (the second is in the Sci-Fi player) for your storm of arrival. The “gate tower” mood also has some elements for rain on the roof and whatnot, so good if it’s storming while the players are inside.

For further creep and hauntings, might I recommend Deserted House, Abandoned Lunatic Asylum, and Misgivings House. Misgivings House has some particularly good one-shots for haunts. Misgivings Caves also has great stuff for your cavern fights, including undead, ghosts, and the creepy, zombie-like Skinsaw Man. Deserted House and Abandoned Lunatic Asylum have increasing levels of haunting, which could be useful for the séances

Insectoid Hive or The Lost Star has an element called “the walls are slimy” which would be great for the bleeding walls. Swarm Attack or Insectoid Hive could be good for your maggot swarm, or Hell’s Bright Shadow’s Fair Fortune Livery has a “lemures” mood that nice and gross for that (with some moans and whatnot).

I hope that helps!

1 Like

For a haunted house feeling you could check out the Malevolence adventure for Pathfinder which is all about a horror house and caves beneath it.

There are a LOT of adventures about terrible things in the basement, apparently
 :grin:

2 Likes

All brave adventurers start in the basement
 even if it is,
Barkeep mission #1, “please kill 7.5 rats in my basement”

We definitely have sounds for all of this. Now I need to get my other half to DM this adventure for me. This sounds right up my street with the spirits, seances and general horror vibes. Yes please.

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check all the reference you have given me.

Just going to resurrect this to say I just finished a soundset for this adventure since I’m running it for my players. I only used Syrinscape samples / sounds / resources, so I submitted it for approval as community content. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Fantastic and thanks! I shall take a look and listen :grin:

Thanks for letting us know!

Did this ever get published? I searched ‘house of lament’, house, and lament but did not see a result that looks like it was specifically designed for this adventure yet.

I don’t think it did get published, as I know the Syrinscape team has a limited number of adventures they cover each year. But if someone wanted to do a community content for that adventure, I’m sure it would be welcome!