Cthulhu: Masks of Nyarlathotep

Since you’re dwelling into Chthulhu now (just saw the demo of the Chtulhu Rises)
Masks of Nyarlathotep, this iconic campaign deserves a soundset.

It’s been having a big revival in France/Canada due to sans-detour.com bringing back the campaign in 7th edition deluxe campaign.

It would be great if some soundsets would be made to accompany the main chapters of the campaign (NY, London, Cairo, Kenya, Australia, Shangai).
Some typical music/background sounds for those cities and offcourse the necessary add-on: fanatic cultists, gloomy music bits, etc

This could very well work like the soundset for the Pathfinder AP’s: One soundset per city/chapter.

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea, but I think one soundset wouldn’t be enough to cover a brilliant campaign like this. Imagine how many scenes (simply compare it to creating a movie) have to be made to let it be awesome. I thought the same about the Beyond the Mountains of Madness epic campaign and tried to make “a quick soundset” for it. I gathered moods for every mayor scene and ended having like 50 (!) moods for the first campaign chapter alone. Felt so helpless! :slight_smile:

Maybe some people can gather and make a great community content for the campaign, how does that sound?

2 Likes

I think we need to see this as Syrinscape did for Pathfinder AP’s:

• created a general background theme. (exemple: NY city Streets 1920s, Busy labyrinth streets of Cairo 1920s)
  • create some (5/6) for main scenes in the chapter (exempl: NY Ju Ju Boutique, Cairo inside the pyramid ritual)

Not everything can be covered, but this would already give a very good base (I get mostly everything covered in Rise of the Runelords AP for example).

I will start to have a look at the Soundset Creator myself and see what I can come up with (since I’m planning on starting the Masks by end of year).

I will share whatever I find.

Are we allowed to share soundset that contain “copyrighted music” ? (from soundtracks, from other mp3 sound creator, etc ?

I agree with you there, breaking up the campaign into smaller pieces. If one would compare the content of Runelords to Masks it is obvious that it is very comparable.

That would leave us with 30 soundsets for Masks. As I already have created some soundsets I can assure you, that this will be the HELL of a project to complete. And having done that by the end of the year won’t work.

Nontheless it would be cool. You should create a roadmap of what you think is crucial, that helps a lot during creation.

About sharing and copyrighted content the answer is simple:

No!

Uploading it on the server for “PERSONAL USE ONLY” is okay afaik. But to make it into community content you have to follow strict copyright rules. You can use every sample Syrinscape provides, every sample you created yourself (from scratch of course, you being the author of everything used), samples covered by the CC0 license and samples covered under CC3 attribution, with giving the proper credit for the sample used.

Hi Fellas! Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Cthulhu concept in which we are embarking. I’ll be info gathering about more Cthulhu content and chatting with the boss about what should be added. Oh, I’m Gil by the way. Just thought I’d pop in and see what people are saying about the sci-fi sets I’ve created. Feel free to PM me anytime with suggestions. Cheers!

2 Likes

I’ll surely keep posting in this threat as well as sending you some PM’s about possible Cthulhu content then.
Thanks for the cheers Gil

Sounds to me like maybe it’s time to break out the “Syrinscape: Horror” app. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, half our Sci-fi SoundSets this year will be Cthulhu themed. (2 done already).

So excited!