Fantasy Player crash - steady memory increase even when doing nothing

I cannot use the Fantasy Player for more than 60-90 minutes as it crashes. This seems to be related to a steady increase in memory use. Even when doing nothing.

Attached is a screenshot of Windows performance monitor showing the steady increase in memory use - starting at just over 1GB, and currently showing 2.8GB memory use after 70 minutes. This is with the player just sitting there doing nothing (not even playing).

I’m using Windows 11.

More info - at 3:47pm - after running for about 90 minutes, the memory usage levelled out at just over 3.3GB and the app crashed approximately 5 minutes later:

Here’s the Windows event log:

The text of which was:

Faulting application name: Syrinscape.exe, version: 2020.3.11.51119, time stamp: 0x60ace154
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2020.3.11.51119, time stamp: 0x60ace18e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x004504e1
Faulting process ID: 0x0x882C
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9BE30813D0599
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Syrinscape\Syrinscape.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Syrinscape\UnityPlayer.dll
Report ID: da193bdc-4c8e-46bf-8164-45c31248531b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Reading around memory use in 32-bit Unity Windows applications, most posts indicate that around 3.3GB is the maximum that can be used - which is the memory use reached when Syrinscape crashed.

@Syrinscape - could the memory increase be looked into please? It appears there is some memory leak somewhere in the code, even when doing absolutely nothing from startup. I frequently need to use Syrinscape offline and having it crash due to this issue disrupts my use and enjoyment of this great application.

Any feedback on this please Syrinscape?

Heya @martinblake1415,

Thanks for all the good info. We had a long chat about this one in our dev meeting today… and here are a few (possibly useful) (possibly not) thoughts and ideas. :slight_smile:

Firstly, annoying things you don’t really want to hear:

1. This is NOT something that is being frequently reported, and worse still, it’s not something any of us have been able to reproduce internally yet (despite trying). So it miiiiiiight be something that is unique to YOU, or to systems set up similarly to yours (since there ARE a few others that are getting this crash).
  2. This does mean it is hard for us to work on fixing.

But, things you might try that miiiight fix you up, and at LEAST give US some info that might prove useful.

1. Can you try this… run the Board Game Player under the same conditions with just its own content. Do you get the same crash?
  2. If NO to above… now make some campaigns and install a whole lot of Fantasy content in the Board Game Player and use it there. Do you get the same crash? (This miiiiiiight be a work around for the moment for you.)
  3. Run the Players WITH and WITHOUT internet access. Does this make any difference?
  4. Are you installing custom content?
  5. Try CLEARING the Cache of the Fantasy Player… (just temporarilty rename the Cache directory so you can get back to where you were before without having to reinstall everything. Run it empty.
  6. Do you get the same crash? Now install a FEW things. Do you get the same crash.

These questions will help us determine whether:

1. it is the LARGE library of Fantasy Stuff that is causing the crash
  2. LOTS of installed content
  3. a particular piece of installed content
  4. lack of internet connection.

If we can get some good, clear, reproducible info, then we might be able to steer some dev time at finding a solution.

Good hunting!! :fire: :fire_engine: :cupcake: :beers: :bug: :hammer: :pizza:

Additional infos and deets.

Download the Board Game Player here:
https://syrinscape.com/download/

Make a campaign under the Board Game Tab here:
https://syrinscape.com/account/campaigns/
And then go to the ALL tab to add Fantasy SoundSets

AND
If/when you DO get a crash, if you can find your Player.log, send that to us (probs best to do that via support@syrinscape.com, not here).

Thanks for the detailed response @benjamin

I’m doing some testing along the lines of what you’ve suggested. I’m also doing a parallel test on a Windows 10 VM I have - to see if I see the same issues there.

I’ll report back with what I find.

Thank you!

1 Like

So… lots of testing later…

I’ve been testing on a Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC and both show the same issue. The following is with the Fantasy Player - I didn’t load up a large amount of soundsets in the boardgame player.

After downloading about 130 soundsets, I see a small increase in memory that stabilises at a constant memory use level. The more soundsets I download, the higher that constant memory use level is - with the memory use slowly creeping up over 1 hour or more to the stable level.

Once I have 230 or more soundsets installed is where I begin to have crash issues - the memory use will show the usual slow increase, and when it hits a little over 3GB is when Syrinscape will crash, this can take 90 minutes or more to reach this level and the crash occurs.

Additionally, each time I download a soundset there is a jump in memory use - which I’d expect, and then it returns to the usual level (slowly increasing as previously noteded. However, once I have 230+ soundsets installed, it becomes difficult to install new soundsets - with installing one at a time being the only option as the jump in memory use can cause the app to crash.

Basically, the basline memory use is directly proportional to the number of soundsets installed - but the memory use slowly increases over time. This memory use creep isn’t noticable with less than approx. 130 soundsets installed, and it’s not really an issue with less than approx. 230 soundsets installed. But once I have a lot of soundsets installed (230+) I start having significant usage issues - Syrinscape memory use will slowly increase to the point that it crashes after around 1.5 hours, and at this point installing new soundsets can cause it to crash after just installing 3-5 soundsets.

Please let me know if you can reproduce this issue or if you need me to try something else. Thanks!

Can confirm, having the same issue as martinblake. Windows 11, and it seems to happen with too many soundsets downloaded. I’m trying to uninstall the ones I won’t use frequently to try to get it under control, but it would be helpful if this data leak could be plugged as restarting the app multiple times during a game session would not be ideal.

Thanks for your help and details on all this everybody. I can confirm we have some good leads on this prob and are hunting this bug NOW and shoooooould have something good to share in the next few weeks. Mainly it’s related to there being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more content in the app than there was before.

Stay tuned to help us test out the new builds! :robot: :fire: :fire_engine:
(there’s also some other new stuff we’ve wanted to do for ages sneaking in here as well, but I won’t mention those yet!)

Thanks for looking into this. I’ll certainly help test any potential fixes and looking forward to the new builds!

2 Likes

Hello – so the key to not have the player crash is to limit the number of installed soundsets? Let me try that – I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love it if I can stabilize that application, since the OnLine Player just is too slow – and well, seems to t/o? I’ll start a mood – all is well, then stop the mood – come back and try to start another mood or play a SFX… nothing – well, until I refresh the browser then all is well again… I don’t need this frustration… But let me try dropping all but a small subset of soundsets to see if I can get the Fantasy player to be stable.