Fantasy Ground and Syrinscape - My experience

Morning, everyone. I wanted to let everyone know about my experience with Fantasy Grounds and Syrinscape. I’ve been using Syrinscape with Fantasy Grounds for some time, but recently the integration (with a community built extension by Dulux-Oz) was substantailly enhanced with the new Fantasy Grounds upgrade.

Yesterday was my final session as a DM with my players for a module called Unknown Whom (very cool module btw). I created a bunch of Syrinscape sounds using Dulux-Oz’s extension to play whenever players took certain actions (mainly spells). So, when a wizard casts acid splash, the sound of an acid splash was automatically triggered based on the text in FG chat. I had many sounds set up to trigger.

I also had “miniboards” set up that I shared with players so they could trigger their own sounds. For example, I didn’t have many chatsound triggers for the fighter, but he could play his own sword swing, crit sounds, etc with the click of a button.

Finally, for some of the encounters, I set up some one-shot sounds that I could trigger. I had some mummy and zombie sound one-shots I triggered during those battles which was really cool.

The overall immersion was awesome and the players loved it! I streamed it on twitch and put it up on youtube as well so others could take a look at it if they want. Just look for Gwydione on twitch and/or youtube.

Just wanted to tell Ben thanks soooo much for all the work. It is so much fun running adventures and listening to players reactions when they start hearing sounds triggering based on their actions.

Thanks also to Dulux-Oz for all the tremendous work on his extensions for FG. It is phenomenal that the two programs work so well together now!

2 Likes

Let me just clarify something for those who may not be aware of it - all of Gwydione’s Syrinscape Sounds and One-Shots were triggered from inside Fantasy Grounds - yes, Syrinscape was running in the background but Gwydione and his players never had to shift their focus to the Syrinscape Player (indeed, the players didn’t have Syrinscape installed at all) - it was all done either automatically by Fantasy Grounds or triggered manual from within Fantasy Grounds - and in the case of the players sent remotely over the Net back to Gwydione’s copy of Syrinscape.

Check out the vid of the game on YouTube - it’s a lot of fun :smile:

Cheers

1 Like

That sounds awesome!!! I’ve had Fantasy Grounds (and DOESoundboard) for some time but have yet to use it online. This has definitely given me the motivation to try it! Just need to find a group now lol!

For anybody out there that wants to use Syrinscape in their Fantasy Grounds games there are some great guides in the Pro Tips category (top of the forum) that explain how to play sound and music as well as voice through Team Speak, Skype etc. Also if you install the FG extension then Dulux_Oz has written a really helpful manual.

I saw it live for real. @Gwydion had stuff auto-triggering even without him having to touch a thing.

A play cast a spell and the sound just happened!

…Sooooo coooool!

I tried to set it up earlier today following the instructions you posted up from Fantasy Grounds but couldn’t seem to get it to work. The DOE triggers worked a charm though for remote triggering! I just need to try and figure out the VOIP settings

What are you actually having trouble with, Steve?

(I’m assuming you’ve downloaded the latest versions and have read the Manual?)

Cheers

Yep I actually reinstalled it today to make sure I had the latest version and watched a couple of your tutorials. The extension works great, it’s Teamspeak that I seem to be struggling with. Locally the sound links work great and likewise the remote triggers are fine. It’s just Teamspeak (and my lack of knowledge with Teamspeak) that’s the problem.

I set up the separate identity as explained in the guide and connected to both identities using line 1 as my output but I don’t seem to be able to hear anything. I’m hoping that if I have another read through tomorrow I might find I missed a step but it had me stumped today lol

Want me to walk you through it - I’m on the FG Teamspeak Server right now

1 Like

Everything seems to be working now, Thanks for all the help @Dulux_Oz. I really appreciate it.

I’m now using Voice Meeter Banana, which works perfectly for sending voice and sound. I wouldn’t have been able to get it up and running without help! :smile:

1 Like

Oh, it wasn’t that hard, was it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Glad its working - and I know what I need to put in the Tutorial Vid now as well, so its all good!

You’ll have to let us know how it goes in an actual game - I’m sure Ben would like to know, as well as everyone else :smiley:

Cheers

2 Likes

Yes! Definitely let us know how it goes!

1 Like

So much helpingness and happyness! :slight_smile:

That’s because we want:

1. Syrinscape to do well
  2. Fantasy Grounds to do well
  3. The RPG Hobby to do well

So is it any wonder. :smile:

5 Likes

This sounds great! At some point I need to stop being lazy and set it up within FG2.

Currently I just stream over TS and DJ with the program.

@turelus Excellent! You’re more than half-way there!

Now all you need to do is download the DOE: Sound (& DOE: Base) and set up a few ChatSounds/MiniBoards - the Manual/Wiki Entry will show you how. :smile:

1 Like

Quick question - can a player have Syrinscape running for a group or does it have to be the DM using Syrinscape?

When using the DOE: Sound anyone can have the Syrinscape Player running (even up to everyone) and therefore anyone can be the one to pump the sound down the VoIP system (if that’s what you’re doing). This is one way to free up the GMs bandwidth.

Does that answer your question? :smile:

Cheers

1 Like