Featured Community Soundset Feb 2017 - Rock Harbour

Each month we plan on featuring one of the amazing soundsets made by yourselves, the community. Already there are some great soundsets that have been released as Community Content, all of which are available to download and install if you are a SuperSyrin Subscriber. A full list of the Community Content already available can be viewed HERE

Our first offering is actually two soundsets Cthulhu - Rock Harbor Parts one and two (But since we missed January that’s allowed!).

Cthulhu - Rock Harbor Parts one and two By Christian Körding (New-Vision)
1927. The seaside resort of Rock Harbor, MA., offers scenic coastal landscapes, a relaxing environment and folklore to be explored. What can possibly be wrong with this place? This two part Community Content soundset created by Christian Körding (new_vision on the forums) is inspired by the Call of Cthulhu scenario “Das Geisterschiff von Caerdon”, published by Pegasus Press, and can be used to enhance the players experience while playing this adventure. A train ride, underwater tunnels, isolated islands, a small town and the conjuration of evil are ready to be used by a Keeper to drive his players into madness.

Many of you may well already know the fantastic Christian or New-Vision as he’s known on the forum, he’s always keen to offer out helpful advice and support when its needed as well as helping us out at the European shows. We decided to ask him a few questions to help you get to know him a bit better :smile:

1) So how long have you been gaming and what was the first game you played?
I have started gaming 28 years ago. My first roleplaying game was “The Dark Eye”, a famous German Fantasy roleplaying game system. After I acquired a taste for those games I nearly tried everything I could get my fingers on. Cyberpunk, Kult, Conspiracy X, AD&D, Pathfinder and of course Call of Cthulhu.

2) Are you mainly a player or a GM?
Currently I run three groups as a GM (though one group is paused at the minute) and actively play one group as a player, so this probably makes me more of a GM man.

3) When did you start using Syrinscape and how has it changed since you started
I started using it in 2014 I reckon, but only occasionally. I bought some soundsets bundles to cover the basics, but I used other programs, too, especially for background music. Then I got my first subscription and I discovered the potential that lies within Syrinscape, I got hooked – especially by using the Creator. Usability has always been good so the Creator is the best change that happened, enabling the fans to alter stuff and create their own things.

4) Which of the Syrinscape Soundsets is your current favourite?
I don’t have a favourite soundset. Each makes sense in its own context, and I like the idea of having soundsets available for whole campaigns and not just single events or locations.

5) What was your inspiration for this soundset?
I am GMing this small Call of Cthulhu scenario called “Das Geisterschiff von Caerdon” for some of my friends and, now knowing what could be done with the Creator, I decided to give it a shot and breathe some life into the little town, its surroundings and its dark mysteries. I pretty much dissected the scenario and made moods for crucial points of the story by thinking how to enhance the playing experience for the GM and the players. So it wasn’t inspiration in the common sense of building a soundset from scratch, but I wouldn’t have gathered anything if it wasn’t for this scenario.

6) What other soundsets have you released as community content?
This is my first complete soundset that was released as community content. I helped on the Catan Board game soundset by gathering the voice acting samples and providing the translation for every written and spoken line. Steffen and I created the groundwork for the two “Stranger” soundsets, providing the general mood for “Government facility” and “Upside down” – Ben made them perfect by tweaking and adding stuff to round off the edges.

7) Can you give us a tease of what content you are working on now?
I have so many ideas and not enough time to see them all through. Currently I am beginning to work on another fantasy scenario driven soundset, inspired by “Revelations from Heaven” for “The Dark Eye”. It’s will be classic fantasy soundsets (I guess there will be three soundsets in the end) providing tons of moods for the GM to bring a scenario like this to life. I have a soundset in the making inspired by the board game “Adrenaline”, as the board game sector is neglected for now. I was inspired the other day by a forum entry of someone tossing the idea of Dracula/Gothic castle, so I am brainstorming about that, and I am really eager to do more Call of Cthulhu stuff. I am running the “Beyond the Mountains of Madness” epic campaign as a GM and I would really like to make this into soundsets… Tons of soundsets!

Thanks New-Vision, You’ve done a great job and have really showed what the Creator is capable of doing. We can’t wait to hear more of your creations!

If you would like for your creations to be made as community content then let us know. The more content you share the quicker the catalog of great content will grow. Maybe your soundset might be the next featured soundset!

1 Like

More Cthulhu is always welcome! :smiley:

As for future suggestions - I know there have been several calls for mounts/vehicle chase scenes. A chariot race, a horse chase, a stampede, a Mad-Max style car race, in-atmosphere flying futuristic vehicles, normal plane dogfights (both old propellers and modern jets). Chase scenes are such classics, I could see their use in a wide variety of games.

2 Likes

Check out this years Release Schedule, This might be your lucky year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know! *bounces about in the manner of a toddler on a sugar high * So enthused when I saw the list! :smiley:

2 Likes

Yay, and YAY! :smile:

• bounces up and down on the spot