Changing music every time I click the button - RESOLVED

I’m trying to produce a list of musical accompaniments to sections of the game I’m about to run, but I’m finding it impossible.

When I click on (for example) “Fight Music”, it plays a different song every time I do it. One sounds like a 1990s videogame, another like an amazing movie fight scene, and a few others.

Is there any way to ensure I’m actually going to play the music I WANT to play instead of this randomised stuff?

It all depends on which music mood you chose for your fighting music. The best way to ensure you always get the music you want, is to use the Soundset Creator to adjust the playlist, that is behind every mood there is, and either alter an existing one or create a new one. That way you can use only the music tracks that fit your kind of wanted atmosphere and/or playstyle.

:smiley:

I made my own mood.

This is selecting the same element in the same mood multiple times and it playing different music.

The music in Syrinscape is in most cases grouped into several tracks under one element, so when you trigger that element Syrinscape will randomly play through the tracks it contains. In a few cases “Witchwood” for example tracks are listed separately so you can select the individual track you want but in most cases they are grouped together, so when you start the mood, say battle for instance Syrinscape will randomly play through all of the tracks within that element.

If you are wanting to build your own soundsets and have full control of the musical elements then that’s where the Syrinscape Soundset Creator comes in. With the creator you can create your own elements, use our music and samples or import your own. You can also alter all of the timings, location and reverb on the samples allowing you full customisation.

Yeah, my bad! Don’t know why i wrote mood when i meant elements. Sorry for the mix up. As @Steve already said - the element level is the place, where you can make the changes/alterations i suggested.I blame the heat for my mushy brain! :male_detective:

How can I tell if an element is one piece of music or 50, so I don’t completely mess up a serious combat moment by playing chiptunes at the players? I seem to play the same element twice and it plays two different pieces of music.

The music in an element is appropriate to the soundset, so if you are in a battle soundset the element “battle music” will play several pieces of music appropriate to a battle, likewise if you are are a tavern the element “tavern music” will play several pieces of music appropriate to a tavern.

Some soundsets such as Witchwood have individual music tracks which are clearly marked, for example “music, a nervous wait” or “music, echoes”

If you want fine control of the individual music tracks then that is where you will need the Syrinscape Soundset Creator so you can build your own elements and set up the music exactly as you want

So, a “Randomised selection” of music is listed as “$THEME music”, whereas an individual music track is listed as “music, $THEME”?

This isn’t clear in the UI as to what it’s meant to do at all. Help!

Almost all of the music elements in Syrinscape are a collection of pieces of music appropriate to the soundset. When you click a mood or just the element it will play through the pieces of music contained in that element. You can double tap the symbol next to the elements name to make it play a different piece of music but you can not select a specific piece of music from within that element.

A small number of soundsets have elements that contain just one piece of music, these elements show the name of the song and when activated will just play the one track on repeat.

In the case of Witchwood the top two elements “music (long delay” and "music (no delay) both contain multiple musical scores. The five elements below those, for example, “Music (Darkelf Harpist)” are single pieces of music and will just play the song named in the elements title.

Does that make more sense?

To make Syrinscape play the music you want you need to either only use the elements that contain one song like the “Darkelf Harpist” example above or build a soundset in the Syrinscape Soundset Creator where you have built different elements for each song that you want.

Ok - I think I understand, but I’m still confused about one thing.

I’ve solely been using the Syrinscape Soundset Creator.

You mention that nearly all music elements contains multiple pieces of music (which is frustrating, as I can’t maintain a musical theme in that case), but you also say that I can have different elements for each piece of music.

So, my questions:

1. How can I have different elements for each piece of music, if I can’t find the individual tracks to create those elements, and the vast majority of options available to me are to use the random music elements? For example, is there a list of tracks so I can create those elements from scratch, or must I use already-existing elements in the Soundset creator?

2. If I have to use the existing elements, how can I tell the difference between an element that randomly selects music, and an element with just one piece of music?

Syrinscape is designed to be dynamic and non-repetitive, so when you click a mood the music just like the sounds will be randomised from the list of songs/samples within that soundset. Those songs however will be themed to match the soundset so as I said above the songs in a battle soundset will be high tempo pieces of music to suit

The musical elements in Syrinscape that WE have built often contain multiple tracks, you however can make an element however you like. If you want an element to only play one song or sample then only put one sample in it. Syrinscape will play the element exactly as you have set it up

Within the Creator you can create an new element and then search for musical samples within the sample library or you can open up existing elements from the list and remove the samples that you don’t want. Open the Element Playlist tab to see a full list of what samples are within the element.

Ben’s Video’s help explain in detail how to use the Creator and how to build elements using samples from our library and those you have imported. If you haven’t watched them then I’d really recommend them as they will help guide you through the main steps of building a custom soundset

Thank you - This thread has been incredibly helpful for me to understand the nitty-gritty of how some of this stuff works.

I’ll take another look at Ben’s videos.

1 Like

No problem at all, The Syrinscape Soundset Creator is a powerful tool and takes some getting used to. We are always happy to help.

And remember if you create any content that you think others would like to use and that doesn’t contain any copyrighted material then let us know and we can make it Community content :slight_smile: