Controlling Syrinscape Online with Foundry VTT

This is not the most elegant solution, but here is how you can control what Syrinscape plays with Foundry VTT. At least until there is a hopefully more integrated way.
There are two ways to do this:

1. Journal Entries: useful for changing moods, or certain one time sounds.
  2. Macros: useful for repeating one shots such as from spells.

Both methods require you to copy the play link from either the mood or the sound from the Syrinscape online master interface.

1. Click the Hamburger in the upper right.
  2. Click “Show Remote Control Links”
  3. Click on the little play button (or stop if you want to trigger a stop) on the upper left of the mood or sound you want. It should say “Copied!”
  4. Save that link for use in one of the methods below

Journal Entries:
This is the simplest option, simply paste the link from above into your journal entry. You can then simply click on the link and it will play the mood or sound.
I generally put something like Syrinscape: Soundset-Mood and turn that into a link, but you do you.

Note, this will open a new tab which probably will take focus. I found that annoying and found a chrome plugin to force new tabs to the background.

Macros
I mainly use this to trigger sounds from spells or weapons. There are a few ways you can accomplish this, but let’s create the Macro first.

1. Create a Macro
  2. Name it something like “Spell:SpellName”
  3. Change type to “Script”
  4. Enter this code: fetch('-LINK-', { mode: 'no-cors'})
  5. Replace -LINK- with the link copied above (leave the surrounding ’ ’ )
  6. Test by clicking “Execute Macro”

Triggering the Macro
The simplest way is to just drag the the Macro to the hot bar and either the DM or player can click the button which will trigger the sound.
If you want to automate it on certain spells or magic attacks, there are two ways.

1. Create a spell Macro by dragging the spell to the hotbar, then edit it to include the code from above. I find this way a bit messy, and you can only have a limited amount of items in your hotbar.
  2. Install the midi-qol module, and in it’s workflow settings enable “Add macro to call on use”. That will place a field at the bottom of every spell or attack Details tab labeled “On Use Macro”. Type your macro name there, and it will call it each time the player or DM uses that ability.

~DrWiFi

2 Likes

This is great, thanks for sharing!

Awesome! :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to make this post. Spread the word on Foundry VTT Discord?

Next step, use our REST API to call for SoundSets info and populate dropdowns etc inside Foundry to select sounds without having to copy and paste from the Master UI? (this is what people have done for Fantasy Grounds (and others) = text searchable etc) :panda_face: :chopsticks:

1 Like

I will leave the next programming step for someone with more experience :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Primary schoolboy raising hand…

Restapi is what again? I actually understood everythi but that. It was nt the capitalisation that threw me. I get yelled at often by clients.

I am getting the pages opening, but I still am not getting any sound to come out.

Hi @archaratar why don’t you hit us up on the support email.
support at syrinscape dot com
And we can sort you out.
Give us a bit of an idea of what you are needing help with. What are you doing? :slight_smile: What are you hoping to happen etc. :bug: :hammer:

I am very new to Foundry(just defected from Roll20) and have been in e mail contact with the very helpful Steve, however one of the things I really like about Foundry is being able to have a sound playing, like a roaring fireplace that can only be heard when your token goes near it.

How does this work with this method? Or how do you get a sound to start playing as soon as you load a scene?

We have recently relaxed the CORS restrictions on our Rest API, so the { mode: 'no-cors'} in the code snippet above should no longer be necessary, and the use our REST API to call for SoundSets info … bit should be possible Cross-Origin without the use of CORS proxies now :slight_smile: :partying_face:

1 Like

This post says “…either the DM or player can click the button which will trigger the sound.” My players get no sound when they click the macros that I’ve created. Suggestions?

Hi, I’ve replied on thread you started here = Players not able to play Syrinscape sounds in Foundry VTT

:slight_smile:

When will Syrinscape allow us to use the sounds we are paying for more easily, with the above methods will still can not use the sounds for “Ambient Sounds” this is by far the best way to use sounds from a DM point of view as once its set there is nothing to do from a DM point of view its totally automated.

Very disapointed that this still hasnt been addressed (unless I am missing something?)

Huge delay on effect sounds, from you roll the dice till the sound appears, which is the biggest problem so far for me