Discord Bot for Syrinscape to get Stereo Sound

Is there a drawback to that over using a bot?

A small one: with a bot you can be sure that all of your players hear the same sounds at the same time as you do.

Mind you, the last time I looked at this (~6months), I don’t think the web player was an option

Can we have Kenku send audio to more then one bot at a time? I’m wondering if it would be possible to use two bots in the same discord server. One taking care of Music, and the Other SFX. Just so that I would have more options and my players could have more versatility when it comes to a personal audio mix in Discord.

Oops. Ya know what I looked on Kenku’s site and already found the answer.

“At this time we are limited by Discord and can’t offer sending audio to multiple Discord channels in the same server.”

I don’t know if that also means having two bots active in the same channel but I’m assuming it is. I will experiment and find out.

For me (and other people) having your players go to a URL to get the sounds is difficult. Some of them don’t do it or they do it and accidentally close the browser. If you can count on your players to keep the Web Player open, the new Web Player is better!

If you use Discord, then all players have to get in Discord to voice chat, they are a captive audience at that point, so piping the sound through a bot in Discord ensures they all hear it. By using a Bot you also have the high quality sound that you wouldn’t get if you just sent it directly through to Discord yourself.

Also I have players in the US Mainland and some in Puerto Rico, those further away have latency on the Web Player and hear sounds after / lagged from others. In Discord they get the sounds the same time as everyone else. But, to put it into perspective the Web Player would be playing high quality for everyone, and Discord realizes there is latency and problems with someone it downgrades the audio (bitrate) so they don’t hear it in amazing quality as everyone else but they hear it at the same time.

The Web Player that Syrinscape provides is full quality audio and still the best thing to use, but Discord Bot is an option for various reasons.

Fair. I’ve found the best way for my players is via kenku and the discord bot. Sharing the screen (the web player) via discord did get a bit taxing on my system during a campaign. Mostly because I had a million windows open. Roll20, dndbeyond, everyones character sheets in DDB, 3d rolling, sysrinscape, video streaming on discord etc. So I switched to the kenku method and it’s worked really really well. The players while captive as you mention, can adjust the volume accordingly. What I like to do is pipe the music in via the bot and kenku at about a 70% volume. Let them adjust it to their liking. Then when I have an important one shot sound I send it through at 100% to make sure the attention is received.

The web link option provided and worked on hard by syrinscape is appreciated, but with some technically challenged players… even just keeping a window open is a challenge. In discord, they are already there and you can ensure the bot is operating, though they can turn the volume down all the way if they wanted.

So, I agree with you. Now. :slight_smile:

oh and THANK YOU for the tutorial. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just FYI, I’ve found that using firefox for the web player is MUCH easier on my PC than using chrome. Might just be me though…

1 Like

Thank you for posting that! I’ve been having an issue that I started troubleshooting and I sent an email late last night to syrinscape begging for help. (I’m sure they will respond soon) Basically I’ve been noticing lag when playing via the web player. So much lag that it stutters/crackles/and seemingly bends the audio out of tune. It’s pretty aweful actually. I checked all my hardware and drivers and all that. But no matter the audio was bad. I downloaded the offline player and the sound worked beautifully.

I checked all my networking setup (I’m an OG network tech) and everything looked really good. I just couldn’t figure out why I was getting the lag.

In alllll my troubleshooting I didn’t do one of the most basic things. TRY ANOTHER BROWSER.

So thank you for that kind suggestion as I tried it and you know what? Firefox has 0 of the problems I’m having with Chrome. Well… maybe a tiny bit but barely noticeable by me and it certainly won’t be by my players.

So thanks for the firefox tip. Now that I think about it. The chrome extensions I have installed could also be a bit of the culprit so a fresh firefox install dedicated to syrinscape is a great move.

For clarity. I installed and tested it on firefox and it was great. Tried multiple soundscapes. Then immediately went into chrome and tried them. (bad) went back to firefox (good) back to chrome (bad).

So thank you again. :slight_smile:

1 Like